Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter sold a painting and it needs to be shipped. Wondering the best way to package it up? I was thinking wrapping it in paper first, then bubble wrap, then trying to find a box to fit it... :shrug:

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On canvas, just craft paint :rolleyes: Someone visiting my blog joked that they wanted her to paint a pic of them; she does abstract and he said that's what it needed to be, only better looking than he is. So she painted a cowboy as a joke, figuring he may use it as his avatar or something, but he offered to buy it! Said he likes to encourage young artists, especially teens who aren't so into black...

But now I'm nervous about how to get it to him in one pieces...one shredless piece! :p

Oh...and not framed.

·
Administrator
19,224 Posts
So you can't roll it because I suspect the paint would crack so a map tube wouldn't work. I think I'd probably get a couple pieces of cardboard and lay it flat between them and tape the edges really well, lay it in a box and fill the box above it with bubble wrap or crumpled newspaper. If you happened to have some old plexiglass or the old wall paneling (the stuff that went out of style in the 70's) to replace the cardboard protection, that would even be better.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
When the new hospital that I work for opened, we had a lot of art work shipped in -- they used FedEx since it would arrive quicker and be hopefully handled a little better and not sitting in trucks or warehouses. Some was shipped from outside the US and all came in perfect shape. Carefully wrap the painting, then use lots of bubblewrap, and then some cardboard of other protective board, and maybe even a box inside of another box with those noodles in between. The UPS Stores will box and ship it for you but you pay a premium price for their services as well as a service fee in addition to the regular UPS charges.

Ken in Glassboro, NJ :)

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh....paint chipping... She actually sold him two, the second on newsprint. I'd been thinking of rolling it, but you're right, it probably will chip :( That one is going to be way too big; no fun at all to ship.

·
Premium Member
6,395 Posts
How wonderful. It's my life mission to encourage young folks too. I remember your posting something of your daughters before? And it was beautiful (I think it was your daughter). I loved your blog, btw, but where can I see her art work?

·
Premium Member
1,316 Posts
Do you have a local shipping service company? Not referring to FedX or UPS(we do have those here) but someone local. We have several local ones and that is who we use when we have to mail large items like that. With ours we just take it in, give them the address, they package and ship it, then call us with the amount and we go pay it. Must faster and cheaper than FedX/UPS. Never had any problems with breakage(we even sent one overseas to Germany). Might be an option for you.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mid Tn...thank you! I'm not sure if I've shown Darling's work here before or not, but here's the link to the blog post with it: http://carpentercreek.wordpress.com/2007/07/15/all-about-darling/.

Thanks for the shipping suggestions, everyone. Guess I'll have to look for some big pieces of cardboard for that funky paper painting... :rolleyes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts