Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About how long does artificial grass last for a front/back lawn?

Wondering if the cost of the product is cheaper then lawn maintenance. I have a huge front yard. Purty much the envy of the neighborhood with such a big front lawn. But, am getting older, and lawn maintenance seems like an ongoing thing. Seems like I have to buy a new riding mower about every 5 years and they aint getting any cheaper. Not to mention the price of gas and oil for the darn thing.

About 10 years ago I turned the very front 1/3 part of the front lawn into a garden. It has been a great spot for a garden. The deer and racoons don't venture that far. I've been thinking of reducing the front lawn another 1/3 and have evem more garden area.

So anywho, I'm thinking of having all my gardens in the front lawn, and where I have much of my gardens now in the back of the house, I'll use it for livestock. Add turkeys, pheasants, quail, etc.

But thinking since I want have much of a front lawn left, why not install artificial grass and maybe the back lawn also. Then I wouldn't have to worry about mowing grass anymore.

But artificial grass is expensive. Something like $60 per 4' X 15" roll. Might take a couple thousand just to do the front lawn. Would it be justifiable?

·
Banned
6,787 Posts
I once met a guy that had got a bunch ( like an acre) of the stuff from a stadium renewal. Maybe you could do the same? if ya find that much let me know id like about half an acre to do what he did.
He cut holes and slots in it and planted his garden through it. ....No weeding , no mud when its rainy and it looked good year round!

·
Registered
757 Posts
Become a shepherd and have grazing animals do the work. Moving them from section to section. Mutton, lamb chops and wool would be the byproducts.

·
Registered
12,000 Posts
I'ev seen it done in Phoenix to save water, etc. When it gets old it looks really crappy!!

I'm all for a couple live dwarf goat lawn ornaments...

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Here in FL, I saw a front lawn that was paved with asphalt, and painted green! I always wanted to go out on Halloween night and paint dandelions on it!

·
Premium Member
4,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Naw I've tried the goat thingy on my lawn. They love the flowering plants and fruit trees too much.

I got to thinking, if I cut way down on my lawn like I'm wanting to do. Then I wouldn't have to buy a big new riding lawnmower every few years. I could just buy a small push mower to do the job. I still need a little exercise around the house. I don't guess pushing a lawn mower on a small lawn would hurt me too bad.

·
Banned
5,950 Posts
Here in FL, I saw a front lawn that was paved with asphalt, and painted green! I always wanted to go out on Halloween night and paint dandelions on it!
LOL Unfortunately I don't have that type of artistic talent, but I could paint a brown spot or 2...:rock:

Really all I can say is "Resist the Temptation"......it may cost you more then just the paint...:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts