Are wild boars dangerous?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by cc-rider, Apr 28, 2005.

1. cc-rider

cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

I've never even seen one, but the property that I'm supposed to look at this weekend lists "wild turkey, wild deer, and wild boars abound".

Now, I'm not scared of a turkey or deer.... but a boar?? Should I be? Didn't know those critters existed in Ohio!

Chris

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Ayep, they can be very dangerous, especually if you get between a moma and her young. They can easily kill a dog if it gets too close but they usually avoid humans - unless some idot has been feeding them. They have up to 5 inch tusks, evidence will be freshly rooted ground and foot prints. Deer can also attack humans, but that is rare and usually dureing mateing season. Turkeys can attack your waistline if served too often with other goodies. ;)

3. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

Wild pigs are dangerous! & not just the boars.The sows are also dangerous,especially if they have young.

4. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

Moopups, you crack me up! LOL :haha: My waistline has been attacked by turkeys for years. LOL I can't seem to find a workable repellant. :p

Also my car is attacked. The dummies do go after anything that moves in the spring. It's a good thing that they taste good as they are really stupid. My jeep now has scratches on it. I can console myself with lots of yams, mashed potatoes and other yummy things to go with that turkey while my car's paint job is getting patched. I suppose it's a fair trade.

LQ

5. RedneckWoman

RedneckWoman Well-Known Member

Yup, they can be dangerous. The only thing I can add here is that if you ever go to shoot one make sure you kill it with it the first shot or have a tall tree to climb in quickly otherwise you're apt to be in a world of doo.

6. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Wild Sows will make a Nest by pulling weeds and leaves up around her and her Babies.All you will see is her Snout sticking out.If you happen to get too close and disturb her,you better be looking for a tree.

big rockpile

7. connie in WV

connie in WV Site Admin's Boss

Yikes! Makes me think of Ol'Yeller. :waa:

8. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

You'd need several ''Ole Yellers'' to protect you from a sow with piglets or a boar. We have wild razor-back hogs that have mated with russian wild boars. It makes for a very formidibable animal.

9. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

Wild pigs are very common in my area and there are very few(none that I have ever known of) incidents except when they are being hunted and the hunters take foolish chances in the name of fun.

10. TedH71

TedH71 Well-Known Member Supporter

I hunt them with lacy dogs. It takes a very special dog to be able to be tough enough to pick on them and keep them occupied while I approach them with my american bulldog catch dogs then release the catch dogs to catch the said hog. The boars that are between 100-200 lbs are far more dangerous than the ones that get 400 or more lbs mainly because they're so fast they can get to you before you realize it. They can slash, stab, and bite you rather seriously. They can and will kill dogs and people. Most hog hunters consider them 2nd or 3rd most dangerous wild animal in America next to grizzly bears and cougars. Alot of times, if you try to catch one..the rest will pile in and try to kill you. Has happened to me a few times. Very common in the southern states and now are offically recognized in 42 states and spreading. They have babies at 6 months old! Usually 5-9 babies then those babies start having babies at 6 mos..you guessed it...they're like locusts. Kill them when you see them or else they'll be very established in Ohio considering it's a rural state. We can't get rid of them fast enough in Texas and have an estimated 2 million feral swine here.

Ted

11. COUNTRY WISHES

COUNTRY WISHES Well-Known Member

Not a safe situation at all. Think of a mad bull just shorter coming at you with horns at just the right height to gore your belly out.

Must be a pretty clueless realtor to have listed the property with wild boars as a selling point! :no:

12. sapphira

sapphira Well-Known Member

They were our first warning in California when we visited my sister there. They had house in a neighborhood on hill, ravine out back. They destroyed gardens and anything. They will dig up old pits from nectarines and crunch them like eating bones at 3 am. There were boardwalks for us to use. Neighbors got together and got permits to hunt and shoot. And they did. This was in Morgan Hill. Sapphira

13. Zyklon

Zyklon New Member

Most of the boars in Ohio are escapees from the ranches. You aren't allowed to trap them, but they are open season for hunting - no limit.
    :)

14. havellostmywings

havellostmywings Well-Known Member

Well in Texas, it is a selling point... where we were living we had them all around... neighbor had a trap and we would catch the young ones... feed them up for a couple of months and then butcher them... very lean pork... and delicious...

Our Pastor hunted them with a knife and dogs.. his favorite way to hunt...

But, the only time we really ever saw any, was in the evenings, they would come down to the deer feeder and look for any corn the deer hadnt got...

We had dogs on the property, so I guess that helped keep them away from the garden, since we kept the dogs staked out around the garden..

Lynn in Nevada..
    formerly texas

15. big rockpile

16. Old Jack

Old Jack Truth Seeker

Why does this make me think of the HBO series Carnivale ?

17. margo

margo Well-Known Member

Hey, CC, are you still looking in the area you were searching a couple weeks ago? I am not aware of any wild hogs down this way, tho there may be some.....a bit scarey sounding to me.... :) don't need any more critters tearing out the garden, the chickens do it soooo well......
    Let me know if you decide to buy in this area....good to have another HT member close by.....I'm thinking there/s still a good bit of forested land out where you were.....good luck with your dealin', Margo

18. big rockpile

Here is one these Boys went out last Saturday night and got down in Florida.Good to see Kids staying out of trouble,having fun.

[​IMG]

big rockpile

19. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

Dang dangerous. See this scar.....?

20. cc-rider

cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

Still in the southern area. Saw a really nice parcel - beautiful - near Knockemstiff (cool name, huh?), but the neighborhood was REALLY rough.... if you know what I mean! Went to Bainbridge area earlier this week and saw a nice parcel, but it was too hilly to build. Beautiful, though.

Going to Hocking Hills area Sunday. 57 acre parcel with 2 16X20 cabins on it. Sounds nice, pictures look nice. Friends down there say that area is just beautiful. We'll see! That's the parcel that advertises the wild boars. Friend from area agreed with Zyklon - probably just escaped pigs.

Where are you from again??