Argh!!!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by jillianjiggs, Sep 8, 2004.

1. jillianjiggs

jillianjiggs Well-Known Member

I'm on my way to getting licensed as a Real Estate Agent. We're looking for a house out here for about $100,000.00. It's tough to find anything, but it's do-able. I know what's listed out there, and I check the MLS listings every day.

I saw an ad for JustListed.com, and signed up thinking it might be easier to find something if it was just email to me, instead of me having to search for them. The *ahem* rude agent emailed me back saying that it was impossible to find a home at that price, that homes under $150,000 were in 'unliveable' areas, and that most likely the homes are in such bad condition that they aren't safe to live in.

Now, if you make your money off of commission, why in the HELL would you say that?

2. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I did real estate about 15-20 years ago, and most of my customers were the folks that other Realtors had told what they wanted wasn't out there. Then, of course, all the referrals from those folks that I helped find what they wanted, instead of what I wanted to sell them.

Always bear that in mind, after you're licensed. Find them what they're looking for, or as close as your area can get. It keeps them happy, which in the long run, keeps you happy. Just like you want what you want...or as close to it as possible. Your 'perfect world' home, and your 'what I'll settle for' home will be different, but it should be the buyers choice as to what they're willing to settle for.

My loud-once-more opinion.
    Meg :)

3. Laura

Laura Well-Known Member

I think it is because their commission off a remote, lower priced homestead is not worth their effort, when they can just sell in-town high end places.

At least that is the impression I got when trying to buy a homestead that was listed by the big town realtor. Six months of negotiations, going through the house several times with inspectors and appraisers, and I never once met the listing agent. Both the seller and I were pretty disappointed that the deal never happened. The seller had no idea that his agent was not involved and was not relaying information to him. After six months, I walked away and bought a place that that my local agent had just listed.

4. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

Amen Meg! We where told the same.But there still showing up every day in the local sales papers.
    Go figure!
    Now if i had just stuck to my guns on the most money down and the highest interest rate i was willing to pay.Considering our bad credit.Humm the mortgage broker seen use coming a mile away :eek: .I said no way to the offer of 11percent interest rate (going rate for good credit was somewhere around 6.5 to 8) and no way to the mega down payment right off the bat. :no: Oh no problem i work with 1000s of lending company's he says.Guess what in the end we had an 11percent interest rate with ($13.000) down.(no you counted the right amount of 0,s!!~!!) Arghhhh.Wanta no what 11precent looks like it looks like 27dollars on the presample (out of $548 every mouth :waa: )We where also told by the (Realtor) that the owner most likely needed/had to have every penny of what they where asking.(guessing by what she was seeing 2notes,but couldn't show us,or was even supposed to talk of such)Agrrhhhhh looks like she made a killing also.Now that im older wiser and have been looking and learning from the net :haha: .There will be a many a cursing said during of next realastate venture.Which is coming very near.Ughhum as soon as i spend all our equity on new repaires to this dump! Lesson learned here.No more brokers i can promise that!!!! I expect to pay the relator dear (eSPECAILLY WHEN DEALING WITH THE LIKES OF ME, :D All though this one had it easy, we had already found the house!!!)but not (there! ) freaking broker also. After doing some reading i have learned he did a really really good number on us!We paid his next few sports car payments easy!Which should have been a tip off, now that i think about it,BMW! My Mortgage was sold to another lender in just 3 months if that tells you how good he was! I expected this to come, but not that soon.Now i see,says the blind man! Gotta love the net! :worship:

And to think on top of the screwing i got my hand cramped for a week from signing my name over 50 times!

No fixer uppers in my price range, my foot!Especially when my price range is more than adequate for what im looking for! Humph,keep shopping around!(looking yourself !) And whatch those brokers if your credit or pay is lacking! If you want to no more about brokers (guessing you allready no) and there pay ill post a link for ya?Also realtors!

I get paid well, per house as a painter! But not like a bad/good broker makes.LOL
    Oh that 11% isnt locked in it can go up to as much as 13%.Good broker!
    Now i see he wasnt working for us like i was under the ellusion! But for them BMW payments!

5. breezynosacek

breezynosacek Well-Known Member

Good Lord, I could find you properties at that price all day and all night long!

What exactly do you want for that price?
    What range/area are you looking?
    Bedrooms
    Baths
    Acreage
    Utilities
    Ect.

6. breezynosacek

7. breezynosacek

The above link is for California properties but only one has a house on it.

After doing a brief search, I have come to the conclusion that those living in CA must be paying an awfully high price for low living.

If you have $1M or more, then you can buy out there what you can get here for about 100,000 or less. Never had seen such a pathetic mess of inflation in my entire life! If I had that kind of money I would take it and run with it. Put it in the bank and buy a nice respectable homestead.

8. Jack in VA

Jack in VA Well-Known Member

A year and a half ago I sold a one bedroom condo in SoCal for $215000.
    The place next door (exact same floorplan) is now for sale for $350,000.

9. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

When we were looking at properties years ago, I found a place I wanted to look at on the MLS. It was an hour outside town. I called a real estate agent that was referred to me by a friend, and told him I wanted to look at the property. His first question to me was "Well, will you even qualify for a mortgage?" -- when I informed him that that was immaterial (we didn't NEED a mortgage, but I wasn't going to tell HIM that), he said "well, I'd want some kind of commitment that you're going to BUY this property. I'm sick of people wasting my time". I asked him how I could commit to BUYING it before I even SAW it.

Remember, this was the FIRST time I'd ever spoken to this person. We subsequently sold two more properties (using a different estate agent/agency) and bought two others -- and he never made a dime off of what totalled out to about $500,000 in property transfer. At 7% (which is what they're making here right now), he lost himself his kid's college education. Not to mention the money he'd have made off several people who have bought/sold property who I've referred to a DIFFERENT agent since.

In my experience, the most successful real estate agents are those who treat every customer like their best customer. Quite often, it turns out that in the long run they are.

Tracy

10. breezynosacek

Well, we really love our real estate agent! He carried a note for part of our down payment on our place.

If we buy another place we will use him again.

11. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

It may be that what the agent is telling you is true, particularly if you are looking in a high dollar area.

Heck, I couldn't find a decent house under $100,000 in the LA area back in 1983 (that's when I went out to the desert). Now you can't find one there either.

Jena

12. uyk7

uyk7 Well-Known Member

Hope you find what you are looking for and good luck on becoming a Realtor. When you do become a Realtor please remember HomesteadHunter.com! If you haven't visited the site yet then stop by and see what we offer. There really are a lot of property out there that does not get listed with agents.

13. jillianjiggs

jillianjiggs Well-Known Member

Eh, it's not impossible. You can get a fixer-upper townhome or even a lot and a modular for that price. I have seen small houses for that price as well. We've got pretty good financing lined up, but we haven't agreed to any of the offers just yet.

What would be ideal is a lot where the house was bulldozed or burned out. They're about $40,000 - $50,000 in developed areas here. You can get a modular for $30,000-$100,000...with the $100,000 home being BIG and NICE for the area.

Grrr...I'm still irked by the guy! What nerve!

14. kathy H

kathy H kathyh

coldwell banker, 209-742-7000 listing #13399 110,000 with house on it. this one looked interesting#13670 3.9 acres with seasonal pound, 2 wells, and rv parking and a house on it with natural rock firplace , knotty pine interior and a gazebo 159,000

15. kathy H

kathy H kathyh

Forgot to mention both of those are in Mariposa.