Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we first moved to our acreage 2 years ago, we hand pulled each mushroom. It was very time consuming and tedious. Gradually we quit doing it and the mushrooms seem to be popping up everywhere. A few rings turned into many.

If research has enabled man to go up into space, why can't someone figure out, once and for all a quick remedy for that horrible fairy ring? I'm not talking about digging up acres of lawn, replacing it with fresh soil and hoping ya took out enough of the contaminated soil, so it doesn't start up again. :shrug:

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
In effect, Marismius fungus, also called the resurrection fungus will withstand drying and never really die, because it rehydrates back to life after rain. It basically lives either on the surface as the fruit of the mycelium within the soil below. It ain't called 'resurrection' fungus for nothing. lol

one good reason as Tom Volk, expert mycologist in Wisconsin that produces an excellent website for information. I'll mention the link below:

"Marasmius species are able to withstand drying out because of a high concentration of trehalose, a type of sugar. The trehalose apparently acts as a xeroprotectant for the fungus, preventing damage as the cells dry out. When water is added back to the mushrooms, the trehalose is digested as the cells take in the water and revive. It has been proven that Marasmius is actually alive, not just swollen up when rehydrated-- it undergoes cellular respiration and can grow and produce new cells after revival. Marasmius fruiting bodies are able to begin producing spores again whenever there is enough water to make spore germination and hyphal growth possible. Thus Marasmius not only increases its surface area for bearing spores by forming gills, it also effectively increases its surface area over time by being able to dry out and revive several times."

http://botit.botany.wisc.edu/Toms_fungi/mar2003.html

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Why do you care if there are fairy rings in your grass? All that proves is that you have a decent soil ecosystem going on underneath.

·
Registered
746 Posts
suburbanite said:
Why do you care if there are fairy rings in your grass? All that proves is that you have a decent soil ecosystem going on underneath.
Or that you ripped out a bunch of trees to make your lawn..Hee

I love to see new fungus pop up in my yard, the bright white in a sea of green.

Embrace the fungus.

The fairy rings around here are made up of Agaricus campestris, the white button mushrooms wild cousin, edible and delicious.
Fairy rings can be made by several species of mushrooms, some good some deadly. Eat only what you know.

·
keep it simple and honest
3,809 Posts
Whenever mine pop up, I look at them like I'm seeing an old friend. It is neat to be able to "relate" to life of various kinds, even if the relating is only to be able to recognize what you see. It adds variety to daily life. I'd never think of trying to get rid of a fairy ring, if I knew how. I enjoy them, just as I enjoy the different seasons of the year.
Ann

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think they look hor.ri.ble. And when we want to resell, it'll drive down the value of the place, I'm sure.I'll check out that link, Moonwolf...thanks!

·
Registered
203 Posts
i understand your aggravation. i have a fungus that is turning my st augustine grass yellow and easy to pull out. the months of rain has only made it worse. i dont like the way it looks and neither would i want a fairy ring or two on the place. i dont have much grass but i like what i have. there was a quite famous book called plants are people too by a J Baker? there may be a remedy in there.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
38,891 Posts
You've been blessed by a visit from the wee folk, and you're saying baaaad things.

I think you'd better dance naked in the moonlight on the next full moon or you are in Serious Trouble. :)

Mushrooms in the yard drive down the value on your home? ROFLMAO!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts