Argon gas

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by tambo, Aug 7, 2004.

1. tambo

tambo Well-Known Member

We need to get some Argon gas for a mig welder. How do we get it and how much is it?

Tambo

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Look in phone book under welding supplies. Don't know about prices.

3. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Hey,

The welding companies around here run a tank deal. You can outright 'buy' a tank, then just have it re-filled as needed. (Actually, they just swap out the tank) If you move, or quit welding, they buy back the tank at a percentage of the purchase price, based on how long you've owned it.

Depending on what you're welding, you probably don't need the pure Argon. They make a mix of about 90% Argon, and 10% another inert gas, Neon, I think, which is cheaper, and suitable for most welding on mild steel.

I shut down my welding business about a year and a half ago, due to health problems, but there is a huge...and I mean huge, market out there for ornamental welding. I made stuff from candle-holders to furniture. I had a few classics that I kept in stock becasue they sold really well, and did a lot of one-of-a-kind stuff, and a lot of custom work. If someone could draw what they wanted, or at least describe it enough so that I could draw it, I'd design the 3D plans, and build it.

I had a lot of upset customers when I quit, but I've got Lupus and Rheumatoid arthritis, and the joints just didn't want to play metal anymore. The door is open for anyone doing that kind of thing, though! I keep trying to talk someone up here, especially another woman, to fill the hole I left, but nobody wants to. You fill it down there!

Meg :)

4. tambo

tambo Well-Known Member

We just bought a stick welder that came with a mig welder attachment.My husband welds for a living but maybe he will teach me.What other equipment did you have to do what you were doing?

5. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Let's see....I have...
    A Millermatic 185 Light Industrial MIG
    Oxy/acyetalene...but I've never learned to spell it!
    Metal bandsaw
    Couple of hand saws
    Side grinder
    Large vise
    Benders...One I bought, most I made for specific repeat things.

That's about it. You don't really need a big MIG. I got that because I can hook it up to weld aluminum, too, and I could weld up to 1/2 inch thick without beveling anything.

You don't need the bandsaw, either. I got it for an anniversary present long after The Iron Maiden was up and running. (Happy is the woman whose man Knows what she wants!) It does make life easier.

If you're thinking about it, drop me a pm, and I'll give you a list and description of things that were favorites up here....

Meg :)

6. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Meg, sweetheart, darling, ect please come to the shop talk forum and enlighten us as to your type of items made, prices you could get, most demanded item, ect. I also build wrought iron house fixtures, with kitchen pot and pan racks being the most popular at about $50.00 to 65.00 each from less than $5.00 materials. Bakers racks and flower carts were the most cash heavy, from $400.00 each and up. Once did a custom chandolere for $1,200.00 but was not normally more than one item. A lot of flower pot (terra cotta) hangers for about $15.00 per pair, ect. Come get your brain picked.......