Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a tool around the homestead that has multiple uses? One that you seem to reach for more than others and don't know what you would do without?

For me, it's the old-timey American made come-along. Not the cobbled-up Chinese variety. In fact, one like this:

http://www.baileysonline.com/Tools-...and-Winches/2-Ton-Capacity-Ratchet-Puller.axd

I had to use one just this last Friday, to drop a tree where it needed to go.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I've got one just like that - Mostly just pull busted machines up on the trailer with mine. It's really heavy to lug around but boy that baby will pull.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My pliers come to mind first. I carry Craftsman 6" slip joint pliers in a leather holster everyday around the farm. There is rarely a day (like never) that goes by that I don't reach to my side and pull them for something.

They're such a part of me that I find myself reaching for them even when I'm not in my work duds with them at my side.

The Craftsman's cut wire well (which is a must), and hold up well. My complaint is that they've changed the grips, from a dipped rubber grip, to a slide on grip. There is no comparison. The old grips would just wear down till you got to bare metal, but they wouldn't come off, or break into chunks like the new ones.

2nd tool is the headlamp. While everyone else is in watching tv at 8pm on a winter evening (because where I live it gets dark at 6 in the winter time), I'm out going strong with my headlamp.
Always focused where you need it and leaving your hands free, it is a must!

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
I'm the same way, except my go-to tool is channel lock pliers. At least five times a day, sometimes fifty times a day. I glue the grips on with a little Goop and dip the worn out ones in something like PlastiDip, but a different brand I can't remember (maybe Loctite) that has a better texture for gripping when wet.

·
Registered
9,511 Posts
That one is easy:

I think the handiest tool in the world are my Klein side-cuts. They are used by most electric linemen...outstanding quality.

·
Registered
5,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That one is easy:

I think the handiest tool in the world are my Klein side-cuts. They are used by most electric linemen...outstanding quality.
My best friend is a retired electrician.

The standing joke between us, is that he couldn't build a doghouse without a set of 9" Kleins.

And BTW, if you like your Kleins, check out a pair from Snap-On. They're more brittle, but they'll cut wire like butter...All in what you like...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts