Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just because we can, I intend to drive to the Northern part of Kansas (or maybe Missouri) for a better view and to enjoy the sight without the "aid" of street lights. My area has built up over the years and it never really gets dark any longer: not like it once did.

It would make a fun day trip, though my plans are not set in stone. Heck, I might even eat at a local café, though maybe not as they might be backed up. Perhaps I should plan a picnic lunch instead. Sugar free pie is not hard, or perhaps I should buy sugar free cookies and crumble them over baked apples.

Maybe I should google "glorious picnics" for ideas.

Are you folks gong to view the eclipse this Monday?

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
No plans other than to try to steer clear of the idiots out eclipse peeping and not watching where they're driving! I had thought I'd try to go outside and see it, maybe catch a few photos. I don't have any viewing glasses so I can't look directly other than very briefly. We're directly in the path of the total eclipse so I do kinda hope the weather will cooperate enough to actually see something other than a cloudy day that it sorta gets dark for a little bit at an odd time.

·
Wood Nymph / Toxophilite
1,615 Posts
We have decided to make a trip of it. It will be about a four hour drive.

We should be able to get away from the crowds by going to an area we used to hunt in and we're guessing most eclipse chasers won't get that far out in the wilds.

·
Premium Member
7,037 Posts
I am right on the edge of the eclipse. I was going to just ignore it, and then got to thinking, this is probably the last solar elcipse I'll ever see, so decided to get some of those glasses. Unfortunately, they are VERY hard to find around here! So, went with the second best route and bought a welding helmet to view the eclipse with. Going to have to figure out how to get my camera under there at the same time to take photos.

Very positive side of this is, one of my g-sons is taking up welding so I'll just gift the helmet to him when I'm done.

Mon

·
Saltine American
6,608 Posts
I am dead center for the total eclipse. My brother and his wife are driving up on Sunday and we will watch it from the front yard.

Reactions: MoBookworm1957

·
Country Girl
4,306 Posts
I'm in the 99.9% totality in Central Oregon and am going to watch it from my yard. I finished up my weeks shopping today so that I don't have to be on the hwy once the BIG traffic gets here!!! We are expecting 300,000 people according to all that have rented hotels, motels, camp sites etc. here and within a 90 mi. radius. The traffic hasn't been too bad yet this week although lots of campers, trailers etc. and the ODOT emergency response trucks etc. They will set up shop on Friday every 5 miles between Bend and Madras (I"m 30 miles from Madras) to keep traffic going. I'm right off the main hwy and its only 2 lanes going thru Terrebonne so I am just STAYING home for the next week or two. No reason to go to town (Redmond - 5 miles away) for anything until payday now anyway. I am going to sew, sew, sew!!! :)

·
Super Moderator
13,686 Posts
If it isn't cloudy here other than doing my normal stuff I just plan to not look up since I no longer have a welder's helmet because it went with my welder when I sold it.

I watched my eclipse with my parents decades ago when my father borrowed welder helmets for us all and explained that eclipses were just a normal planetary orbit condition and a few happen in all of our lifetimes.

He also reminded me that on normal days we don't stare at the sun continuously so if ever an eclipse happened and we didn't have a welding helmet just avoid staring at it same as any other day.

·
Super Moderator
16,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We have decided to make it a daytrip with a picnic lunch, as the local cafes and hotels will likely be crowded. That is kind of too bad as I enjoy trying out new cafes, but I do not much care for lines so I think it is the right decision!

Last night we ate a lovely smoked turkey breast: I might buy another one for Monday's pic nic lunch and add sandwich makings like lettuce and tomatos and such. I might buy a sugar-free dessert or I might make sugar-free banana pudding, or I might do both as we may want to snack!

·
Premium Member
25,228 Posts
O called top ask a farm store the price of torch goggles. $12. I had already spent $43 for a saw blade for my table saw and skil saw. I then spent another $38 for grocerys, and decided, after thinking Id have to drive through Claremore, WHICH I HATE to get them, I passed. Cant find my welding hood. I know, I know, Its not the same as the prescribed glasses, but it would be better than sunglasses, which is all I have at this point.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
I have written to the children warning them not to let the grands look at the eclipse without the proper glasses. A good way to lose an eye. (The Eclipse glasses are sold out here) We are in the 85% zone, and our local bank is having an eclipse party. I will probably just go there and have a moon pie and pop, then go home and watch the garden to see if the deer and other varmints come out. Paper here says they will come out as if it were midnight. Of course, I may punch a hole in a cardboard box and get my pinhole camera view. Paper also says that dappled sunlight thru the trees will produce a picture of the eclipse.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
O called top ask a farm store the price of torch goggles. $12. I had already spent $43 for a saw blade for my table saw and skil saw. I then spent another $38 for grocerys, and decided, after thinking Id have to drive through Claremore, WHICH I HATE to get them, I passed. Cant find my welding hood. I know, I know, Its not the same as the prescribed glasses, but it would be better than sunglasses, which is all I have at this point.
Torch goggles aren't strong enough anyhow, most welding hoods aren't either, I have 4 hoods and all are shade 10's.

·
Premium Member
7,037 Posts
The one I got is adjustable and goes from 9 to 13.

I'm going to be waiting to find where the illegal chickens are stashed! I KNOW there are roosters around me!

Mon

Reactions: ShannonR

·
Premium Member
20,042 Posts
We are now property owners on the coast in Oregon right in the sweet spot but someone else will be in our place and we are and will be in South Dakota and Southern Minnesota. :mad:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts