Are you planting a fall garden?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by DownHome, Aug 7, 2006.

1. DownHome

DownHome Well-Known Member

What are some good fall early winter crops. And what are you planting?

We've never done a fall garden before, but we are planting corn, canteloupe, cucumbers, pumpkins, and something else (I can't remember) I wanted to do broccoli, but it always does terrible.

2. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

Definitely. beans, mustard greens, lettuce, squash, cabbage, potatoes

3. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

I have seeds started for cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, kohlrabi, and more squash, which may or may not get ripe. I'll also be planting more carrots, lettuce, and peas. If I can protect everythingfrom one hard frost in Sept, we usually get another month or 2 of good weather. I hear fall carrots are sweeter - I guess I'll find out this year. :)

4. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

Oh darn, I meant carrots too.

5. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

Yep, I have some tomatoes and peppers waiting for a spot, and am going to replant squash and beans from seed, they ought to make it.

I'm waiting impatiently for it to cool off a tad, really looking forward to saladey things and radishes and carrots! My broccoli never does all that much because I space out planting it early enough! So this year I'm determined not to mess it up, and to plant more peas!

hollym

6. RockyRooster

RockyRooster Well-Known Member

Going to try. Collards already getting started. Cabbage, lettuce, peas, radish, carrots. And whatever else I can plant.

Aren't potatoes supposed to be planted in spring? Have never planted. If I can plant for fall will do.

7. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

Trying a fall garden.

Broccoli (a disaster so far - flea beetles ate the sprouts before true leaves even formed so I may try again but it's getting awfully late!)
    Cabbage (same probs as broccoli)
    Carrots
    Spinach
    Lettuce
    Radish
    A couple of tomatoes that were dying at the feed store so were given to me and got planted "too late"

8. suburbanite

suburbanite Well-Known Member

N. Calif./was USDA 9b before global warming
    Yeah, I looked in my garden book and to my surprise it seems that now is the time to plant brocolli and cabbage here.

I've been told to plant beets in august here too.

So I guess it is time to start planting again. Good thing we're having a break in the heat; August is usually our scorcher month.

9. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

Here in Wisconsin it gets colder quicker than when most of you have posted from. We have our fall lettuce, kale, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, etc., mostly already in and coming up. Will be planting more lettuce and spinach later, also, to overwinter.

I have found that some varieties of broccoli do better at different seasons, just like lettuce, so we have varieties that we plant for early spring, spring, summer, late summer, and fall. The better seed catalogs should show some info regarding the best season (I usually look in FEDCO first).

10. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Valent, when do you plant your fall stuff?

11. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

Argh! I guess I'm really going to have to plant more carrots now. Found out my dd (at 14, shouldn't she know better? :grump: ) pulled and ate :eek: ALL my little carrots. They weren't hardly more than bite-sized. Usually it's the potatoes she gets... :bash:

12. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

Last year, I planted mostly mid September. But my cukes barely made before frost and the beans too. I actually covered some of both for a few early frosts with some success. I had lots of both for Thanksgiving. We had a decent frost Nov 23 and then a heavy one Dec 6 which killed off the blackeyed-peas,beans, cucumbers, squash and okra(which never produced-worth a try anyhow). The mustard,carrots and cabbages did fine through it all. Then I planted onions(and shallots) early January and potatoes and lettuce mid and early Feb. This year I hope to plant some potatoes pretty soon. I am going to plant my other early stuff either at the end of this month or very beginning of September.

13. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Thanks. I was thinking of putting some more squash seed out and really want to get some beans going. My one cuke vine is doing plenty well, I don't plan to make pickles this year, so don't need too many cukes. Just been too hot to work out there! And really want some potatoes.

14. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

Heck yeah. Go ahead and plant squash and cucumbers pretty soon. They may need a little babying until it starts to cool off a bit but its probably what its going to take to get any production before frost. Beans will prob have to be bush beans, though. Potatoes, Ive not done in fall. I do plan on trying real soon, though. I have lots of little ones that have been in the fridge since harvest late May.

15. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

You might want to ask others in your area or check with your Extension Agent. The things you mentioned planting are spring crops here.
    In the fall we plant broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage, turnips, beats, carrots, onions...
    all the root crops and most the teeny tiny seeds.

mary

16. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

where are you located, Mary?

17. Tabitha

Tabitha greenheart

Last fall was so hot that all my cabbage, broccoli, peas, endive, spinach struggled and died. I hope it will be better this year. just put out peas, second crop of beans and cucumbers are up, would like to start broccoli, still so hot...turnips and canola, (also called rape, the best green), mesclun and cornsalad. And calendula.

18. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

I am in Central Texas, south of Waco.

19. Rouen

Rouen Well-Known Member

I did a second crop of peas, and a few more beans but my originals(beans) are still going strong.
    where do ya'll get your fall crop seeds(if you use up all your spring crop seeds that is)?
    I've also got some brussels sprouts that I planted in spring that never grew right. :cool:

20. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

Mary, do you plant fall potatoes or spring? I have never planted in the fall but know that people around here do so I am wanting to try.