Armenian Yard Long Cucumbers

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Pony, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

I know they're really gourds and not cucs, but they sure taste good! Problem is, I can't get any fruit from these plants!

I planted them the way you're supposed to, I've tended them tenderly... And all I have are loooooooooooong vines, LOTS of flowers, and only 2 cucs to date. Got fooled by the flowers, too: they're not like regular cucs, where you can tell the males from the females. These have rather elongated vines coming out to the flower, and it's darned near impossible to tell which is which.

Has anyone else ever grown these before? Am I missing something here?

Thanks,

Pony!

2. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

You must have hot weather. We have many volunteer plants this year growing fruit. Plenty of manure tilled in is good; also adequate watering. We have sandy soil so maybe that helps.

3. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

Y'know, Hank, I think you're right.

It has been hotter than a blast furnace here, but now that temps have returned to "normal" (<90 degrees F), I have noticed more cucs on the vine.

And the vines are spilling over the sides of the raised bed, after having gone up and over the top of the bamboo trellis I built!

Now I am off to start some mustard pickles, can tomatoes, and dehydrate beans. :dance:

Pony!