Are you near Ft. Benning, GA?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Ninn, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Ninn

Ninn Custom Crochet Queen

Is there anyone on the forum that lives near Ft. Benning? I need to find information on motel rates for when DS graduates from boot camp. Just found out DH won't go if there's a single flake of snow on the ground-even if I drive. May have to go alone and take a bus, but will still need a place to sleep for at least 2 nights. I looked up motels on line and can get phone numbers and addy's, but no rates are posted. I was hoping someone who lived in the area would make a few local calls and find out for me? I could wait and go to his AIT graduation in April, but it's just not the same thing at all. If you are in that area, please send a little info my way. I already have my driving directions down in case we both go, but I still need motel info. Thanks so much.

2. Ramblin Wreck

Ramblin Wreck Well-Known Member Supporter

Ninn,

It's been a while since I've stayed in Columbus, but there are tons of hotels there. I just did a quick search on hotels.com and found two Days Inns in the $50-60 range per night. Others might have more updated advice, but I'd suggest staying in Columbus rather than Phenix City. Growing up more than 100 miles away, Phenix City had a reputation in our area as a dangerous place...but again, that is dated information.

Take care on your drive and congratulations to your son for graduating.

3. BeckyW

BeckyW Well-Known Member

Also check www.travelocity.com and then call the hotel directly. You'll often find more perks. Boot camp graduation brings a surge of hotel guests - wouldn't surprise me if every hotel gets booked out. Another reason to have booked directly. Simply ask for the internet price - I've only had one hotel ONCE say they couldn't honor the internet rate on a direct call booking.

Also, if you call direct and they say they are booked out BUT the internet sites like www.hotel.com or www.travelocity.com show that rooms are available, then book online. Hotels allocate about 20 percent of their rooms to these online booking companies. It means there are still rooms left within that 20/25 percent although the hotel has booked out the remaining 80 percent of the rooms. The reverse can also be true.

Not every hotel participates with online booking at the discount sites, so it also pays to check the local chamber of commerce website links as well as a look at www.yellowpages.com. You may want to also check shuttles to/from airport/bus station as well as taxi rates if you are considering not driving.

Congratulations to your son.
    BW
    USAF family

4. Sherrynboo

Sherrynboo Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi Ninn, I live just north of Columbus and trust me, not a chance of any snow! There are plenty of motels near Benning but you may want to go a bit further to the north end of the city for safety reasons. There is a bypass that runs straight through town and you can get from Ft Benning to the north part of town in about 10 minutes.

Sherry in GA

5. nwbound

nwbound Romans 11:36

I was there a few time while i was in the military. The prices aint to bad but don't stay on Victory Drive (also called VD drive ) its pretty nasty and a bad part of town. There is a motel close to peach tree mall ( if i remember the name right) and its not bad in that area

Hope it helps

6. Ninn

Thanks for the info, guys. Unfortunately, DH got laid off this morning, and now all plans are up in the air. He should have his w-2's tomorrow and his refund next week-that may take a little pressure off. The bills will get paid for 2 months and gas money for the trip may not be much of a problem.

As for the snow, he means here. Our daughter is due to give birth to her first child, whom she is naming after DH. If there is one flake of snow, he will not go to the hospital, either. The fear in him over snow has gotten crippling over the last few years. To the point where I have actually driven him back and forth to work when it snows because he hyperventilates, shakes, cries and even passes out at the attempt to drive in even the littlest bit of snow. I think small amounts might be worse than having it hip deep! At least then they plow and salt. Around here, they gotta have 2 inches before the blades hit the road. So it gets mighty slippery on those back hills. I think a shrink is in order before next year.

I thank you for the help. I will be contacting the base travel agent and a few motels as soon as I have a more secure idea of our plans.

Sherry, if I am coming alone, I will pm you. Thank you so much.

7. Sherrynboo

Sherrynboo Well-Known Member Supporter

I am so sorry to hear about your husband being laid off! Is this a permanent thing or just seasonal? When I worked at the battery factory a loooong time ago, they would lay off for a few months every year but call you back. I hope you get to make the trip!

Sherry in GA

8. Ninn

It's just seasonal, and it came a lot later in the season for us than usual. It just came at a time when we had paid a bunch of bills off and all we have in savings is the trip money. However, his tax forms should be here this week, and that means refund, replace my wrecked car and possibly go to georgia! yay!!

9. OzarkHmsteaders

OzarkHmsteaders HomesteadHopefuls

Hope your dh layoff doesn't last too long and that you get to go.
    We stayed at Days Inn at Ft. Benning, It was FILTHY, we looked around some but already had reservations, I wish you luck,
    Congrats to your son
    Christine