Are you ready for................?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by WAB, Dec 8, 2004.

1. WAB

WAB Well-Known Member

There is a movie coming on FX channel on Jan.2,2005 called SMALLPOX. Are you ready for something like this? A SMALLPOX outbreak would completely paralyze the medical system. Can you survive this? How? :eek:

2. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

In the old days, people with smallpox were quarantined to their homes. Mom tells a story of an older couple who had it, and no one else would help them out, so my grandparents did. Consequently, members of their family also had it. They survived, did have some scarring. From the photos I've seen of this disease, it is certainly something to avoid. I'm glad to be old enough to have been vaccinated, although I don't know whether that vaccination would still be good. My children, of course, would be unprotected if exposed.
    mary

3. diane

diane Well-Known Member

There are tons of things you can worry about........this is not one I would lose any sleep over. :no: Just another disaster scenerio to make a scary movie of.

4. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, I agree. There's really not anything the general public could do to get ready for it, and the likelihood seems remote anyway. I certainly am not losing sleep over the possibility. But like most other things, if and when the problem presented itself, then we'd look for reasonable ways to reduce risk.
    mary

5. diane

diane Well-Known Member

I didn't me to sound like I was just blowing the whole thing off........but this particular disease we actually have a national plan for containment. My experience has been that planning usually equals no need.

Every licensed RN in the country has received a packet to educate themselves on recognition and containment. Of all the potentially biological disasters, this one I believe we are the most prepared for.

6. WAB

WAB Well-Known Member

What you are saying is true but.... I have dealt with FEMA in real life and let me assure you that if we have a widespread smallpox outbreak we will be on our own. The government is not your friend. The medical services will be overtaxed.You will have to fend for yourself.You need to educate yourself to what you can do and how to treat those sick people. You need to learn about isolation and how to effectively do it.
    What will you do if there are 1489 sick people at your local hospital, there are no drugs or supplies left in the drugstores and your child is sick?Do you have enough aspirin,tylenol,etc for fever? What about cough suppressants or something as simple as a disinfectant? Do you have anyway to isolate that person to keep the rest of you family from getting sick? What can you do to keep yourself from getting sick too? Who will take care of you if you get sick? Will they know what to do?
    OBTW, I am a medical professional too.
    Everyone needs to know how to do this for themselves. More than one person in a family needs to know this info. Afterall thats what this board is all about,self-sufficiency. If you are lucky enough to not have your family sick,what about your neighbors?

7. electronrider

electronrider Well-Known Member

Ok mr doom, whats the plant hen? ;)

8. WAB

WAB Well-Known Member

BUUWAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!! Thanks I needed that! *gasp*! :haha:

The main point I am trying to make is to NOT depend on someone else,especially our government, for your well being. Learn what will be needed and what you will need to do if this happens. If it never happens or dont get that bad the consider yourself blessed.

"Mr.Doom" BUWHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!! I just love it!! :haha:

9. diane

diane Well-Known Member

I get your point WAB. I guess as a life long "prepper" I forget that some folks don't keep the basics around. I also think you under estimate the ability of the CDC and the medical community to respond to this type of emergency. I do not believe the and "outbreak" would ever get as far as you are talking.

But.......yes, encouraging people to be prepared for medical emergencies of any kind is a very good thing :D

10. WAB

WAB Well-Known Member

LOL! I am glad you understand what I am getting at. It scares the bejeezus out of me when someone says" The government will fix things and take care of us". If these people will remember, who has the fallout shelters now? Who has ALREADY got the flu and other vaccines? The government has and us peons have to wait or do without. My company has ordered 200 doses of the flu vaccine and it looks like we wont get it because the government has taken our order.
    I have been in medicine for 20 years and have seen this kinda thing over and over. They take care of themselves first.
    As far as FEMA goes,they are worse than usless. All they do is to come into a disaster area and take over,then screw things up and then leave. Ive dealt with them numerous times and came to realize "They aint your friend".