As the budget tightens, what cuts have you made ?

Discussion in 'Homesteading and Retirement' started by ladytoysdream, Apr 16, 2017.

1. CountryMom22

CountryMom22 Well-Known Member

I used to buy books, used, from garage sales or the yearly library sale but now I limit myself to using the library's services so I can borrow books, CD's and movies for nothing. And by signing up for my Library's automatic renewal plan, there are no over due book fees either. And a bunch of friends and I use the free library box that is set up in the local laundramat. You take whatever books you want to read and return whenever you are done. I also donate lots of books to them that are given to me by others. It helps to keep the house tidier too. Friends and I swap books amongst ourselves before we donate them to this little library box too.

I have a friend that is in a difficult financial position, so she comes to the gym with me as my guest and doesn't have to pay for a membership herself. It doesn't save me money on the membership, but she will offer to drive if we are leaving from home, so I save on gas. If not, we meet in the parking lot.

2. In The Woods

In The Woods Well-Known Member

Fugality has been the norm for me all my life. Maybe it has something to do with my father living through the Great Depression?

For myself, it is simply staying away from stores and websites. We do our grocery run twice a month. We have a running list on the dining room table with an inventory of food and staples in our pantry. When you take something from the pantry, you put it on the list to be replaced at the next grocery run. Then during the run, if it is on the list it is purchased - nothing more.

This is just my broad view of the subject.

3. pixiedoodle

pixiedoodle Well-Known Member

i got dd over here to take a load of freezer stuff... all those soups i made in the past yr-6 mths that had sodium went home with my dd. shared a good deal of roast, a turkey breast, hamburger etc. she was quite loaded down & it has now filled HER freezer. glad it didn't get tossed. what she doesn't like she can dispose of or pass it on, or feed it to the dogs? anyway, i now see that our ig upright frzr is lookin g pretty empty . however it is loaded with frozen toms & shreded zuc from last yrs garden. hope to turn the zuc. into spicy relish & the toms into juice , v-8 or soup to go back into the frzr. found a few pkgs of meat so that was a nice bonus for dh. i still think it will take into fall to use up SOME of the meats. hope by oct. the meats will be used & it will be time to buy a fresh batch for dh... nothing will go to waste. now that we are older & our dietary needs have changed, we may not need that big of a frzr. maybe we can swap with dd & take her small one & give her out big one. makes sense to me.

COSunflower and MoBookworm1957 like this.
  4. emdeengee

emdeengee Well-Known Member

We have (and will) cut down and cut out expenses . Some of these will be the natural outcome of retirement (less gasoline when you don't have to travel every day) and others will be our choice (cheaper internet packages). However expenses will continue to rise and it is unlikely that pensions will rise at the same rate so I think that it is important to keep earning some extra income especially in the early years of retirement when most will still have good health. After the huge financial crash in 2008 (and the idiotic repealing of laws intended to protect the investors against the crooked big banks and investment firms) I would never put my trust for retirement in our investments growing to keep up with expenses.

5. Jeani

Jeani Member

We cut way back on all nonessentials. Define wants from needs. Yup, it's tight but doable. No animals anymore and just grow stuff in the garden that we use and can, can, can

6. pixiedoodle

I'LL POST THIS HERE AS WELL:
    I HAVE BOUT 300+ PINT CANNING JARS I WOULD LIKE TO SELL. ASKING 30 CENTS EACH... also have several waterbath canners of various sizes. some not used. i have some qt jaras as well but not so many. if you buy all my jars i'll throw in a water bath canner or 2.
    i am in a burb of kansas city on ks side.

COSunflower and MoBookworm1957 like this.
  7. lmrose

lmrose Well-Known Member

We are in transition in the way we live. After sub-dividing our small farm we haven't yet sold it so money is limited. We have had many offers but can't sell until we have a camping place set up on the land we kept. So far next year's garden spot is dug up, prepared; planted with Buck Wheat for a cover crop and fenced. My husband is building an outhouse presently. Before winter the building he made for a garden/ agricultural building shed has to have two more windows and needs a basement door and shingles. He also needs to build a movable shed big enough for a goat and 4 hens They will board in the winter..We need a trailer of some kind to live in from April to November. The trailer and more building supplies cost quite a bit. We have an apartment in town where we will both be when the snow flies.
    With rent for the apt which includes heat; cell phone, power; the land line we still have at the farm and internet ;our fixed monthly expenses are $782 a month . My own income is $1,037. a month. That leaves $255. a month for grocery items or anything else. So here is how I budget every month.
    First the land line will be gone when we live in town for the winter. That will be $40 off of fixed expenses. So there will be $295. a month for anything not fixed expenses. I budget monthly as things change month to month. This month I have to pay the eye surgeon $265. for the lens he is putting in my eye hoping I can see after. The operation is covered by our public health insurance but the lens is not. That is the least expensive lens but I will still need glasses to see up close. After I pay that there will be left $30 for the remainder of July! But that is okay as we are eating out of the garden and what I canned and froze and dehydrated last year.
    Also when we need toilet tissue, Borax for washing clothes. dish liquid, honey, w/w flour, oats. maple syrup, yeast. sunflower oil, butter, peanut butter,cheese, flax seed, chia seeds,nuts or spices,and red wine vinegar I keep a close eye on the pantry and only buy these things when they are on sale. Not on sale items wait until they come on sale.If I want too I could eliminate some of the list and we would eat fine still. But so far there is no need too.That basically is all I buy from a store.
    We keep minimal clothing and I get what we need on sale or from thrift shops. I gave up purchasing anything new not on sale years ago. Now with renting an apt it is costing us more to live but at almost 71 and 72 yrs we don't feel like having hard work to do in the winter anymore. How we live in town comes out of my pension not my husbands. We said if we were going to pay rent in town it had to be done on one pension because if one of us dies the remaining person does not get to keep the others Old Age Pension. So by living in town on one pension we know either of us could survive alone if we had too.

