Are you gettin ready for deer season yet?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by r.h. in okla., Aug 29, 2005.

1. Have you been shooten your bow? Tunnin them muscle up? Sighting that new gun in? Thinking about where ya gonna hunt this year? What tactics ya gonna use? How you gonna store that abundant meat? etc. etc.

This last Saturday my 10 year old daughter took her 10 hour safety coarse and received her Hunter Safety Card. So now I got a new deer hunting partner this year. She has been begging me to take her deer hunting for about the last 2 to 3 years. I've been taking her squirrel hunting and she really loves to hunt them little tree monkies. I'm looking forward to puttin a couple of deer in my freezer so I can have some good eaten. I'm really looking forward to canning some more deer sausage in the new way that I have found. It's an old time method but it works really good.

Fry some homemade deer sausage up into patties, making sure it is cooked all the way through. Take these patties and place them in a clean wide mouth pint jar, stacking the patties on top of each other. Next melt some lard and pour the hot lard over the sausage patties all the way up to the top of the jar. Make sure their are no air bubbles. Place new lid and ring on and let cool. When cool enough it will create a vacuum and pop the lid. Letting you know that the jar has sealed. This will keep for a long time. Anytime you need one or two patties, just remove and cover remaining patties back up with hot lard. This is the way the old timey's use to do it. I tried it last year and kept one jar in the pantry all the way up till July this year before I opened it and ate it. To my surpize it was still delicious. The kids and I ate it up and we had no problems. So I am really looking forward to doing a whole bunch this time. I hope my daughter is a good shot!

2. momofmany

momofmany Dayenu farms

colo-Dado! As my enthusiatic 4 yo calls it.
    If there is someone in Colorado, that happens to kill a few more deer than they need, this mom of five growing weeds, would be happy to buy it from you for a reasonable price, and I would be happy to clean it and butcher myself :)

3. NYhomesteadr

NYhomesteadr Active Member

Anytime of the year is deer huntin season... if theres no cops around

4. mrglock27

mrglock27 Well-Known Member

I just ate some ground venison today it was goooood. I live in Washington and I'm going hunting about 20 miles from Mt. Rainer In Pack Forest 4,400 acre tree plantation with some open grass field and small lakes. I cant wait.

Happy huntin'

Mike

5. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

Yes indeed. Trying to sort out some accuracy issues with my usual "truck gun" I have for packing around while doing chores or for when the weather is lousy. Something loose someplace. Shooting all over a 10 inch circle at 100 yards. Should be able to shoot all inside a 2 or 3 inch circle at least. Doing fine with rifle sights but the scope is acting up. That or the mount is shifting. More troubleshooting tomorrow.

Must resist temptation for new Remington 700 in 300 Remington ultra mag and Leupold illuminated reticle scope. Must resist temptation. Must resist temptation.

6. margo

margo Well-Known Member

Yep, getting ready, and looking forward to getting the ones that ate our green beans to the ground !!!!

7. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

Started shooting my bow at the beginning of the month. Put a few salt blocks out will put out a few more this weekend.

mikell

8. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

im about ready as ill get ill be sittin on our new deck drinking my morning coffee when they walk into the pasture BANG then ill start up the tractor drag it home

9. trappmountain

trappmountain Well-Known Member

Yes I am getting ready for deer season. But in a different way. I keep track of the herds for the hunters that hunt my property and I have to choose a different area to walk my dogs during hunting season. I give permission to hunt and some of the resting areas of the deer and then I sometimes get a little meat here and there. It works out for the hunters and myself that way. My husband and I don't hunt but are freinds with many hunters. We both enjoy deer meat. Plus it keeps the herds in check. A lot of young bucks this year. Haven't seen too many big ones. Lots and lots of does here though.

10. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

Well, last week started the first sign of deer season around here - all the men at church have started letting their beards grow out! LOL

All the wives are now going - ewwwwwww! That scratches!!

Gotta love deer season! :p lol

Nance

11. RedneckWoman

RedneckWoman Well-Known Member

I am always ready to go huntin lol. Been shooting the bow since last month. Probably shoot the rifle a bit next month. Our bow season doesn't come in until October and rifle season November so no real big hurry to get it together. Got a new pair of boots for this year so maybe I can stop sliding off the mountains lol. Doesn't matter much anyway because our DNR has our deer seasons all wacked out. This year we can only get six total and only two of them can be does. Oh well. guess I'll make a lot of sausage this year lol.

12. painterswife

painterswife Sock puppet reinstated Supporter

Bow season for elk starts Thursday. My husband got all his stuff ready and will be in the woods Friday.

13. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

We hunt but our seasons, except bear, don't start for a while yet. It's time to start target practicing and get the 12 year old enrolled in a hunter safety course.

In the mean time, I need to get ready by posting the Sheriff's and Warden's numbers by the phone for the trespassers who won't leave when asked. Our land is posted "by permission only" because we have goats that look like deer, a miniature cow that looks like a large bear from a distance, and dogs that will not put up with trespassers. I will happily keep the livestock in the barn and the dogs in the house to accommodate most people who ask permission.

Then there's the dirty look and "you can't hunt here" discussion to practice for heater hunters who are too lazy to get out of the truck and think it's ok to shoot from the paved road. They don't realize our house is 50 yards through the woods from where they're parked on the side of the road.

The air horn stays by the back porch door to scare the heck out of the hunters who are 100' from the house but can't see it through the trees.

We really aren't anti-hunting here. As I said earlier, we're hunters. We're anti stupidity and pro landowner's rights. We haven't had a peaceful hunting season out here yet.

14. shelljo

shelljo Well-Known Member Supporter

I got a new bow this summer, so have been getting it sighted in and I've been practicing. I'll have to have a new bow release tho. I'm in moarning about that--hope we can go to Cabella's this weekend so I can try some out before buying. I hate my substitute release.

My new bow is a browning micro-advantage. Looks like a kid's bow, but I'm really burying my arrows, so it packs a whallop!

15. Substitute release! Is that the same as "fingers"?

16. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

My bear baits are out for the September 1 opener. I got my .45-70 govt. already for that should I get lucky enough to see a fair sized Ursus Americanus or two. Some bear beef and rendered bear fat would sure make the pantry look a lot better.

Bow Deer season comes in on Septemer 17th, and I've got the crossbow all tuned up, sighted in, and the stands are ready. Herself and I can take 6 between us this year.

17. ellebeaux

ellebeaux Well-Known Member

I'm taking my very first hunter safety class next month. I'm 42! I finally decided that it's okay for me to hunt. I grew up around guns and have always been scared to death of them but I also eat meat. So the day has come for me to learn how to hunt deer. Wish it was elk but there aren't too many around here!

Beaux

18. doc623

doc623 Well-Known Member

"Fry some homemade deer sausage up into patties, making sure it is cooked all the way through. Take these patties and place them in a clean wide mouth pint jar, stacking the patties on top of each other. Next melt some lard and pour the hot lard over the sausage patties all the way up to the top of the jar. Make sure their are no air bubbles. Place new lid and ring on and let cool. When cool enough it will create a vacuum and pop the lid. Letting you know that the jar has sealed. This will keep for a long time."

Have friends who have done something similar.
    The venison is ground and fried thru like hamburger.
    It is then canned dry in glass jar and sealed like canning anything else.
    Have you ever tried this?
    I am going to try both your method and the ground meat this year.

19. doc623, I haven't tried it just as you have mentioned but I have raw packed venison stew meat and canned it. I am going to try deerburger that way this next year also. I bought a coarse grinding plate to use that will grind the meat a little coarser for canning. I think I might enjoy using it for burger dishes more than using the stew meat. But I will just have to try a few cans to see.

20. georgiarebel

georgiarebel Well-Known Member

Sitting on pins and needles waiting for it to start. Got 3 last year, but can take up to 12 (10 does, 2 bucks). My 15 year old son and I created some great memories last year when he got his first. We're planning on hunting hard this year to get our limit. We'd rather eat deer than store bought meat. At least we know it's not pumped with steroids and chemicals. Thought about getting a crossbow to start the season earlier, but it's still very hot here in September and October. Georgia allowed crossbows hunting during bow season a few years ago. I'm not too confident with my compound bow skills to take a shot on one, and only want to take it humanely. Thought the crossbow might be more accurate.