Are you good at chemistry?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Xandras_Zoo, Nov 22, 2006.

1. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

_Ag + _HN03 = _AgNO3 + _NO + _ H2O

(all of the numbers are supposed to be subscripts)

How do you balance the equation?

2. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

3(Ag) + 4(HNO3) = 3(AgNO3) + NO + 2(H2O)

You'll want to double check it to make sure I didn't miscount.

Lynda

3. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

4. Xandras_Zoo

Wow. That's right. How did you do that? Is there a special method or do you just figure it out?

I'm in Chemistry 10, that's Chemistry 11, so I don't need to know it till next year but I'm curious anyhow. We're doing simpler equations.

5. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

There may be a method, but it's been so many years since I've done it that I just played around with it. With 5 Os on the right side, and three of them tied up that NO3, you know you'll have to play around quite a bit with the HNO3 on the left.

You also know that your HNO3 on the left is going to have to have an even number in front of it because the only place for those Hs to go is bound up in pair with a O to make water molecules on the right side.

So I figured I'd work to get the Hs in the HNO3 on the left in balance with the Hs in the H2O on the right (like trying 2HNO3 and 1H2O, then 4HNO3 and 2H20, etc.) because there just is no other place to get a hydrogen from in that equation. Then look and see what that would do to you AgNO3, worrying only about the NO3 part because the Ag is basically a freebie (you can stick any number on the front of later without having to rejumble anything else).

Does that explain it at all?

I hate to admit it but I have BS degrees in Chemistry and Chemical Engineering and I haven't done anything with reactions since then! (Well, I did nothing but forget all of my general chem!) I vaguely remember that there was a more systematic way to balance equations - but I sure couldn't tell you what it is. All of the stuff I worked on in real life was non-reactive (cosmetics and foods) and my physics & engineering classes were a lot more important than the chem for that.

Lynda

6. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

...it's a mole thing.........

7. Xandras_Zoo

Thank you so much! I can sort of see how it works, before I didn't even really know where to start.

8. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Lgslgs, can you explain a BS degree? :rolleyes:

I would not have said that except its after dark here...

9. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

Yeah! It's the ticket that gets you the interview for the cool sounding grown-up job.

Then once you get the job, you forget all of the school stuff and learn what you need to do the job. And usually the best way to learn it is from the folks that actually have to do the grunt work day in and day out.

If you get good at that, you get a bunch of raises until you earn enough that you're too expensive to keep around. (Especially when there's a bunch of kids straight out of school that actually like to work 70+ hours a week at half the pay.) Then the company gives you a nice big check to leave, and you get to hang out at home playing with your goats typing on HT whenever you want.

I guess it may have been more direct to just skip all that school and work, and gone straight to the playing with the goats and the typing part, huh? :)

Lynda