Argh! Off-roaders on my property

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by HiouchiDump, Apr 9, 2006.

1. HiouchiDump

HiouchiDump Well-Known Member

I was down at my acreage this last week, doing some sorely needed maintenance. I rarely get down there these days - work has been keeping me stuck in the city.

There's an old logging road that splits down the middle of my property, which leads to my trailer. There are two drives from the main road that lead to the logging road and on either drive you can only get to the road by passing three tiers of my private property - keep out signs. The signs are prominent and the drives are obviously maintained, so there is no mistaking where you are going.

Tuesday through Friday were quiet - only locals come up the road during the week and there aren't many locals. The weekend is a different story.

On Saturday morning, as I was dragging fresh gravel over the entrance to one of the drives, three guys on four wheelers set off down the other drive and down my road. I walked over so I could confront them on the way out, but when came out, they sped up and went around me without stopping. Polite. Makes me want to string up some wire about neck level.

That was enough to annoy me, but Saturday evening, while I was reclaiming some of my parking area from the jungle, some guys in a big off-road pickup blasted past me, looking right at me, and must have been going 25 on a road I take at no more than 5. Straight down my private road. It takes a few minutes to get to the end and come back, so I pulled my truck in front of the entrance and waited.

Polite apologies and neighborly discussion did not ensue.

Without recounting the exact conversation, the driver told me to move my truck or he'd push it out of the way. I showed him my shotgun and told him that any damage to my truck would mean they would get to wait for the cops at gunpoint. He threw his half empty soda can at me (missed) and told me to F off. I took out my little digital camera and snapped a few photos. More swearing and threatening on their part (but they didn't get out of the truck). I told him he could go pick up his trash and apologize for intruding on my property and I'd let him go, otherwise we could wait for the cops to come out. He again told me to F off, so I pulled out my cell phone and started dialing. He got out of his truck, picked up his can, said (in a less than sincere manner) "Sorry," and got back in his truck.

I moved and let them go. Surprisingly, they didn't flip me any crap as they left. I snapped a good picture of their license plate on the way out.

Now, the thing is, all my threats to call the cops were a bluff, because there is no phone service out there of any sort. I'm not sure what I would have done if they'd decided to force the issue.

Somehow, I need to come up with a gate that will keep these guys out, but they just plow through anything that is not very sturdy (which I also know from experience).

I just can't believe the gall. It is one thing to abuse someone's property when nobody is about, but to do it when it is obvious that someone is home is just beyond my comprehension.

2. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Remind me to never play poker with you. :banana02:

3. Boleyz

Boleyz Prognosticator, Artist

Ya better put up a sturdy gate and update your fire insurance. Places that are mostly left un-occupied often mysteriously catch fire after such a confrontation...

Good luck to ye...

4. MomOf4

MomOf4 Well-Known Member

I would go ahead and report them to the police, especially since you have the license number!!! Especially if anything happens to your property (vandalizm, etc.), that way, they are already suspect, and the police know who they are.

Having permission is one thing, but to so blatently trespass is another, and to act like you were in the wrong for it!!! Makes my blood boil!!!

We have problems on our farm with deer hunters who trespass...it's 2 hours away from home, and we are rarely there, except during deer season when we are there every weekend, but they take advantage when we aren't there (share-crop farmer watches for us, but he has 7,000 more acres to watch, so he can't always be there)...I know how frustrating this is!!!

We're having DNR scout the land this year, and ticket anyone trespassing - along with a hefty fine, they'll lose their hunting permit and their weapon too!!! DNR told us that if word gets around that they are getting anyone trespassing on our property, that it should stop.

Good Luck!

5. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

OK first thing I'd do is file a trespassing report and use the digital photo's as proof.
    If you really want to push it add in verbal assault.

Next I'd put in at the least some concrete and poles with heavy cable across the paths. Sure real jerks will cut the cable or locks but It could work for at least a while.

Maybe hide a camera and hope to get "more" proof against "trespassers".

That is about all you can "legally" do. If you want to do darker things I suggest that you not post them or ever admit you did them.

Kenneth

6. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

I don't understand why people are soo disrespectful, but I also don't understand why people get angry over tresspassers, especially when you don't live there, the Goverment owns the land, try owning your land without paying land taxes! The Goverment givith and the goverment takith :mad:

7. HiouchiDump

It wouldn't do much more than aggravate me if it didn't tear up my road. I'm constantly filling in ruts that I didn't make.

As far as the taxes go - just one more reason to be annoyed about tresspassers. I'm paying government rent for exclusivity - otherwise I'd just move 200 yards over into the national forest.

8. HiouchiDump

At the moment, I leave nothing there that I can't afford to lose. My trailer is a beater. If it gets trashed, I'll be ----ed, but it won't be the end of the world. Point taken, though.

9. HiouchiDump

Yep - that's on my agenda for first thing tomorrow. I'll post a follow up if the sherrif's office has anything interesting to say. In the past they've been helpful, but quite reasonably pointed out that I am way too far out for them look in on.

10. wilderness1989

wilderness1989 Well-Known Member

I had this same problem with snowmobiles and they told me there was nothing I could do about it. I put on my nasty face and told them about my 22-250 Remington with a 7 power scope. That stopped the trespassers from crossing my fields. But then one drove across the front of my barn yard lot straight down a row of Colorado Blue Spruce I had planted the summer before. I really got POed then and chased him down the road ditch with my truck when I got parallel with him I dove out the door of my moving truck and tackled the guy off his snowmobile. Well when I got him by the throat it was sir this and sir that. I let him up and told him what would happen next time. No more problems with them after that. :cowboy:

11. boonieman

boonieman Well-Known Member

You can pretty much bet they are locals. Find out where they live and go talk to them without being threatening. Since you aren't living there, keeping these kinds of folks out through threats, force, boobytraps, etc is pretty much impossible and will just make matters worse. A much better tactic if possible is making friends in the community, watching out for them and offering to help them at times. In return, they help watch out for you. They probably even know who's riding back there, but they may not say anything if you're deemed to be an "outsider". A cooperative, helpful spirit among neighbors is just about the most powerful weapon you can get. Don't get me wrong, I've "uninvited" people from my place too and sometimes it's your only choice.

12. Wildtim

Wildtim Well-Known Member

Reasonably pointed out? What do you pay taxes for?

Could try one of those automatic wildlife cameras to get license plate No's when you aren't there and keep reporting it and reporting it and reporting it...

13. daytrader

daytrader Well-Known Member

Up the fire insurance!

I fight this kinda thing ALOT.

Many around here do not mess with my stuff and I help them protect theirs, BUT you have the our of towners and Saterday Night drunks passing by.

GOOD thing you had a hammer with you (red neck term for a shot gun). I would think with no cell phone service. The police coverage is about the same?

I would not go with neck wires JUST YET.

I would WHEN YOU ARE THERE. Hang signs. Tresspasser shot on site.

I would also get lots of firing practice. Hey, your there. May as well kill a few of the pop bottles they leave around.

You handled your self in a much better way then many would have. I know I could not have been as cool as you. I would have flipped at the soda can. I would have given them the same chance you did, but once they trew ANYTHING at me. I would have shot SOMETHING. Maybe a tire. Could have been the ratiator.

This crap makes me mad as heck. I do not go tearing up others places. Why do they feel they need to tear up mine? I work dang hard at keeping my place up. I do not need anyone comming making more work for me.

Its like these city folks that by their kids a 4 wheeler. They have no land to ride it on. They KNOW there is a place they can go pay to ride only 8 miles away. They plan on "riding in the country" around them. That county they ride on is FARM land owned by folks THEY DO NOT KNOW!

We get alot of drunks on Sat night around here. They get all fuled up and want to go ridding. They take their pick up trucks and THINK it is a tank. I fish a few out a year from my creek. I have made a ok amount charging to pull folks out of the ditch as well off the main road.

I had a pick up get stuck in my feild about 11pm one night. I walked down there. They could not see me. I seen them and was listening. They were tanked up good. I figured. 5 of them. 1 of me. SHOOT first. I did. 3 good rounds. Right into the ground.

I walked up as they were still laying on the ground.

I am a small guy, but felt I had the hand. HEY THEY DIDN'T SHOOT BACK.

I asked them what the problem was. They seemed to forget about the shots and were trying over their beer and hard alcohol to explain the problem. It seemed it never accorded to them that the fence they went thru and the land they were on was mine.

I told them That I could help them out. I told them I had a buddy that had a wrecker that could get them out. I would call and see if he could do it cheap and not call the cops.

They were more then happy with this. I made the call. I told them he said he could do it in 12 mins, but it would be 100 bucks and he has to meet you at the lite corner. They were all game. After a quick talk they figured they could make it to the bar and back in about 5 mins.

They took off.

As I was unlocking the shed door. I was thinnking how wrong this is, but to bad.

My little tractor isn't much, BUT BOY DOSE IT EVER MESS UP A 98 BROCO. I can't help it the boys lost control on the main road and WRECKED into my fence and into my property.

The boys met the local officer at the lite corner with OPEN BEERS in hand.

They were arrested. Got me a police report. Insurance claim was turned in for the fence and pasture damage. I bet their claim was more then mine. They prob totaled that vehical.

14. daytrader

Because the government dosn't pay many thousands to build and keep it up.

The government also dosn't pay the insurance, taxes and UP KEEP.

The government also dosn't pay for the damage or do they mark down you taxes for the damage the ILLAGLE acts cause.

15. daytrader

With your thinking. Why don't they just go tresspass in the federal parks and state parks. They can play with their toys there and see what happens?

16. texican

texican Well-Known Member

You're an outsider. If you aren't there, they'll be back. They might think about not coming on the weekend, when you might be there, but they'll be back. Signs mean nothing, except there might be something behind the sign worth stealing.

When you move there full time, it will be known. The word will get out. I'd still show the pics to the local sheriff...he may know the folks. Don't show your gun unless you're willing to kill em. Most bad folks have guns, and if they're *using* they might not mind using their weapons on you.

My advice.........next time, have your shotgun out, preferably a backup handgun too, and when they pull up to your stopped vehicle, walk in the opposite direction, raise the shotgun, and shout out some obscenities, and shoot a round or two *save three rounds in your shotgun in case you need em*....turn around, walk calmly up to the truck, with the shotgun pointed to the ground, and ask em if they saw where them trespassers went? Crazy people are always left alone.

'Course, you might have give them a little *crazy* already.

Good luck. Been there, done that. My last dose of *crazy* has lasted almost 7 years now!!! :D

17. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

Post a big sign under the posted sign saying (Tire Hazards in place!). :D

18. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Neck wires = premeditated murder. I don't think you want to go to prison.

19. arctichomestead

arctichomestead Well-Known Member

I would put up a heavy metal gate. It would be expensive but they couldn't cut it like a cable-and it would send a SOLID message. You paid for the land so it is yours to do with as you please, even if you only use it occassionally. You need no reason or excuse. They will tear up your road, leave trash and who knows what else. Better to nip it now rather than let them get used to using it and then in a year or two you move back out and then have to deal with it.

20. HiouchiDump

Yeah - just blowing off steam. I would never really contemplate such a thing. It is a fun idea when you are aggravated though.