Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone use this that can give advice on how well it works?
What did you like or dislike about the product?
We currently use Tidycat scoopable but something that we could toss in a burn pile would be great, may be able to cancel the trash pick-up as the only reason we do use is to be rid of the tons of dirty litter our cats generate.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see it in my local Wallyworld for just over $7 a container..supposed to be equivalent to a 20 lb container of standard scoopable litter which is around the same price.

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
I have not tried it. I use a scoopable litter from Family dollar for $2.25 - 10 lb bag of Cat's Pride. It was a good compromise between odor control, price and being scoopable.
I don't have trash pick up, I burn almost all of our waste. What I can't burn is taken to a dumpster at work when we get one bag (about once a week....would be less if we had a recycle facility nearby as most of it is cans).
I have used equine pine pellets before and that is flushable (at least the solids with the dust on it). I would not want much sawdust in my septic system though, so would dump the urine part in the compost pile. You don't want cat poop in the compost pile though, so I would scoop all the solids out first.

·
Registered
24,108 Posts
This post inspired me to buy the Arm & Hammer Essentials anti-perspirent. I never saw it before and it was a little cheaper so I thought I would give it a whirl. I did check out the cat litter...too expensive. I get twice the amount (28lb bag) for less of the Special Kitty brand scoopable crystals.

·
Premium Member
6,374 Posts
I use pine pellets from TSC for my troop of heathen bengals.
When I did use the clay stuff, I loved Arm and Hammer's add-to powder. Omigosh, did wonders for my tomcat boxes. But, I love the pine pellets, they are the best thing I have hit on for odor control. With clay, I was changing boxes every three days if not more often, now we can go a more acceptable five days-week.

I had tried every clay out there, just about, Swheat Scoop, Yesterday's News.... pine pellets= happy cat owner. :D

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll look into the price of the pine pellets at the feed/farm stores and compare. We have 8 indoor cats...and go through about 80 lbs of scoopable a month. Our trash p/u is weekly so I try to time a complete emptying of the boxes to clean them thoroughly to coincide with that. I've tried some of the less expensive brands of scoopable litters but wasn't happy at all with the performance. I generally scoop boxes twice a day, but on occasion I may slip and only do it one.

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
We've got 10 cats and even with 3 boxes, the scoopable just got to be too expensive. These cats pee like race horses. LOL. I think I'll price the pine pellets a TSC. We've been using the plain, old fashioned clay and emptying boxes daily.

·
Premium Member
6,374 Posts
I pat eight dollars for forty pound bags. I really love this stuff. It doesn't track like clay does either!
We used to breed, so at one point there were thirteen felines using the boxes. Err... thank God for pine litter!

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
I really think how long your litter stays fresh smelling is dependant on several factors...altered or not, quality of diet, and number of boxes. For my 3 altered cats with 2 boxes the cheap scoopable works fine for me. I know before I switched to taste of the wild though that the litter needed changed more often and the cheap stuff would not have done it. Once all the cats were on taste of the wild for a few weeks, the litter odor was non-existant. I can go several days without scooping and there is no odor- and one sits right by the back door, so you would smell it soon as you walked in. If I have a dog up at the house that likes candy coated kitty cookies I can go even longer and just top off. The only reason to scoop is to take out the solid pee clumps, so I keep it deeper than I used to before and scoop less.

·
Premium Member
24,573 Posts
I use cheap clay pellets and hubby uses the dirty litter to fill up holes in our driveway! I no longer buy the stuff with crystals. My cat Hermione got one of those crystals in her eye one time and it nearly cost her the eye. Vet said the crystal stuff was really bad for cats...it can cause all sorts of damage in all sorts of places!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts