Are you a hippy?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by dakani, Jul 3, 2005.

1. dakani

dakani Well-Known Member

My fiance happened to mention to an ex-colleague of his that I had a couple of chickens. Her first comment was, "Ohmigod, is she a hippy?" This, just because I keep some chickens. But the funny thing is, she has three chickens (looks like I'm about to get three more chickens! :) ) but never thought to consider herself a hippy if the sole criterion is, as it appears, keeping chickens. I've noticed when I mention that I grow my own vegetables and save water, as well as keep chickens, that question pops up more and more. It is very strange. Especially considering that these questions tend to come when I am at work, wearing a suit, with my hair tied back, and looking distinctly "un-hippyish". (Haven't worn tie-dye since the 70s and I was too young to take much notice then.)

So do you consider yourself a "hippy", or do others consider you such, just because you grow your own whatever? And if so, has the word "hippy" taken a bit of a change in meaning?

Just curious. But hey, three more chickens. :)

2. steff bugielski

steff bugielski Well-Known Member

They would consider me a hippy. I take it as a compliment.
    Steff

3. woodsrunner

woodsrunner Well-Known Member

LOL!!

My mom was the oldest of 8 kids. She and dad weren't hippies, but, most of my aunts and uncles were. And guess who my baby sitters were.

Some of it rubbed off. But, I don't consider myself a hippy because of it.

4. papaw

papaw Well-Known Member

Well, not yet .... but I'm working on it ;)

5. Bladesmith

Bladesmith Well-Known Member

No, not hippy, I just gotta big rump!! :haha:

6. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Hmmmm...I have seven chickens and have been described by friends as an "earth mother". Does that make me a hippy?

7. ajaxlucy

ajaxlucy Well-Known Member Supporter

I have been called "a little bit different" but maybe "hippie" sounds more benign. My mom, who never throws anything away, has some old Nehru jackets and bellbottoms in an attic closet. I could go out and garden in those and start a new neighborhood rumor.

8. Imagoofygoober

Imagoofygoober Well-Known Member

We are called this a lot. :) Just because we look the part, doesn't necessarily mean we are, though! LOL I would love to have a few chickens!

9. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

j have been called a lot of things that being the best of the lot id say

10. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

oh yeah, one of the orginal back to the landers of the early 70's here.:)

sometimes i look the part, sometimes not, but talk to me for a little bit, and you'll know for sure. LOL!!

never heard that being a hippie involved chickens tho.

11. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

1. The spelling is Hippie
    Up here folks say "granola" Like "she's gone granola" or "my granola friend". I am raising some turkeys for my friends' granola friends. Really. I swear.
    My neighbor called me a farmer yesterday, I never thought about it like that. If the grocery makers would quit poisoning us, I wouldn't have to grow and raise my own food. I call that "smart".

12. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

Certain people have been known to refer to me as a "granola". I do look the part, I suppose... I wear long skirts and have long hair. We homeschool and grow our own veggies, and we don't eat anything processed, prepackaged, or prepared in a factory. I make my own bread and granola, which we eat with homecanned fruit or homemade yogurt. But I tend towards Conservatism rather than Liberalism, so... maybe not.

Actually, I think I would have fit in better in the sixties and seventies, except for the fact that I like my high-speed internet... :haha:

Tracy

13. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

..............I'm lucky , I guess that I didn't drift into that lifestyle because I was certainly around lots of "hippies" . I never did experiment with drugs , UNLESS you could Label alcohol a "drug" . I certainly consumed my share of Booze . Eventually ,I got Tired of having Communion with the Commode Bowl and hangover(s) and just stopped making my head hurt . I've done and said enough "stupid" things while sober so being under the "influence" only compounded my natural inclination(s) :eek: . The old expression that I remember was " turn on and tune out" , I believe . Although , as I and others have said before.............I still don't know what I want to be when I growup .....fordy... :D

14. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

My fav shirts are tie dyes. :D Other Favorites are my 'BooBoo Records' T shirts I got in San Luis Obispo.But I dont think Im a hippy :cool:

Tie Dyed BooBoo<----Also drives a 1959 VW transporter,but Im NOT a hippy! :cool:

15. Windsock_Flyer

Windsock_Flyer Active Member

Been called hippie, new age, and micro farmer since planting 3 tiniy garden plots and getting chickens, but consider it a compliment. I've always been a little unique.

16. OD

OD Well-Known Member

No, not a hippie, never was, even when all my friends were back in the 60's.
    Country to the core. The chickens & cows are country, too.

17. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Nope am not now nor have i ever been a hippy, i am hippy these days though! LOL

Main Entry: hip·pie [​IMG]
    Variant(s): or hip·py [​IMG] /'hi-pE/
    Function: noun
    Inflected Form(s): plural hippies
    Etymology: 4hip + -ie
    : a usually young person who rejects the mores of established society (as by dressing unconventionally or favoring communal living) and advocates a nonviolent ethic; broadly : a long-haired unconventionally dressed young person

18. woodsrunner

I prefer to be called by a term invented by Stewart Brand, "Techno Amish".

19. woodsrunner

Ut Oh!!

I think I just labeled myself a hippy by knowing who Stewart Brand is!

20. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

Techno Amish???

Now, I've never heard that before!! :D

Tracy