My husband uses his pension to buy the materials he needs to finish our camp site we are keeping; for his personal needs; like gas for his car or glasses etc. and animal feed.What ever is left each month we save for our cremation account or savings acct. I also save all our nickels; dimes and quarters. You would be surprised how they can add up and are used for anything extra like the occasional ice cream treat or extra gas to visit someone or like we did a few months ago; we went to see the movie Maudie. We consider his pension an extra blessing. Without it we couldn't afford a trailer or to fix a place to camp. In the future if we lose our pensions in government cut backs we will be ready to camp full time if we have to give up the apt. I also have given away and sold everything we don't need and my husband is doing the same with tools etc.
    We have always believed in living within our income no matter what that income is. We are better off now than in past decades when we were so poor one year we couldn't afford toilet tissue! So we are trying to prepare for our later years before anything drastic happens to our health.
    One thing we will always do is plant a garden and eat our own food to try to stay healthy . That is our plan and we are sticking to it.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  8. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Very timely topic. This past year has been an expensive one for us with car repairs and one vehicle totaled. I did manage to pay off two vehicles but the new one has a payment so I only really paid off half the autos! I am seriously considering re-homing several of my goats and pea fowl. I would like to keep 3 goats and maybe a pair of pea fowl. I really enjoy them running around the farm. My feed bill is almost up to 300 per month and that has got to go. The house is paid for but the taxes and insurance are almost three grand a year paid once per year. I am going to look into lower cost taxes for disabled seniors maybe. My current plan is to get the new car paid off asap. If I lived alone I would do away with the tele but my DB and DD would tie me up and put me in a closet. Unfortunately they do not pay the bills...We are eating much less pre made food and living 30 from the closest restaurant is a blessing. I buy several of things I find on sale and have a well stocked pantry with lots of items canned last year

9. Forcast

Forcast Well-Known Member

Reduced home insurance, cut trash pick up, one car only, reduced trips, cut cable phone internet, no farm animals, reduced xmas gifts to gchildren only, same with birthdays, pay bills online no stamps, food shop once month.unplugged everything.

10. MoBookworm1957

MoBookworm1957 Well-Known Member

CountryMom22,
    Have you checked out BookBub and or Google Play?
    They have free books for your tablet or laptop.
    Sometimes you can get a book for $.49 before it goes free.
    I joined a round robin for books a few years ago.
    Started out with 15 people now down to 7.
    Beings I read everything it helps me with books.

pixiedoodle, COSunflower and ShannonR like this.
  11. hunter63

hunter63 Well-Known Member

Quitting smoking saves me $5200 buck a year.
    Actually cut back on the garden.

Started, grew and harvested,.... canned, froze, dried.....what used to be for 4 people to two that have cut back on eating..

We had put back too much...and was not getting used....Hate tossing stuff...but also hate eating "sniffed food"...as in "does this smell OK to you?"
    (BTW LOTS ON BALL JARS TO SELL as well) SE Wisconsin.

So instead of freezing zucchini for 4 years then tossing it......t is over.
    Got rid if a big old upright freezer to a small chest .......
    These days gardening is "Going to the Farmers Market" a day or two a week and an "outing and exercise

Media....is a big deal...phone (2 flip cells), MiFi Hotspot (interweb work everywhere), Dish+2 (Place).
    Looking for options for TV...1000 channels and about 7 or 8 we actually watch....(nothing ON)

Fixing on a large yard sale.....and will be selling the big boat....and dump trailer

12. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

Only cut backs I did was ditch the cell phone and high speed internet since I wasn't working anymore and when my coffee maker died I went back to using the 1970s era perk pot instead of buying a new coffee maker

13. hunter63

hunter63 Well-Known Member

Went to the gym this morning for my work out.....
    On the way home...called DW and asked what she was planning on for brunch....Had my muffin at 7: 00 am.

Said she didn't know.....so I suggested Subs from Subway.....off the low calorie menu

2 -foot longs $14 bucks......(no dressing, make them soggy)...no chips or soda.
    Cut in half ... .. Lemonade and Baked chips...

Other half for lunch tomorrow.
    4 meals, $3.50 each..... No dishes, no cooking......no wasted cold cuts... 4 kinds, cheese from deli, and all the veggies.
    Am I a bad person?.....Bhohahaha

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    pixiedoodle and MoBookworm1957 like this.
  14. pixiedoodle

never thot about sub sandwich that way but think we might give it try. we have a sub about once a yr... this would be a treat for us. I've tried making those & the ingredients are quite costly! good idea hunter 63!!

15. In The Woods

In The Woods Well-Known Member

We do that with Subway when we do our grocery runs every other week. Convenient since there is a Subway right inside WalMart. I will also get it made dry and add my Itilian dressing when I eat it later (Mrs. has her mayo).

On our runs I do treat myself to a bowl of chili at Wendy's for lunch. I really like it and fills me up for $2.79 (not sure of price).

pixiedoodle likes this.