Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here used those kevlar arm protectors. The person I bought my rabbits from hasn't handled them alot and they are tearing me up.
All I di was trim one does nails and I look like I tryed to end it all. :rolleyes: :)

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
If handled properly the scratches will be minimal.

I can go through my whole barn and worm and clip nails and get only a few small scratches. You have to have control of the head.

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know how to handle the rabbits, and after they have been here for a couple of weeks they will calm down. The person i bought the rabbits from cann't handle her rabbits because of a handicap. Her husband handles them but only when appsolutely nessasary. These same rabbits scratch up show judges. I wish I could find some one else to buy from but she is the only owner of pure bred NZW rabbits I can find in the area, so I am forced to get them and tame them down.
I was interested in the kevlar sleeves, the judges at the show use them.

·
talk little, listen much
1,696 Posts
The folks around here make their own arm guards using blanket fleece. Just use double thickness and make a tube that slides up your arm like a shirt sleeve without the shirt part.
alot cheeper than kevlar and if they get messy - easy to replace.
Also - when handling the scared or spooked buns to groom - place them on a carpet square on your picnic table, sit on the bench part and talk more than groom till they get used to you. Have your carrier next to you so when they get jumpy you can quickly put them away. Thats how we teach the kids to groom their angoras and such.

:)

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Obviously you are not handling them right if you are getting scratched.

I've been doing this too long to not know. If you hold the ears between the thumb and the palm and use the remaining fingers to grab the scruff, the rabbit can't do much of anything. Turn them on their back and do what needs to be done.

Love it when people come in, ask basic questions, and within a few months are experts.

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really am only having problems with the new rabbits. Need some thing that will help get over the rough spots after they get here. I think the rabbits kinda need a training period and during that time my arms need some pertection.
Rexman, I am not trying to act like an expert, we all know who the experts are around here. :) :) or at least who think they are experts. :) :) .

·
Registered
95 Posts
With experience, we all learn to minimize the scratching. That being said, rabbits will sometimes scratch. Doing what you can to prevent being hurt by the scratching is a good idea. A heavy long sleeved shirt or denim jacket are great at preventing the occasional scratch.

Russ

·
Premium Member
23,867 Posts
In my very limited experience with rabbits, I've had DD or Nick hold them while I do the nails. The Cals are so big, I'm just not comfortable doing that job solo. (Of course, Buster the Wonder Dog is 90 pounds, and I clip his nails just fine... :rolleyes: )

Have a friend who clips her pet rabbit's nails through the cage floor! I laughed when she told me, but the system works for her. Can't argue with success.

Good luck, SquashNut, with socializing your new rabbits.

Pony!

·
Registered
117 Posts
We use the kevlar sleeves at work and I don't think they would help you out much. The sleeves are made for more of a slashing cut not the puncher that the rabbit nails are doing. I had a really wild rabbit to handle and I just used and old jacket when I had to mess with him. It worked great. You know if you wanted something to use all the time, go to Good Will and get a cheep, old jacket and cut off the belly part and the top part of the jacket. All you should have left is the sleeves and the part that conects the sleeves together in the back. Easy to put on and cool to wear. Welders wear something like this to keep from getting the arms burned.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.