Areins Tiller Q??

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by james dilley, Aug 25, 2006.

1. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Is it normal for the tines NOT to turn with out A engine??I bought one to put A new motor on ,And there is grease in it, Just A small amount. The transmissision, will Not let the tines turn, Any ideas on what needs done??? The Model number is gone As well as the serial number. I would like Imput on this. Thank you.

2. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

is this a front tine or rear tine james? have had both, the rear tine has a disconnect while the front is always driven

3. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

It is A front tine unit. I forgot to say that. It is NOT hooked to the motor. Any help Thanks..Should I be able to turn the tines by hand??? Please let me know Thanks

4. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

try turning the pulley on the back of the shaft the worm gear would be hard too turn by the tines. we put 2 sets of phos bronze gears in our old frnt tine, then found a rear tine rocket for the same price they wanted for the replacement gears. front tine lasted for 30 years, was a good tiller just getting old! old one was 3 horse brigs new one 7 horse tecrapsy.

5. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Not if it a worm-gear drive. They are one direction only - you need to spin the part the motor spins, to see if the times turn. The tines will _not_ spin the worm to make the pulley/shaft/coupler/whatever the motor will engage.

--->Paul