Homesteading Forum banner
421 - 440 of 464 Posts

·
Registered
10,613 Posts
I have written this about our retirement budget before but think it is important to mention it again. We always put 10% of our net retirement income into an “Inflation Account” simply because every year everything goes up in price and the income increases do not match the expense increases.

The increases may be small or large but they certainly bite deeply into the money you actually have to spend over a year.

Examples from the past couple of years.

Internet $3 a month = $36 per year

Telephone $1 a month = $12 per year

Sewer and Water $4 per month -= $48 per year

Garbage $2 per month - $24 per year

Property Tax $250 per year (nothing this year for the first time ever!) - $250 per year

Property Insurance $142 last year and $155 this year = $297 in two years or 148.50 per year

Car Insurance dropped $75 per year – minus $75

Groceries we added $100 a month in two years = $1200 per year

A total of $1643.50 of additional expenses added to our retirement budget (not everything included). Thankfully we have the Inflation Account to cushion the increases.

We can of course cut back and cut things out completely (no more sweets or soft drinks in our food budget and cheaper car insurance because we drive a lot less especially for outings) but there are things we have no control over.

We have searched for cheaper but still dependable property insurance but everyone is increasing their prices. Nothing surprising as the Insurance industry did warn us that with all the natural disasters from climate change around the world insurance was going to go up dramatically in price and also be more limited in what the companies will cover.

·
Expect the unexpected
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #422 ·
I been trying to keep a cushion in case of unexpected expenses.

Today grocery shopping in a store, I find quite pricey, I was still able
to find some bargains. I had a small gift card to the store I needed to use.
I found frozen pumpkin pies for $ 2 each. Must have been on sale, because
still in code date. So I got 3 to put in the freezer. They have to be cooked.
Can't put the ingredients together to beat this price.

And I found some dry bean soup, 16 kinds in one bag. Goya brand.
It was $ 2.49 a 1 pound bag. I just did a google search and see I can
get if for $ 1.99 at another store locally. I would have searched it before
this but I did not know a company that made it. Now I know :)
It's a comfort food way back when for me.
So I guess I need to get out of my comfort zone more often and
go to different grocery stores. Aldi's is great for most stuff I get but
just does not have the bigger selections.

·
Expect the unexpected
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #423 ·
I been working on different ideas for the birds. I have bantams and only 3 regular size, the leghorns.
I also have some ducks. I got some free dry dog food at 20 % protein and put in a bowl with water to
get it soft. The chickens seem to like it. The price of their regular grain keeps going up.
I also have the garden and the birds enjoy what I give them from that. Any surplus eggs I hard boil
and feed to the birds minus the shells. My ducks also enjoy the eggs as a treat.

Going to do a inventory checkup soon for what we need in the house.
Would rather stay home and not have to go out too much this winter in this Covid mess.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Sometimes a person has to spend money to save money.so I bought a food saver.now my next shopping trip is coming up.the food saver is allowing me to stock on meat.in which a certain amount of meat will go into food saver bags.my next to buy item will be a pastacio sheller. Then most of them will go into food saver bags.

·
Registered
10,613 Posts
You do have to spend money to save money. One of the most important budget categories we have is for Stocking Up. It is separate funding from our standard grocery and household budget. This allows us to buy huge quantities of items when they are on sale without using up our basic grocery budget. We have saved thousands of dollars over the years by spending thousands but always buying on sale.

We also keep a price book of our items showing the best sales prices we get and very importantly when the sales take place. Where is also needed.

Last month we stocked up on toilet paper again. Enough to last until next summer. The reason was that this was the best price for the best toilet paper in over a year. Half price. Normally $34.99 but on for $17.99. 10 Packs and we saved $170. A bit hard to find storage for these huge packs but we managed.

And of course we bought with the card that gives us grocery points. Buy putting all of our expenses on this credit card which gives points for all purchases we get between $800 and $1000 of free groceries every year. We pay the card off at the end of each month so never pay interest and there is no annual fee on the card.

·
Premium Member
41,343 Posts
You do have to spend money to save money. One of the most important budget categories we have is for Stocking Up. It is separate funding from our standard grocery and household budget. This allows us to buy huge quantities of items when they are on sale without using up our basic grocery budget. We have saved thousands of dollars over the years by spending thousands but always buying on sale.

We also keep a price book of our items showing the best sales prices we get and very importantly when the sales take place. Where is also needed.

