Are you an obsessive neat freak in public places?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by ladycat, Jan 6, 2007.

1. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

Examples of what I'm referring to:

If I'm walking down a store aisle and see merchandise has fallen on the floor, I stop and pick it up and put it back on the shelf.

If I'm looking at clothes on a rack and I see some sizes are in the wrong place, I put them back in the correct place.

If I see merchandise in the wrong place on the shelves, I put them in the right place (provided I don't have to walk more than a few steps to do so).

If I'm in a cafe, I straighten up the sugar packets in their little rack because they are usually tossed about and not neatly lined up.

If I'm walking down a sidewalk in a residential neighborhood and see a child's toy in the street, I toss it into the nearest yard (and hope that's the right yard).

I've even been known to straighten a picture on the wall in other people's houses. People look at me strangely when I do that.

Am I abnormal? :rolleyes:

2. Bink

Bink Well-Known Member

I'll do those two sometimes because I've worked retail and sympathize with the clerks. The rest of it, no.

3. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

Nope, I don't do any of those things when I'm out and about. I'm a bit peculiar at home, but try hard not to let it show when I'm in public!

4. Lynne

Lynne Well-Known Member

It depends, I don't see me straightening out the clothes racks in a store, yet I would fix a picture in someone else’s' home.
    Just a tad anal here. :rolleyes:
    And I am not going to touch this question. Am I abnormal? :p

5. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't straighten things in someones home but, in public, I do the other things. I feel that it's just common courtesy.

I admit to stacking the dishes on the table when we're out to eat somewhere. Comes from 43 years of cleaning up after a meal. I have been known to wipe a table of crumbs after eating too.

6. ladycat

I do those things too.

7. midwsthomestead

midwsthomestead joy seeker

Lol, some of those things are simply nice n common courtesy and some of them are 'far out' in my opinion ;)
    Tis our differences n quirks that make up the human element, so whatever works! :dance:

~~

8. Beltane

Beltane Enjoying Four Seasons

I pick things up off the floor at the grocery store and put them back on the shelves....but otherwise I don't relate to any of the other examples. That's okay though...I think your kind neat that way. :)

9. Peacock

Peacock writing some wrongs Supporter

I'm not a neat freak anywhere. :)

I'll only pick up things in stores if I'm the one that dropped them! Or if they're in the middle of the aisle in everybody's way.

10. RoseGarden

RoseGarden Well-Known Member

I may do a few of those kinds of things... at the bank there are always little pamphlets and stuff on the counter, and I sometimes straighten those, put the pens in the pen stands, etc.

I do pick things up off the floors, especially if it's something someone might slip on. My mother fell in a grocery store years ago from someone spilling something in the milk section. And people will run right over clothing with their carts, and then the item gets dirty and ruined. Rude.

I don't straighten racks or put clothes back in order, that's the floor employee's job. I worked at a dept. store when a teenager in ladie's wear, and that's about all I did all day, straightening up.

11. SunsetSonata

SunsetSonata Broken Dreamer Supporter

If you just like doing such things to help out and/or make things look better, though it wouldn't kill you to leave things alone, then good for you for being such a nice person. Is it abnormal? Hmm, is there such a thing as being abnormally nice? :D

If it would disturb you greatly to refrain from doing these things, where you feel like you just must do these things or you won't stop thinking about it - then - YES! Yes, you might be abnormal! :p That's if you have OCD which manifests itself in many different ways and many different strengths.

Myself, I often put back things on store shelves that were on the floor. Maybe I'd straighten out sugar packages if I had time to kill, but none of the other things you mentioned. One thing I do do on a regular basis in restaurants is pile up the plates afterwards and move everything to the edge of the table. I try to make it more convenient for the wait staff to clean the table in as few trips as possible.

12. Spotted Crow

Spotted Crow Well-Known Member

I do the first two and I also stack the dishes...
    I do the first two because I've been in retail and it drives me crazy that people can pick up something that they've dropped. It makes it easier on the poor salesperson at the end of the night.

13. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

I think it's a carryover from the way I do things at home here. I just pick up, put away, wipe off and straighten as I go through the day.

14. LvDemWings

LvDemWings Well-Known Member

When at the buffet we neatly stack plates at the end of the table where they are easiest for the staff to grab. There are 5 of us and it is not unusual for us to go through 30 plates or more. I would rather stack the empty plates at the end of the table then have the staff constantly reaching across the table or just have them pile up.

15. vicki in NW OH

vicki in NW OH Well-Known Member

I can't pass a vegetable garden or flower bed without pulling weeds.

ps. Don't take the broom from behind the door at sister-in-law's house and sweep the kitchen floor. (Even though there were dead flies laying all over it). She considers it an affront to her housekeeping. (As she should)

16. dmarie

dmarie Well-Known Member

Oh my goodness--are we twins and just don't know it!
    I've seen people literally walk over clothes or run their buggies over them before they would stop to take a minute to pick them up. I've seen children pick up a toy, then throw it down--while the parents are there.
    I've picked up garbage when no one else would, and have found frozen food on the canned goods section at the grocery store. Most do not realize it's usually the customer who pays for the loss and others inconsideration/lazyness.
    Just my 2 cents on the matter for what it's worth. So glad to know I'm not alone with picking up, putting away etc.!! :)
    Hugs from dmarie

17. ladycat

Glad to hear I'm not alone! :angel:

18. Junkman

Junkman Junkman

Good Grief! You just described ME! While waiting for my Mother-in-law to choose an item, I was straightening the shelf. She looked at me rather weird and said, "You don't work here!" (I later found out that at our Wallymart the clerks are assigned an isle and have to straighten it up after the store closes. One clerk told me they all hate the card section. I will be sure to put cards back in their proper place from now on.) Junklady

19. ladycat

LOLOL the card sections drive me NUTS.

20. momofmany

momofmany Dayenu farms

colo-Dado! As my enthusiatic 4 yo calls it.
    I stack all dishes, semi-wipe table, and make the children police the floor area. I did some time as a waitress and I learned that a family with a bunch of kids, who actually bow their heads and pray before a meal, are going to A)Leave a huge mess and B)leave NO TIP! I am always very self aware, because we take so many kids in, and we pray:) I always leave a great tip (about 20%) and clean up. I feel like that is a better testimony to G-d that being a messy, ungrateful person......but it could just be me lol

In the store I have often told my children, "I know you did not drop that -----, but could you please pick that up?"

Yeah I am guilty here too.