Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
In our own little woods
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you buy wheat on a regular basis, then you know that the price has gone through the roof! We use a lot of wheat, and our stores are starting to get a little low (lower than where I want them anyway). Is it worth it to keep buying it at these prices, or would it be better to take the chance that wheat might come down in the spring?
What are you doing?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Buy

If I need something I never wait for the price to come down. You never know what might happen in the future. Of course I don't know how low your supples are and if this is for regular use or for prepping.

Let me use chicken feed as an example. I normally keep about 500 lbs on hand, these are whole grains not pellets. I normally pick up another 100'ish lbs when I've used a 100. But if it were mid-summer I might wait for harvest before purchasing to allow the prices to settle down due to the increased supply. However I would never allow the supply to get less the 200 lbs. If it got down that low I might only buy a 100 to provide a cushion. Then when the harvest comes in I might, no mights, buy about 500 lbs taking me to 700 lbs.

But I prep. Others might not buy more until the bag were empty.

·
In Remembrance
28,242 Posts
Keep buying. If the price drops buy more. I'd be surprised if it came down much.

·
Registered
11,511 Posts
Usually the price of wheat comes down in the spring when it is harvested. In this time I don't think it will come down at all. I think it will become more expensive.

·
Banned
1,627 Posts
If you buy wheat on a regular basis, then you know that the price has gone through the roof! We use a lot of wheat, and our stores are starting to get a little low (lower than where I want them anyway). Is it worth it to keep buying it at these prices, or would it be better to take the chance that wheat might come down in the spring?
What are you doing?

I don't know how much money you have to be setting in a store rm, but if you can afford to lay in more wheat without hurting your cash flow, i'd buy all i could, you can always get you money back if you can wait for price changes .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts