Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being ill has brought some realist problems to mind. I live alone no family close. Too far to walk to neighbors, mailbox. 24 miles to town.
Has anyone thought about how you plan for when you cant drive? Even temporary?
Grocery stores dont deliver, no grub hub or shopping services.
Or limited income prevents hired help. When do you know you need to move from the sticks.

·
zone 5 - riverfrontage
6,819 Posts
One of our neighbors is rapidly becoming a 'shut-in'. I visit him every week. He complains to me about not being able to go out grocery shopping each week.

Our local grocery stores offer the free service of 'curbside' pickup. You can select what you want online, and they will load your shopping bags, so when you arrive in their parking lot, they can bring your stuff out to your car for you.

His objection is that store-workers would be selecting veggies for him, and he wants to be the one to select fruits and veggies.

My wife has offered to grocery shop for him.

Two of our friends do the 'grub hub' / uber / doordash / chownow, etc type jobs.

But he still insists that he wants to do the shopping himself.

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
13,868 Posts
I think about it. Right now someone wants to buy my travel trailer and I can't decide if I want to sell it. There is a shortage of trailers right now so I can get top dollar for it. I'm glad I started writing this post because it helped me make up my mind. If he will pay what I want, I will sell it. I started thinking about hooking up the trailer, driving for 5 or 6 hours, setting up for the night, and then repeating the next day. I don't think I'm up for it anymore. The pain is starting to outweigh the pleasure.

Little things become a problem. I need to put my vehicle in for 30k maintenance. Normally not a big deal, but I don't want to sit in the waiting room for 2 or 3 hours with Covid still a problem and it's too cold to wait outside. I hate to ask my neighbor to pick me up and then take me back again later. It's only about 5 miles away, but I hate to ask unless something is urgent.

I'm hoping to move to a place where I can walk to a store, a bar, and a park. I think that should just about cover what I need.

ETA: I have been outside doing some yard work and thinking about how disjointed my response was. Then I realized why. I can hitch my trailer up and take it with me to get the maintenance on my vehicle done. I'll just drop it in the parking lot, let them have the vehicle, I can wait in the trailer, then when the vehicles ready, hook back up and drive home.

My brain was trying to solve the problem for me.

ETA 2: I changed my mind again. I need to get in better shape and take a beach trip in a couple of months.

·
Unapologetically me
20,942 Posts
I've thought about it, but I don't know how old is too old.
Most of the time I am fine, relatively healthy for my condition and almost active.
I go to work 5 days a week and have weekend projects that keep me from laying around too much.
I still throw hay to horses every day, grain them and take care of the dogs and cats, mow the yard, fix fence, etc.
Next spring I'm going to get back into chickens.
My only worry is that I have health problems occasionally, and I'm 30 miles from the nearest doctor/hospital.
In the last 5 years I've spent nearly 2 months in one hospital or another and a few more weeks convalescing.
On those occasions I've needed help and couldn't really drive anywhere.
So who knows? Most days I think I'd rather die on the farm than live in town.
Some days I'm not so sure. :unsure:

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Being ill has brought some realist problems to mind. I live alone no family close. Too far to walk to neighbors, mailbox. 24 miles to town.
Or limited income prevents hired help. When do you know you need to move from the sticks.
If you have trouble walking to the mailbox, then I think you have to ask how much opportunity you are getting to enjoy what the sticks have to offer. Moving to town and getting one those mobility scooters can maintain a degree of independence, increase social contact, and maintain quality of life.

There is no doubt that you give up certain things moving into town, but I have reconciled myself to the fact that life is a series of tradeoff. I miss our pond with herons, ducks and turtles, but on the other hand, we go to see 4-6 plays per year (pre covid). That's nice too. It sounds trite to say look for silver linings, but it does make a difference.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Forcast; I do not know your financial situation, so this may be an absurd idea, but have you considered getting an ATV? You can get serviceable ATV's fpr a few hundred dollars, a new ride-astride for between five and six thousand. If you want to spend the money you can get side-by-side seating machines for seven G's up.
I am closing in on 90 years old; I cannot walk far comfortably but I can go anywhere within reason from my cabin on a fourteen year old Kawasaki that I bought new. Mine is one of those you ride astride like a horse, but I have a little carry-all box bolted to the back rack, and because I am old and stiff I ride side-saddle now unless I am going far and fast. A visit to the neighbors, chasing livestock, hauling garden tools, just general transportation---that old machine and the trailer I have for it cannot be beaten. In the fourteen years I've had it I have had to put on, other than new spark plugs, a new starter and a new ignition switch, and one set of new tires a year or so ago. Mine is air cooled, the same machine now is liquid cooled and I think a bit sturdier and just over five G's locally. I cannot give up my old Ford truck, but the ATV runs a lot more often.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
As much as we're enjoying living where we are, when it gets to be too much I'll have no problem moving.

I've been thinking of the must haves of a perfect new location if it gets to that point. ( No snow, close to a grocery/medical services)

Even moving to the towns that we have to travel to now for shopping would make life so much easier and there are homes on the outskirts that could be the best of both worlds.
The thought of downsizing or moving all my stuff once again fills me with dread though...

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
13,868 Posts
It seems like you are free to move wherever you want. You could move closer to family or someplace warmer (or colder), Even if you move into an apartment, you could still have some vegetable plants. I'm planning on doing it soon while I am still physically capable of doing it.

