Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sigh -

I'm beginning to feel like the last place on earth still using Dialup internet. We don't have cable or satellite so those aren't an option, and so far the phone companies have not run high-speed internet to our area. We probably couldn't afford it, anyway.
It was brought home today when I was reading about the HT podcast, which sounds really neat. Just for the heck of it, I started to download it. I got a message box saying it would take about 2 hours, 45 minutes to download, so I had to stop it. I wonder how long the podcast actually plays?
We have never been able to view You-tube or any of those video sites. Is there anyone else out there in the same boat? We are starting to feel left-behind....

·
Registered
13,303 Posts
We have high speed here at the new house, but we didn't at the old, and it will likely be a long time before it's available over there as the area is right in the middle of a 22,000 acre state park.

When we were house hunting, high speed availablity was a requirement, which is why it took us so long to find a place, as it had to have enough land too, and they rarely seem to go together around here.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
When I was on dial-up & wanted to watch vids I would hit play then pause.
The vid would keep downloading & I could still surf other sites, without slowing down to badly. Once it was fully loaded I could play it back without skips & interruptions. Im on so called high speed cable, & I still do that.
I think basically when you hit pause it keeps downloading to the hard drive without tying up all the comps resources. Unless your signal or power goes out it usually works out.
I agree though dial-up bites

·
Cedar Cove Farm
1,706 Posts
We still have dial-up and I like it. There is security in not always being "on". We can't get any of the other stuff that is affordable. I get all these "you tube" invites, but I can deal without them. The computer takes too much of my time as it is.

G

·
I'm on dialup and I used my download manager to get HT's podcast.

It plays for about 48 minutes after you finally get it downloaded.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Still got the dial-up where I live, although it is available as close as a mile on the east and one and half miles to the west. I'm just in the middle of where you can get high speed. I don't miss it, just as long as I can get on here and a few other select sites that I like. I may not afford anything more in the near future, so I do not set my sights any higher. BasicISP is just $10.00 a month, but that may seem high to me soon.

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
Still on dial-up here, too. We could get a wireless dish-thingy but it's too expensive. I'm content with the dial-up but other family members aren't too happy.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
We're still on dial-up, probably will always be. I can live without the youtube. No cable out here & can't afford satellite, no tv either because we don't have an antenna.

Anyway, how else could I motivate my ds to move out when he finishes HS? If we had high speed internet, he'd NEVER leave! :rock:

·
Registered
48 Posts
If its any consolation I just wanted to let you know that we are stuck with dialup here as well. 2 miles in either direction and they get DSL but not us. We could pay the higher fee for satellite but why bother. Just thought I would let you know you are definitely NOT alone! Hang in there.

·
AFKA ZealYouthGuy
11,454 Posts
Still on dial up here, but I just read about a PA law that says if you can get either 10% or 50 people (whichever is less) in your area that broadband providers have to upgrade and offer it to your community. I've still got to research it a bit... but it's like an elusive hope.

I've got a missionary friend in Ghana... they have faster internet than us.

I've got a missionary friend in Mongolia... they have faster internet than us.

funny. or not.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Don't feel bad, my dialup is very slow and getting slower and slower. I tryed the AT&T go anywhere thingy and I was too far from a tower so it was useless.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Until 3 months ago we were dial-up only. And VERY slow dial-up at that. We were lucky to get 19400 on a good day. It was awful. When I asked the major companies when we would be getting high speed. they just laughed at me........
Then a new company opened up here and they set us up with satillete it is wonderful!!!! I just love it.
Alice in Virginia

·
Registered
724 Posts
We are still on dial up also... ;-( . We could get wireless (broadband?). but the setup is CRAZY expensive! I've heard from the neighbours tho' that it's not that great, every time we get heavy snow or freezing rain it goes down, so....

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I'm on dial-up and it doesn't bother me at all. DSL is available through the phone company but it requires a 12 months commitment. What if I don't think it's worth it after a month? So I stick with dial-up. I'm not an internet junkie anyway.

·
Registered
9,511 Posts
"Are we the last ones on dial-up?"

I nearly laughed out loud when I read that!!!!

I was just thinking "We are the last home in the western free world that is still on dial up."

What irks me: We live in a town close to Indianapolis, where cheap, high speed internet can be found. Yet, years ago, Embarq, the former Sprint, got the Indiana Utilities Regulatory Commission to cut out an area that they could hold as a block without any competition.

That was in the 1940's, and they still have a lock on our area. They have paid for their poles and wires ages ago, but to get HSI here, it would cost minimum $59 a month, or higher. The last basic price I got was $79 a month.

My friend in Indy can get HSI for less than $29 a month, and includes lots of freebies.

A single business line costs about $70 a month including taxes. Need another for a fax? Add another $70 to your bill.

The same phone lines in Indy cost about $7 each, plus a basic service charge.

Over 20,000 people live in this community just 25 minutes from downtown Indianapolis.

I abhor Embarq.

·
nosey, but disinterested
3,220 Posts
I abhor Embarq.
I feel your pain. Embarq is the reason I have no home phone. I refuse to pay all those stupid taxes. I paid for number portability for 12 years. Made sure when I moved that I stayed within the allowable area to port my number. They couldn't do it. The story of how they think I owe them $863 and I think I don't is too long.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts