Arthritis remedies

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by 2horses, Aug 18, 2006.

1. 2horses

2horses I'm a silly filly!! Supporter

I'm sure this has been discussed previously, but a forum search has not turned anything up on how to best treat an arthritic dog. I have a seven year old doberman that has a metal plate in his hip from getting run over (by me, but that's another whole story) and he has, in the past week, gotten very stiff and achy-looking and acting. I gave it a couple of days to resolve itself, but he's not feeling any better, poor baby. I have a call into his vet, and will get him checked out thoroughly (hopefully no loose screws!), but in the meantime, I want to try and make him more comfortable. Aspirin and glucosamine/chondroitin both come up as solutions - anyone use or have experience with either of these? What doseage do you use? And what brand (I kow quality is a concern) is best?

Thanks in advance for your answers and advice.

Pam :cool: <---------------- feels bad for poor Tonka

2. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

My dog is getting 4 tablets about 2000 mg.) of pharmaceutical grade chondroitin, glucosamine, and msm per day and has improved flexibility- very notably so. He has arthritis in his knees. I don't give him aspirin. The product Dog Gone Pain has received perfect reviews and is on my to buy list but for my 95 pound boy it is currently more than I can afford. Perhaps you can take a look at it for Tonka, if it is arthritis. Best wishes,
    Marcia

3. Beltane

Beltane Enjoying Four Seasons

I use a glucosamine/chondroitin mixture tablet for one of our greyhounds. I remember seeing a difference in about a week and a half - she jumped off the couch like it was no big deal! Definitely try some...you can pick the tablets up at just about any pharmacy. I hope your buddy feels better soon - good luck!

4. 2horses

Thanks Tango - the vet is prescribing Prevacox (Previcox?) for him, and I pick it up this afternoon. If it doesn't help after a week or so, then we'll do x-rays to check his plate. I hope it works....

Pam :cool: <------------ is glad her vet is somewhat conservative

5. Rodez

Rodez New Member

Duralactin might help. It's an over the counter anti-inflammatory product, safer than aspirin.

Duralactin from CountrysidePet

I use it for sprain/strains on my agility dogs and I know people using it for chronic pain issues. It can be used in conjunction with glouc/chon/msm.

- Michele

6. 2horses

Quick update - gave Tonka his dose of Previcox Friday evening and he was much better Saturday morning, and by the time the second dose Saturday had a chance to take effect (Sunday morning), he was like a new dog. I have enough for 2 weeks, but at $2.20/dose (1 dose daily), it's kind of expensive. I plan to give him all of these, and then maybe switch to something OTC that will keep him pain-free. Thanks everyone for the advice!

Pam :cool: <--------- is so happy to see her friend acting like his old self...

7. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

Maybe you won't need to give it daily. A lot of dogs do very well getting an inflammatory on an as needed basis. I would definitely keep him on a glucosamine and chondroitin supplement as maintenance.