Aren't these just the prettiest cows?

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by brainfrey, Sep 24, 2005.

1. brainfrey

brainfrey Country girl in the city.

2. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

Oh I know! I've never seen one in person so not too sure how rare they are but I would love to raise em......... but they're so pretty! You couldn't eat em! HAHA!

3. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

They are... they're just positivly gorgeous! I don't think they'd be eatable... if I ever get more land then I have, I promise you I will get some!

4. brainfrey

brainfrey Country girl in the city.

My Mom just E-mailed me this:
    "Gyr Cattle"
    They're not "pretty", like the white parks, but they're so very cool looking! (I love those ears!)

5. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

A friend of the family has some of them in her Angus herd, I thought she said they were White Churches, though. I may be mistaken. Hers have black marks along the body if I remember correctly, although I haven't seen them up close recently so I may be wrong.

Yes, they are indeed extremely beautiful cattle.

6. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

Oh those gyrs! TEEHEE!!! So ugly they're cute! And those ears!

7. Sher

Sher Well-Known Member

They are just the best. We got rid of our two "girls" last winter..it was a real heartbreak for both of us..we wept. We are feeding out the last of the "kids".. a steer. HE is wonderful alsol

IF I ever come into more money than I need..HA!...I would buy more ground and buy more White Parks.

They get HUGE...but are VERY docile..easy to work with..huge calves...great milkers..just a wonderful animal. And the way they look on a green pasture just takes your breath away.

The only down side to them...they require ALOT of food. They can really pack it away. We are running seven dexters where the two Parks were...I actually think the pasture has held up better under the dexters.

But I just can't take anything away from those wonderful White Park girls...they are dearly missed and we feel VERY blessed for having had them for so very many years.

8. therichartist

therichartist therichartist

Sher,
    Did you have any really good photos of your girls? I would love to see them if you do.
    I have doubts that I will ever find any around here.

9. Sher

Sher Well-Known Member

I have pictures..unfortunately I have no way to post them on here.

I can tell you that all of them were the whitest of white..Black noses, black eyelashes, black rimmed ears..and almost every leg had up to three inches of black. All of ours had black and white curly foretop hair..between their ears.

They amazed me at how easily they handled. We loaded those two big girls with NO problem what so ever..and I had been a bit concerned..because they were big. They weighed..ave. 1500lb. Ours were polled.

Their were a few myths that they shattered around here. One was..white cows always have eye problems...nada...NO eye problems from flies. White breeds aren't as meaty..wrong again..we used to laugh between ourselves at these two girls calves. The guy across the road..who we just love..had calves and we finished them together. He had steers.. we had heifers. You guessed it..ours always outweighed his..AND our girls were born later!

White Parks are around..and I am sure you can get ahold of some. If you ever get the chance,,I think you will fall in love with them.

10. Celtic Herritag

Celtic Herritag Celtic Heritage Farms

I've always been interested in preserving the herritage breeds and this breed sounds like one that would work for us. The problem, can't find them anywhere. Does anyone raise them or know a breeder/auction that has them in CA?

11. therichartist

therichartist therichartist

I'm with you, anyone know of any in CA?
    If you have photos, you could send them to me, I can scan them and then send them back.
    Denise