As the budget tightens, what cuts have you made ?

Discussion in 'Homesteading and Retirement' started by ladytoysdream, Apr 16, 2017.

1. ladytoysdream

ladytoysdream Expect the unexpected Supporter

Well still making ends meet, but there are days that things happen and
    cause some interesting bumps in the road.
    Ended up giving up soda. And it looks like the hubby is almost there also.
    He drinks root bear and I can't stand it, so his bottle is safe from me. His last
    bottle lasted quite awhile, and now he is out, and if he don't complain, I won't buy
    any more of it. Been buying apple juice in a 64 ounce bottle for $ 1.09.
    I usually get like 3 of them at a time. Cider is real good but more pricey.
    Sometimes I make kool aide and that is okay. Other than that, I drink water
    and only 1 cup of coffee a day. I don't drink tea, or milk. I love orange juice
    but can't seem to justify the cost.

We recently stocked up on turkey for the freezer. When the price hit 50 cents a
    pound, I bought :) Also ended up with a free one from a turkey giveaway event.

The new SS increase did not help me. Because my health premium ate it up.
    So still getting the same amount for the net payment, this will be the 3rd year in a row.

2. Grafton County Couple

Grafton County Couple Well-Known Member

For the misses/me it's "cut your coat according to your cloth".

3. emdeengee

emdeengee Well-Known Member

Our retirement includes setting aside a 10% of net income budget for inflation every month. The government idea of what is inflation covers many things but leave out a lot as well. Keeping track of expenses and prices from year to year is really the only way to know what has changed and this will be different in every geographic region.

Everything goes up in price every year so it is vital to still save for this. You can cut expenses, be as self -sufficient as possible but eventually you will not be able to cut any more and lose the ability to do all that you used to do. Just the reality of age.

4. frogmammy

frogmammy Well-Known Member Supporter

As far as phone costs are concerned...check out Ting, or TracFone. Used Tracfone for a couple decades. Recently left Ting and went back to Tracfone because my needs changed. Ting charges for what you ACTUALLY use, AFTER you've used it. I spent 2-3 years with a $7 a month phone bill using them, and still had a cell phone when I needed one. But, I needed more data now, so went back to Tracfone on a prepaid $15 a month charge, with rollover for minutes and data.

Mon

5. jimLE

jimLE Well-Known Member

I'm using a safelink phone through track phone.in which it don't cost me 1cent,i have another phone,but with a invalid sim càrd.i use it 2hen I have wifi internet access.a and the safelink phone when I don't.

6. frogmammy

frogmammy Well-Known Member Supporter