Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As part of some changes we are making in the new year, one of them is to stop using Splenda. I have been using Splenda for years. Used to order it in from Canada before you could buy it in the US; BUT it's pretty much the only "fake" thing we consume. Even though I know it's derived from sugar, it's obviously been "processed" to get it to it's weird powdery consistency and it caloric level. So, my point. What does everyone use to sweeten your tea and coffee. I don't want to use white sugar either. I'm having my first cup of coffee sweetened with honey this morning. It's different, but certainly not bad. Would love to hear what others use.

G

·
I stopped using any kind of sweetener in my coffee and just add a little splash of milk instead. It takes a little getting used to, but it tastes fine to me that way now.

G

·
What about your iced tea............or do you drink it?
I'm the only one in the extended family who HATES iced tea (not very southern of me LOL). My SIL always has a bottle of cola for me when she makes dinner for family gatherings.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
I too am trying to make some positive changes in my eating habits. I am a hopeless sugar addict, and being so close to being diabetic this is so not good. I was at Wal-Mart last night and was looking for that new sugar subsitute from stevia. It has been advertised on tv here lately and the last part of it's one word name rhymes with stevia. Like it is a derivitive of the word stevia. I would be interested in using that if I could find it. I am not a coffe drinker, but I am an iced tea fan. I like hot tea too but it usually brings on a hot flash for me, so for right not I am sticking to iced tea. Good thread Mrs oz, I have been wondering some of the same things.
God bless you and yours
Deb

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
There's a new Stevia sweetener that is suppose to be a little easier to use than straight stevia powder. I've not tried it yet, but plan to give it a try.

I use Splenda.

Angie

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
It's called Truvia.

http://truvia.com

I haven't tried it, but I do use stevia and it works well. It doesn't taste as good in hot drinks, but I don't like hot drinks so it works for me.

I too am trying to make some positive changes in my eating habits. I am a hopeless sugar addict, and being so close to being diabetic this is so not good. I was at Wal-Mart last night and was looking for that new sugar subsitute from stevia. It has been advertised on tv here lately and the last part of it's one word name rhymes with stevia. Like it is a derivitive of the word stevia. I would be interested in using that if I could find it. I am not a coffe drinker, but I am an iced tea fan. I like hot tea too but it usually brings on a hot flash for me, so for right not I am sticking to iced tea. Good thread Mrs oz, I have been wondering some of the same things.
God bless you and yours
Deb

G

·
I was at Wal-Mart last night and was looking for that new sugar subsitute from stevia. It has been advertised on tv here lately and the last part of it's one word name rhymes with stevia. Like it is a derivitive of the word stevia. I would be interested in using that if I could find it.
Truvia.

I don't trust that one. That's the one developed by the Coca Cola company. A couple years ago it was all over the trade journals that Coke (and I think Cargill?) had contracted with one of the bioengineering companies (I don't remember which one), to develop a genetically engineered stevia plant for them.

I find it interesting that the FDA wouldn't let companies call stevia a sweetener until Coke wanted to call it that.

·
nosey, but disinterested
3,220 Posts
I once gave darling little angel Nina apple juice that was sweetened with Splenda. She turned into evil little Nina in no time flat. It was pretty ugly. I'll use white sugar before using Splenda or anything that contains Splenda again.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I swear by stevia. I have felt so much better since I have stopped using artificial sweetners and the arthritis in my hands and shoulder was gone.

Recently I ran out of stevia and I didn't get around to getting more and just used regular sugar or the artificial sweetner and guess what...arthritis is back and I constantly crave sweets. Back to stevia for me!

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
For the Stevia users.............are you growing your own plants, or buying tablets or granules from the health food store/online? Is it easy to grow? I had heard at some point that it can be bitter tasting. Anyone experience that? Seemed strange that something to sweeten would be bitter.

I had seen the add for Truvia as well. But I thought it might be much the same as "Splenda is made from sugar"..........Ya know, still basically an artificial sweetener.

·
Premium Member
2,193 Posts
I have been using stevia for years in my iced tea. Be sure to try different brands as I found some taste a lot better than others. I don't think I'll switch to Truvia, probably a lot more expensive and who knows what the big company involved has done to the natural plant.

·
CF, Classroom & Books Mod
9,934 Posts
Why does everything have to be sweet?

Iced tea, unsweetened, is one of the most refreshing cold drinks there is. Our society is overwhelmed with this need for sweet things. It's killing us.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
ACK!!!! what a rollercoaster ride here! First I was all excited because PrettyPaisley told us the name of the sweetner, Truvia. Then I was bummed because it was pointed out (thankfully) that the stevia was probably gmo. First up, and then down. But I do garden, so perhaps I should look into growing my own. I will go to the local health food shop to see if they sell any stevia. I have never used it but I have heard great things about it. Perhaps it is time to go back to being sugar free. I had gone over ten years with no sugar or caffiene. But after my surgery I decided that life was too short not to enjoy it. Now I am deciding that life it too short to be addicted to sugar again! :viking: <--- That is how I am feeling about now. *grin*
God bless you and yours
Deb

·
Registered
422 Posts
I like stevia in my iced tea occasionally. I drink coffee plain.

The thing about stevia is it has an off taste when you use a lot of it. It is good for something that you want to be mildly sweet. But if you try and make your tea taste like southern "sweet tea", it will not be good. I think the taste of too much Stevia is more of a licorice taste than bitter.

I use a liquid stevia extract. It was pricey, but I have had the bottle for years. One drop to a cup or glass of tea adds a nice mild sweetness.

Stevia is also nice if you want to cut out some sugar in a dessert. I cut the sugar in half, and add just a little bit of stevia.

·
Premium Member
4,785 Posts
I use an evaporated cane juice (organic), local raw honey, maple syrup, blackstrap molasses, and agave.

I bought stevia once and really had a problem with the taste/after taste. Maybe I'll have to buy a different brand. What brand is everyone buying?

edited: I have one cup of coffee in the morning. I use half/half and the raw sugar. I have had a really hard time letting this one go. I'm thinking of just switching to tea in the mornings.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts