Aronia berry starts?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Ann Mary, Dec 30, 2006.

1. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

Anyone know where I could buy some aronia berry starts that don't cost a fortune? Thanks! :)

2. RoseGarden

RoseGarden Well-Known Member

Gurney's is selling the aronia/chokecherry plants for a reasonable price, although right now I can't recall exactly how much, something like 5 for 10 or 11$. Also, if you go to their online site and sign up for thier email newsletter, you will be emailed a code number for I believe 20$ off a 50$ order. You can also request a catalog that will have the same offer. I think I'm going to try their chokecherries/aronia (funny how chokecherries are now called by their latin name, maybe a marketing ploy?) for a native plant part of my property, for birds to eat.

3. Zebraman

Zebraman Well-Known Member

4. Ann Mary

I'm thinking that aronia berries and chokecherries are possibly two different species...at least what we call chokecherries around here aren't very close in looks to an aronia berry...the chokecherries are much redder and have a white pit inside them...?...maybe someone can help with this? Thanks for the links!

5. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

6. Ann Mary

7. RoseGarden

RoseGarden Well-Known Member

You are right... chokeCHERRIES are Prunus virginiana, and chokeBERRIES are the Aronias. I misspoke, or rather mistyped when I replied!

I found someone on Ebay who is selling the aronias, and I ordered a few. Hope they turn out well. Am going to order the chokeCHERRIES too, can't have too many naturalized plants for the birdies.

8. Ann Mary

Just received my Burntridge nusrery catalog! Some of their prices are so cheap! And still seem like good quality plants. $3.50 for an aronia berry start and $2 for a little huckelberry plant! Wow! thanks Meg! They also have elderberry, chokeberies, thimbleberries, etc. Fruit and nut trees too.

9. Thumbbuddy

Thumbbuddy Well-Known Member

My question is, are the berries good for making berry pie?