Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LOL, this cracked me up when I read it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=470155&in_page_id=1770

To viewers of his TV series, Bear Grylls is the daredevil adventurer who catapults himself into world's worst 'hellholes' and then survives on his wits alone.

But it has emerged that far from roughing it in brutal environments, the former SAS man actually spent nights in hotels during filming of his Channel 4 show.

The Eton- educated 33-year- old is also alleged to have choreographed parts of Born Survivor, with many of his spectacular stunts carefully set up by the production crew.

Scroll down for more ...

Faking It? Bear Grylls in Born Survivor

Channel 4 last night began an investigation into the claims, which follow a number of embarrassing incidents in which programmes screened by the station were found to have misled the public.

Grylls's show attracted 1.4million viewers when it was shown in March and April, with audiences enthralled as he demonstrated gruesome survival tips that included sucking the fluid from fish eyeballs and squeezing water from animal dung.

But an adviser to Born Survivor yesterday claimed that many of his

other escapades were not exactly as they seemed on TV.

In one episode filmed in California's Sierra Nevada mountains he was shown biting off the head of a snake for breakfast and boasting that he was living on 'just a water bottle, a cup and a flint for making fire'.

Viewers were not told that he was actually spending some nights in the Pines Resort hotel at Bass Lake, where the rooms have Internet access and is advertised as 'a cosy getaway for families' complete with blueberry pancakes for breakfast.

In another episode when Grylls declared he was a 'real life Robinson Crusoe' stuck on a desert island, he was actually on an outlying part of the Hawaiian archipelago and retired to a motel at nightfall.

Mark Weinert, a survival consultant brought in for the programme, said one show also wrongly gave the impression that the adventurer built a Polynesian- style raft using only materials around him, including bamboo and palm leaves for a sail.

Mr Weinert had in fact led a team that built the raft, which was then dismantled so that Grylls could be shown constructing it on camera.

In another episode, Grylls was

filmed attempting to lasso 'wild' mustang in the Sierra Nevada, when the horses were actually tame and had been brought in by trailer from a nearby trekking station.

'If you really believe everything happens the way it is shown on TV, you are being a little bit naive,' Mr Weinert told the Sunday Times.

Channel 4 confirmed that Grylls had used hotels during expeditions and ordered the production company that made the programme to investigate the other claims.

A spokesman said: 'We take any allegations of misleading our audiences seriously.

'Bear does do all his own stunts and does put himself in perilous situations.

'But Born Survivor is not an observational documentary series but a "how to" guide to basic survival techniques in extreme environments. The programme explicitly does not claim that presenter Bear Grylls's experience is one of unaided solo survival.'

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Thank you, you've just confirmed alot of things I had suspected. For one thing, there are wild horses around here and the closest I ever got to one was by walking up on it while it was asleep in a gully, and scaring both of us half to death. He walked right up and dropped a willow rope on one. Also, one of the rabbits he killed looked alot like a domestic rabbit to me.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Gawd, this is a "reality" show. One more time we're glad we don't do TV. I don't we're missing much.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I think with anything , you just take what you can from it. I watched a snippet of it last night. He had to move camp in the middle of the night and he said that it was quicker cause of the camera lights.
I don't there is a TRUE reality TV. It is all staged. I just realize this so I don't feel cheated. :)
God Bless,
Michele

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
No television is real. It is staged or exagerated to appeal to a wide variety of people and it always must top itself. How many would tune in if I wore a camera on my hat and the world got to tag along while I took out the garbage or cleaned the shower.

·
Registered
30 Posts
We caught a few minutes of him in the "desert", in a deep gully looking for water. He wondered out he would get out - my husband looked up from his reading and said "follow the camera man!" It was so lame.

·
Registered
203 Posts
several years ago a "alpha male" from the survivor show acted all tough after killing a 25 lb piglet. darn thing ran in tiny circles until he caught it. heck if he'd a just held out his hand it would have come to him. there was only so much they could do to make it look ferocious.

·
Premium Member
8,840 Posts
Now come on now, you know you can't wait to come across a pile of elephant dung so you can squeeze that life saving water out. :banana02: Look ma, NEW ENERGY

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
EDDIE BUCK said:
Now come on now, you know you can't wait to come across a pile of elephant dung so you can squeeze that life saving water out. :banana02: Look ma, NEW ENERGY
Mmmm coffee :dance: Oh I'm gross lol.

Katrina

·
Premium Member
8,840 Posts
mistletoad said:
I think it is more impressive to know he had coffee waiting in the hotel and still drank the poo squeezins! lol
Evidently there is a more powerful ingredient than caffeine in that stuff.lol :stars: Jokingly LOL may I swap just one of your words? I would like to change the word, impressive to the word stupid. That should sum it up, thanks. :doh:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts