Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a kid,the worst medicine I remember was called "Chill Tonic". Just thinking about it today, almost makes me throwup. I remember the brown bottle and the silver sediment in the bottom. Grown folk said that was the iron. I think it was a tonic for your get up and go. Gave you energy. All I had to do was see the bottle, and I was gone like a shot. Miracle Drug I Guess. :eek:

·
Administrator
19,228 Posts
Buckley's cough and cold cure. I think it is one of those Canadian only things but you do have to use some caution when the company catch phrase is, 'it tastes awful - but it works.' It consists of nothing but camphor, pine needles and a few other easy to read ingredients and has no sugar, no alcohol and nothing but one or two syllable ingredients. Every Canadian child shuddered when they saw the brown bottle. I'm not sure if it was bought because it works or if it was cheap but I can assure you, not many continued to cough after the first dose.

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
Pepto Bismol! Whenever I'd get sick, my parents wanted me to take it and everytime, I'd throw up! ACK. I still can't have that stuff in the house.

·
Nohoa Homestead
5,398 Posts
EDDIE BUCK said:
As a kid,the worst medicine I remember was called "Chill Tonic". Just thinking about it today, almost makes me throwup. I remember the brown bottle and the silver sediment in the bottom. Grown folk said that was the iron. I think it was a tonic for your get up and go. Gave you energy. All I had to do was see the bottle, and I was gone like a shot. Miracle Drug I Guess. :eek:
Honestly, I don't recall ever being sick when I was a kid, and certainly cannot recall any time when I was given "medicine" for anything. hmmmm When I was in the second grade I broke my collar bone and had to have a "figure eight" cast on my upper body. It was pretty awful and hard to sleep, does that count.

donsgal

·
Registered
5,321 Posts
My grandmother would make me take a TBSP of Father John's Medicine...was thick, supposed to be full of vitamins...would make you almost gag. The bottle was dark brown !

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
We just took what we were told, If you didn't you were in trouble. Besides The worse it tastes the better it works, But then again I LIKE the taste of asprin. So go figure!!!

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Cod liver oil was pretty horrendous.

Paregoric brings back nightmares for me.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
When I was little, I was chronically constipated and so had to take some kind of children's laxative, and every time it would double me up in agony from intestinal cramps and sometimes I'd throw up. You'd think they would try something different, but no, every stinkin' time I got that stuff. :flame:

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Castor oil,and sometimes a little sugar with either kerosene or camphor oil in it.Is it any wonder we are so tough today!
That was turpentine and sugar ,not camphor oil.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
We had a quart bottle of merthiolate in the cabinet. It had wicked up to the top and had dried crust around the cap. Every time we got a little cut, we got it filled up with that stinging red poison. The cut hurt much less than the cure.

·
Registered
442 Posts
wr said:
Buckley's cough and cold cure. I think it is one of those Canadian only things but you do have to use some caution when the company catch phrase is, 'it tastes awful - but it works.' It consists of nothing but camphor, pine needles and a few other easy to read ingredients and has no sugar, no alcohol and nothing but one or two syllable ingredients. Every Canadian child shuddered when they saw the brown bottle. I'm not sure if it was bought because it works or if it was cheap but I can assure you, not many continued to cough after the first dose.
My DGD loves that stuff! I can remember taking it (force fed). I thought I was going to DIE! That only lasted until I realized I could run faster than my DM.

tinda :cowboy:

·
construction and Garden b
7,378 Posts
wr said:
still sends a cold packing when your an adult! the vet applicable stuff (zev)tastes better! our horses and dogs love it, get a dose when they are looking blue.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
The thick, pink antibiotic cough syrup I had to take the time I had pneumonia. The syrup couldn't mask the taste of the antibiotics. Gag-o-rama.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Well for me I would have to say Nyquill.-spelling

1 - 20 of 89 Posts