arrrggg!!!bad first expeirience at the county fair

Discussion in 'Goats' started by myrandaandkids, Aug 2, 2006.

1. myrandaandkids

myrandaandkids Well-Known Member

:flame: i am so irritated, i realize it is probably my responsibilities to know these things when i take my goats to the fair,but it was my first time and i knew nothing, three weeks ago i called to reserve a pen, last week i called again just to be sure everything was squared away, yes she said you already entered and reserved your pens, just come down on wednsday and register,i got there to day and there was no pen for me, she said she forgot to write me down, i told her but i called twice, and she said it happens all the time, you didnt get written down on the books and i cant do anything at this point, so we argued for a bit till finally she said she'd give me one pen and moved someone else over, theni realized the pens were not as she had promised pygmy ready accomidations, so my pygmy had to be in a cage,i refused to leave her for 3 days in a tiny cage so we argued some more untill she agreed to let me take her up to the petting zoo where there were pens she couldnt get out of with plenty of play space, and bring her down when it was time for judging, she told me it wasnt even worth my time as my goats hair was too long and thier stance wasnt right, i had told her from the first time we spoke on the phone it was my first time and i didnt know what i was doing, she said not to worry everyone would be glad to help me along, but every time i asked for her help or another staff members they told me that they wer very busy and i should know these things, but i was stupid cause id never been to a show before and didnt know anyone who shows thier goats so i just did my best, i didnt realize that i had to provide her feeding troph or water troph since when we walked through the barn a couple years ago they always all looked the same, so all i had was the cake pans i fed them out of on the way up, i did not know i should remove thier waddels, i didnt know where to get an exibitors pass or number,they were irritated when i removed some of the hay in the stall, but it was piled up to the chest of my doeling, and with every question i had about how thing work, how the are judged, what my responibilities were and what i should do when showing them the people i talked to were more and more irritated till finally one guy saidwhat is it with you people in open class you act like county fair is a training exibit, we dont come here to babysit, go join 4-h if you want that. :Bawling: i was sooo embarrassed and ashamed, i was trying but i had no idea what to expect and i did figure that would be the best place to learn, they all seemed so nice on the phone. well, tommorrow at 11 is the judging and i still dont know what to do there so i am going to search the web for more info, this is a huge frustration, and emarassment, but i will hold my head high with the true pride i have in my goats and my farm tomorrow and i am not a quitter, next year i'll do better and be prepared, and in the years to come when we start winning we'll remember to send thank you's to all the people who didnt help me at all. :shrug: im very tired and after i search the web for a while i'll stop back here, then im going to bed.

2. Faithful Heart

Faithful Heart Well-Known Member

You poor thing! That is just horrible. What a time!

Sure hope you have some luck finding some info on how to show. Maybe researching some 4-H sites would help. I tried looking into showing chickens once and didn't find a thing. I asked my local co-op, and they knew nothing. Researched where to show or where shows were, and all I found were listing for 4-h shows. I know regular people show chickens, but sure couldn't find the info.

If you do find some stuff, maybe you should save those links for others here - to help them. Sure wish I had some advice for you, but I've never done any showing.

Good luck.

3. Milk n' Honey

Milk n' Honey Well-Known Member

I think that maybe sometimes people forget where they came from. We all had to learn somewhere. Good luck to you. I hope everything goes well.

4. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

4-H kids get credit for giving demonstrations... hunt up a 4-H child and ask them to demonstrate showing a pigmy goat to your children. OUr children always got lots of points for demonstrating at the county fair to those less experienced.

A couple of things you need to remember
    Dont put yourself between the judge and the goat
    Dont shove the goat around... always walk it forwards... for example, so if it is needing to go back in line in the middle of the line... walk it all the way thru your spot in line and then give yourself space behind to continue walking until you can turn the goat in a u-turn and back to your spot.

If he is having 2 children walking side by side with thier goats, he is comparing the goats... the children should walk on the outside of his/her goat so that the goats are side by side.

find out ahead of time what you should have on your goat... Dairy goats needed nonchoke chain collars...no leads... we used a choke chain that just fit the goats neck and fastened the 2 circles with a screw in link found at the hardware store...

If I remember right, Pigmy goats used a short lead (preferably black) on a collar... but check because different fairs use different rules.

Have your child make sure that he/she is neither first in line nor last in line :) because lots of judges call for them to reverse the line and then the last child becomes the leader... if your child is in the middle of the line, they can get clues from those around them.

Everyone has a first fair. Most first fairs are memorable...

5. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

Id make it my goal to go back next year and show them a thing or two. Sadly I have seen this type attitude at poultry shows and towards young people to boot! I always try to se if I can help any new people that I come across. I had a girl come up to me and act disappointed when I couldnt remember her. Seems I gave her a couple bits of the tiniest help five or six years ago and it obviously meant nothing to me but it sure stuck in her mind all this time. I imagine she would remember a bad thing even longer. Made my whole day though she remembered me.

6. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

I have had this fear myself.
    I want to get into showing my goats but have never done it and don't know for sure where to learn.
    I think she said she was showing open. I think that means adults, not kids.

I joined a goat club with the hopes of going to some of the goat shows and learning by observing first but I have gotten almost no comunications from them. Only one person in the club has acknowledged our membership and he has told us about a goat show but not till the night before the show started.
    Alas we could not attend as I work full time and would have to apply for time off in advance. Maybe after I retire. :rolleyes:
    If that had happened to me I would have lost my temper and stomped out of there with my goats behind me and I would have been in tears.
    I cry when I am really mad. I just hate that. :rolleyes:

You have more guts than I have to stick it out. Good for you! :)

7. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

Well, that just stinks. I'm sorry to hear about such rude people. I have to admit, that has held me back from showing our goats too. It seems like such a clique thing, and I'm a little too old to play those games. Good luck. I hope things improve for you guys!

8. APPway

APPway Well-Known Member Supporter

Go down to the 4H barns and Talk to a couple of the Kids and their Parents there and tell them this is your First time and you Don't know what to do in the way of showing and could they Help you and explain what to do. The 4H kids should be more than happy to help. Also look for the 4H Leader and ask them if they know any of the goat kids that could help you out.
    As for Feed and Water Pans. I don't know if you have Dollar stores there in the States But they have small Buckets and Pails in different colors that you could pick up real cheap.
    Other wise Just relax and have fun show up at the ring on time and when you get in the ring don't be afraid of the judge. Also tell the ring stewert that you are new and ask wht is the ring procedure they will explain it is their Job.
    Again like I said Relax and Have fun you will enjoy it.
    Also if I am not wrong Pigmys are not clipped like other goats just tidyed up and trim hoofs.
    Oh and see if there are any Nigerian people there they could help also I am sure.
    Relax and Have Fun
    APPway

9. myrandaandkids

myrandaandkids Well-Known Member

thank you all you have been helpful:)

10. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

You were given some good tips but another thing don't be afraid to just tell the judge sorry I nor my goat has ever done this before so if I do something wrong please correct me. Normally you don't ever talk to a judge but I did just that and the judge took extra time with me and told me afterwards the faults of my goat etc. Was a great learning experience. Where white clothes and hang in there you will learn , I am still learning only done it 3 times and am 60+ years old.

11. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

I am making a mental note never to enter a fair. :rolleyes:
    But, I admire your determination. Good luck! I suggest you have as good a time as possible, and don't take it too seriously.
    mary

12. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

actually, my first time to show was with someone elses goat.... Someone entered several in the same class and they were just grabbing people to show them. That took some of the pressure off of me.

Until then, I just let my children show the goats, no matter what kind of show it was.

But I was so involved with what my children were doing that I could have given a showmanship class before I ever showed one.... it isnt the same though as actually being out there in the ring.

13. copperkid3

copperkid3 Well-Known Member

From the sounds of it......you were "bushwacked"......the "lady" on the phone claimed that you were already entered a week ago......and today somehow "it happens all the time".....she said she forgot to write it down.....
    Strange that she apparently had some kind of proof earlier and then it vanished.....I would have to believe that possibly one of "her friends" happened to show up at "the last minute", decided to enter AFTER the deadline and begged and pleaded with her that she/he needed to get in and have a reserved pen to show their goats......so yours suddenly "disappeared" from the books......
    If this "lady" has a boss or somebody who she is accountable to.....I'd file a formal complaint and see where it leads from there. But be forewarned if you decide to go this route......there is a lot of the "good ole boy" networking going on and you may be blackballed from there on out.

14. rranch

rranch Well-Known Member

WOW...I can't even imagine goatie people being so mean. You can join our goat club and we'll help you with anything you need to know. National Association of Pygmy Goats. Check out the website and see if there is someone local to you. You can check out my website too at www.robinsranchpygmys.com

15. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

Most fairs are not like the St Louis Co fair! I did 4H there and there are a lot of "cheerleader mom" types that will do anything to make sure their kids will win. Participation has been going downhill for years because of this. I can't think of any goat people up there that show at sanctioned shows or State Fair.
    Myra, find Doc Toivola (he will probably be around his Normandes) and tell him about the problems you had getting a stall.
    Whoever told you wattles have to be removed is really showing their ignorance. Wattle removal is purely the owner's choice and has NO bearing on placings.
    The county fair IS a training exhibit. What did that guy think this is? National show? State Fair? Does he think people come from all over the US to go to the St Louis Co Fair?
    Wish I was there, there is nothing I'd rather do than talk goats and help out a beginner. Most goat people are evangelical and would rather get people addicted to goats than discourage them!
    I hope you do great and really show them.

16. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Well-Known Member Supporter

This is what I was thinking! Or even wishing you were here. The goat club in our county really took us in. They were proud of us when our little doeling took best in show in opeen class! They told us EVERYTHING. :hobbyhors

I hope you do well with your goats in spite of how you have been treated.

~Christy

17. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

What a horrid experience. Geez. Did they really tell you to remove their wattles? Why? A couple of my dairy does have them and it's never been a problem.

Ruth

18. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

It's sad that people get so competitive over what should be a fun experience. They need to get over their self importance.

You didn't deserve to be treated that way.

19. ForMyACDs

ForMyACDs Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, you could have avoided a lot of this if you had done any sort of research. Even asking here you could have found out what might of been expected and you could even get a LOT of pointers by googling "goat showmanship" or "showing goats". The issue with them not having a pen available IS something that does happen, yes it could have been a situation where they just kind of bumped you out but don't always assume that. I arrived at the State Fair last year with 2 adults and 4 kids and they only had two pens for me. The pens were only 4'x6' and were FAR too small for that number of animals (the adult does couldn't even turn around once food dishes were in there) and NO room for food storage or a milking area. I made a complaint, but did the best I could to deal with the situation.....I didn't dwell on it. As a result I didn't make it such an issue that the people there were tired of dealing with me so a special effort is being made for me this year to get plenty of pen space.

When it comes to penning/feeding at a show it's always best to bring everything you need and never assume it's going to be provided. Usually (especially for a fair) it will state in the premium what size or type pen, whether or not the first bedding will be provided and what other items are provided. Feed/water containers are rarely if ever provided and even if they were are you sure you want to use a "community" feed container? ICK.....Who knows what ate out of that container last! Having a small breed you might want to consider bringing snow fencing or something like that to line all pens with so that you don't have to crate your goat. A lot of people do this for small or young goats to keep them from escaping. It's pretty standard for ANY show that some sort of grooming be done. To show up at a show without any idea as to how your animal needed to be groomed isn't anyone else's fault. That's information that is not difficult to find out and to expect everyone else who is swamped with getting their own animals ready to drop everything to show you how to groom from scratch is expecting a lot.

Goat people are generally very good about wanting to help, BUT are pretty much turned off when confronted with someone that doesn't want to find out any information themselves. It's frustrating to have to spoon feed information to someone that is expecting everyone else to teach them and doesn't make the effort to learn anything on their own. I too had a first show and I found that people were very willing to help because I didn't bog them down with questions about everything involved. I'd done a lot of research first as far as what was likely going to be expected so my questions were short an precise as far as specific things that I'd not been able to find information about. I also noticed that on the things that I hadn't thought to find out about people were helpful in pointing out where I could have changed things. I also offered to help people out with holding/feeding etc. just so that I could see how other herds do things.

Having an attitude that everyone SHOULD help you or showing an attitude when something is suggested (ie the wattles issue) will make no one want to help you. Be courteous, be appreciative, do some research on your own and if the suggestions given aren't what you wanted to hear then don't use them but thank the person kindly anyway. You'll find that more people will want to help you. You'll also find that AFTER everyone is done showing they'll have more time to help you out and you'll get a lot more information at that time. The days before classes start are busy and stressful for anyone and honestly, most people don't have time to hold your hand at that time.

20. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

How sad. We just came back from our County fair. They are trying to get rid of us Cashmere and Angora goats, because they don't "like" them. I have found here in CO. (only we have very rude dairy, pygmy and market goat people.) If you don't have their type of goats, then you are no one. It is really sad that my 15 year old daughter has told them and the livestock board that a goat is a goat. Who cares what breed you like. She has gone to the board and asked to have one barn that has (goats) in it, so they are all together, you know one GOAT barn, not four different ones. They told her NO we don't want to share with you. How childish are they? She finally said "yep it is true, you are not at all for the kids, you are only for yourselves and your child". Our County fair, you have to be with a 4H group, we do not have open classes. As for the waddles, do not take them off. Some goats have them and some don't. The goat is or should not be marked down or up because of them. I have friends that have Pygmy goats and I go with them to shows, I have talked to the judges and they all same the same thing. It is just like extra shin.
    In our barn, (when we get one) we all have the same feeders and the same water buckets because I get them for the kids as rewards and prizes, that way we all look the same. If I were you I would not want to use someone elses any way, (unless you know them).
    I hope you all do great during the show and most of all have fun. Like someone else said stay between you and the judge, I tell all my 4Hers to make a goat sandwich, the shower and the judge are the bread and the goat is the meat, they are always between the bread.
    When we go to our state fair, we have open classes and they are also having the dairy goat show, and those out of staters are GREAT, they are always SO friendly and are so willing to help and talk.
    Good luck, tell the kids or whoever is showing to SMILE, that is also really important. :p