Article on basic tool kit

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Selena, Nov 7, 2006.

1. Selena

Selena proud to be pro-choice

2. NJ Rich

NJ Rich NJ Rich

First, look at what you already have and work from there. My basic kit may not list "the perfect tool for the job" but what you can "make do with". You can find some very good name brand tools at Flea Markets.

THE LIST:
    Fourway screw drivers. Two sloted screw sizes/two Philips head sizes and the handle may be 1/4" or 5/16 size socket head at the ends.
    Straight Claw steel handle hammer 20 ounce
    Cross Cut saw 7 or 8 point hand saw
    5 1/2 point rip hand saw (Good Off Grid Saw)
    Awl
    Block Plane
    Carpenters Compass
    Cats Paw nail puller
    Crow Bar
    2 foot level
    Chaulk Line with blue chaulk
    Hand Axe
    Two grit sharpening stone 2"X8"
    Mill File; three cornered file; 4 way rasp
    Allan Wrenches
    3/8" socket set with ratchet; 3" and 6" extentions/universal joint
    12" and 14" pipe wrenches
    Combination Wrench set 1/4" thru 1 1/4"
    Electricians Pliers with insulated handles
    Hacksaw with extra blades
    Pipe Cutter 1" or less capacity
    Plumb Bob 16 ounce
    Putty Knife
    Utility Knife with spare blades
    Vise Grip Pliers
    Water pump pliers

I know you can not possibly buy this tool kit for $200.00 but if you have time to shop Garage Sales and Flea Markets you may have money left over.

I also know you can't do everything with this basic tool list but you can do a lot of fixing and getting by with the tools listed. There are many things that can be added but this list can take you a long way to being "Independant", and doing things for yourself.

3. 65284

65284 Well-Known Member Supporter

I avoid most new tools like the plague. Almost impossible to find anything not made in China. Chinese tools=JUNK!!! Anytime I'm at an auction or yard sale and there are old made in the USA reasonably priced tools I buy them. Okay, okay I have a shop with way too many hammers, saws, rakes hoes, shovels, etc. But they were all cheap and will far outlast and outperform any of the imported crap.

4. Selena

Selena proud to be pro-choice

IMHO, everyone needs a basic tool kit and to me, this is a good start to self-reliance regardless of where one lives. We sent the older daughter off to school with a flashlight that stores some basic tools inside. Amazing the number of folks who used it on move-in day (and returned the tools with a thank-you).