·
Registered
9,748 Posts
I've lived my life in chapters. I have lived in the city, the suburbs and nowhere. I have worked for government. I've had several careers. Up and down and all around.
Now I am where I want to be. Other than losing my mind I can't envision being anywhere else.
Dying in my woods or my easy chair isn't so bad. It beats the ER or Senior Lockup.
Maybe when I become a burden to others I'll just quit answering the phone and the door.
When I can no longer split wood, so what?
When I can't walk up the stairs, I'll adapt.
My kids are turning out well, but if they weren't interested in seeing me when I had my health and clear eyes, I'm not going into managed care so they can stretch a few more months out of me so to clear their conscience.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Forcast; I do not know your financial situation, so this may be an absurd idea, but have you considered getting an ATV? You can get serviceable ATV's fpr a few hundred dollars, a new ride-astride for between five and six thousand. If you want to spend the money you can get side-by-side seating machines for seven G's up.
I am closing in on 90 years old; I cannot walk far comfortably but I can go anywhere within reason from my cabin on a fourteen year old Kawasaki that I bought new. Mine is one of those you ride astride like a horse, but I have a little carry-all box bolted to the back rack, and because I am old and stiff I ride side-saddle now unless I am going far and fast. A visit to the neighbors, chasing livestock, hauling garden tools, just general transportation---that old machine and the trailer I have for it cannot be beaten. In the fourteen years I've had it I have had to put on, other than new spark plugs, a new starter and a new ignition switch, and one set of new tires a year or so ago. Mine is air cooled, the same machine now is liquid cooled and I think a bit sturdier and just over five G's locally. I cannot give up my old Ford truck, but the ATV runs a lot more often.
Or a golf cart if you don't have to go super off-road. That was on the husband's wish list when we bought our mountain property and I am so glad we bought one, saves a half mile hike to the mailbox which is a very steep uphill coming back. Sits four of us and two dogs, and we even have a trailer for it to haul trash to the pick-up site, garden supplies, wood, or whatever. Might not be as practical as an ATV in a place with snow, but it was a great investment for where we live. Plus I don't have panic attacks about him rolling it as often as I would an ATV ;)

·
Registered
9,748 Posts
I use a golf cart. I tell the neighbor it is so I can sneak up on the bears. It has a lift kit, off road tires, tow hooks and does a fine job running me to the mailbox and back.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One of our neighbors is rapidly becoming a 'shut-in'. I visit him every week. He complains to me about not being able to go out grocery shopping each week.

Our local grocery stores offer the free service of 'curbside' pickup. You can select what you want online, and they will load your shopping bags, so when you arrive in their parking lot, they can bring your stuff out to your car for you.

His objection is that store-workers would be selecting veggies for him, and he wants to be the one to select fruits and veggies.

My wife has offered to grocery shop for him.

Two of our friends do the 'grub hub' / uber / doordash / chownow, etc type jobs.

But he still insists that he wants to do the shopping himself.
I think from dealing with parents gparents....they want to be taken to the stores. I know it takes alot of offer that to old folks. But think thats the reasoning

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've lived my life in chapters. I have lived in the city, the suburbs and nowhere. I have worked for government. I've had several careers. Up and down and all around.
Now I am where I want to be. Other than losing my mind I can't envision being anywhere else.
Dying in my woods or my easy chair isn't so bad. It beats the ER or Senior Lockup.
Maybe when I become a burden to others I'll just quit answering the phone and the door.
When I can no longer split wood, so what?
When I can't walk up the stairs, I'll adapt.
My kids are turning out well, but if they weren't interested in seeing me when I had my health and clear eyes, I'm not going into managed care so they can stretch a few more months out of me so to clear their conscience.
With you on this one..my kids could care less..they keep asking me to start emptying the house garage. But dont offer help or hire.
Son even went so far as to offer a nursing home ehen i had covid.
I use a golf cart. I tell the neighbor it is so I can sneak up on the bears. It has a lift kit, off road tires, tow hooks and does a fine job running me to the mailbox and back.
Cart wouldn't work im on top a good sized mountain. Only one other full timer in 60 some acres. And she always is asking fir my help. So had to stop that.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As a 30 year old always thought id more to ocean city MD and drive the boardwalk train.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I think all of us think about it as we get older. I don't live anywhere near my kids so their help is out of the question unless I move. Right now both hubby and I (60 & 58) are very healthy and able to do just about anything we need or want to do. But I think about if something happened to hubby would I stay in Northern MN or would I move closer to my kids? Would I stay on our current property or buy something smaller and easier to care for? I really can't answer any of that right now. There will be a time when I will have to figure it out, but that's not today.

·
newfieannie
9,653 Posts
same here. i suppose the time will come but not today. i'm planning to dig up my lawn as soon as the ground thaws out and make some raised beds etc. bought some pots and bags of soil and whatnot at wmart today. first though i got to get through this 30cm or more snowstorm that's expected over the weekend. ~Georgia

·
Premium Member
25,278 Posts
This is sad. ^^^^^

Hubby and I visited my grandparents quite often, even stayed with Grandma and did work around the house for her after Grandpa passed. We try to visit and help Mom and Pop as much as possible, when hubby isn't stuck at work.

We haven't decided what we will do when we get too incapacitated to live here. I keep telling hubby we need to down-size our stuff. Our kids have said they will just throw everything in a dumpster.

·
Registered
523 Posts
My folks have been on a minimizing kick lately. Won't be much for my sister and I to deal with. Hopefully many years from now.

She has had to slow them down. They kept throwing out things we wanted. They don't keep much that doesn't have its specific spot.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I use a golf cart. I tell the neighbor it is so I can sneak up on the bears.
+++
I like that ideal... Cheeky buggers deserve to get surprised to the max.. I do pretty good going slow and easy with the UTV kind of sneaking along on the down wind side of our place.. I have surprised several bruins and sent them crashing through the bush at top speed not doing a good job of navigating there way through.. Laughed my butt off at them..

1 - 20 of 39 Posts