Last month we stocked up on toilet paper again. Enough to last until next summer. The reason was that this was the best price for the best toilet paper in over a year. Half price. Normally $34.99 but on for $17.99. 10 Packs and we saved $170. A bit hard to find storage for these huge packs but we managed.

And of course we bought with the card that gives us grocery points. Buy putting all of our expenses on this credit card which gives points for all purchases we get between $800 and $1000 of free groceries every year. We pay the card off at the end of each month so never pay interest and there is no annual fee on the card.
How does spending money on toilet paper save money? One wash cloth plus a bit of soap and water is way cheaper and does a better job.

·
Registered
10,613 Posts
How does spending money on toilet paper save money? One wash cloth plus a bit of soap and water is way cheaper and does a better job.
Go ahead and do this to save money if this pleases you. You will not be the first. The Romans used a sea sponge on a stick - because it was all they had. I did the washing before when I was young. Washing dirty diapers, snotty handkerchiefs and blood soaked reusable sanitary pads loses its charm very quickly.. And you do use a lot of water and it must be hot. And the amount of fecal matter you get on your hands and the wash cloths is very difficult to fully eliminate. Boiling helps but that costs a lot of electricity or wood. Not to mention the waste of time when you could be doing other more productive and cost efficient activities.

·
Registered
10,613 Posts
Lots of work to successfully remove fecal matter from cloth. Not only do you need supplies including very hot water but you have to consider the time it takes and the fact that the work load is constant. I can earn enough money to buy toilet paper for weeks just working half an hour.

If you seriously use your hands to clean yourself then you should consider installing a bidet. Has worked wonderfully well all over the world.

·
Registered
10,613 Posts
How to Wash Clothes With Poop On Them
Remove as much poop as possible. Soak the garment in warm water for 30 minutes, then apply an enzymatic cleaner to the affected area. Let that sit for 15 minutes before putting the garment in the wash. Run a hot, heavily-soiled cycle, with detergent. If there are still stains, run an extra cycle with bleach or white vinegar. Tumble dry.

·
Premium Member
41,343 Posts
How to Wash Clothes With Poop On Them
Remove as much poop as possible. Soak the garment in warm water for 30 minutes, then apply an enzymatic cleaner to the affected area. Let that sit for 15 minutes before putting the garment in the wash. Run a hot, heavily-soiled cycle, with detergent. If there are still stains, run an extra cycle with bleach or white vinegar. Tumble dry.
You can also put them in a cauldron, boil them for two hours while constantly stirring, change water, repeat twice more, then beat them on a flat rock next to a steam of flowing water for an hour. When finished bring to house, run through washing machine on heavy soiled cycle three times... tumble dry.

or

wet washcloth in warm water, apply a bit of soap, clean bottom, rinse with warm water immediately.

I prefer the latter method.

·
Registered
10,613 Posts
To each his own but not something I consider hygienic enough. Particularly if children. are using the wash cloth method. To have fecal matter on their hands (even small amounts because you know they are not using nail brushes or the same washing techniques as surgeons) when they come into the kitchen would make anyone gag. Rinsing the washcloth is not enough to remove fecal matter or bacteria. Toilet hygiene is the main reason the world grows millions of trees - helps with oxygen as well.

·
Premium Member
41,343 Posts
To each his own but not something I consider hygienic enough. Particularly if children. are using the wash cloth method. To have fecal matter on their hands (even small amounts because you know they are not using nail brushes or the same washing techniques as surgeons) when they come into the kitchen would make anyone gag. Rinsing the washcloth is not enough to remove fecal matter or bacteria. Toilet hygiene is the main reason the world grows millions of trees - helps with oxygen as well.
One question here, what laundry process do you employ for your washcloths used for bathing? You know, the ones you use to wash your bottom with after smearing fecal matter on it with paper?

·
Premium Member
22,505 Posts
I crush up any excess eggs shell and all. It gives them extra calcium.
We do that as well.

Do you dry yours before crushing? I keep the supply of eggshells near the range, and pop in a tray or two after using the oven. Really makes it easier to crush them up.

·
Expect the unexpected
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #440 ·
I am going to take some time and reread this thread.
Trying to get myself into thinking outside the box. Got to be creative.
Motivate myself to do things I have not done in awhile to save money.
Groceries are one thing I have some control over. Going to make a
small price book to carry with me so I can check it if need be in a store.

421 - 440 of 464 Posts