Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What's interesting is it looks like they're using my credentials to gain access. On your say-so I'll change my PW.

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
When I looked I could see myself logged in as I see HST. I am not liking this at all.

So they are importing an active HT page/site. I have contacted them to see what's happening.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm. That would mean they are somehow scrapping our respective caches!?! :shocked:

ETA: Can't be. I found it through the search engine startpage.com

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
At least it appears to only show what you see if logged in here, I would guess that not logged in would get the not logged in version of HT.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Confirmed! I logged out and went to the page and saw the guest screen.

Cute trick! Would indicate cookie mucking, maybe?

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sure looks like it's cookie based, probably an IFRAME.

Without logging out here, I went there and saw "my" screen. I then cleared my browser's cookies for HST(only) but left the cache intact. Refreshed their site and it went to guest screen.

ETA: Wonder how startpage indexed "my" screen. :stars:

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There are standard commands in HTML (a programming/presentation language that makes all web pages work) that let you include external web pages within your own web page. However, if you do this without permission it's a violation of copyright laws.

There is a remote possibility of a security concern. The other site could theoretically be configured for what's called a Man In The Middle attack wherein they present HST's login page and when you login they could acquire your username and password, or possibly copy your HST cookies. I think it unlikely they are doing this though.

More likely is they are after free money by monetizing HST on their site.

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
Looks like it's time to dust off the ole cease and desist letter...

If you click on their "About Us" link, Crystal is the one the site is registered to... Being as she's a site designer for profit, you'd think she knows better..

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
Yep, they changed their page.. It redirects directly to HST now... Good show Angie..

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
So far. But the individual forums are not corrected yet.

I'm going to leave it for Monday when the tech and other teams come in to see how they want to handle this unique situation.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts