Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A one crop society, in my area we only have corn, corn,and more corn.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Does that mean the price of corn will be low do to a large crop? I can dream can't I! LOL

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Here, people grow corn, soybeans, and/or tobacco. There used to be a lot of wheat and oats grown here, but those have been given up in favor of growing fuel crops like the corn and soybeans, and of course, there's always tobacco around here. My husband and I are always amazed at how many big crop farmers around here don't grow any of their own vegetables, fruits,or raise any livestock. It's almost not really farming!

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They are adding corn syrop to everything, I stop drinking soda because that, I think corn syrop is behind all metabolic problems like diabetes and hypothyrodism. One of my neighbors drinks tons of soda, and he was beffy before but now he is huge. I wonder why the big indurstries are doing this? we are getting fat and fatter as a nation and I am blaming the corn syrop.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Wasn't it in the King Korn documentary that showed testing on an average person's strand of hair showed nearly 90% of their diet consisted of corn? A real lack of diversity in the diet.

Corn-fed meats, plus the corn oil and syrup in everything. That was enough for me to start buying sunflower oil, since our livestock gets some corn most days of the year.

Don't know how we'll get away from GMO corn sources because we have to buy the bit of grain we feed and have no control on what's available. I swore off almost all corn syrup 3 years ago when I stopped drinking any pop. There is still some in condiments we buy.

Even though corn started out as a "grass", mankind has changed it to the point of being harmful as in high-fructose corn syrup and being genetically manipulated. Scary stuff.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Wait... coming this year, soybeans, soybeans, soybeans, soybeans, and more soybeans. As the coffee shop talk, prices are to be better. Every joe farmer that I know is heavy counting on, and planting them as this year as cash crop. Many with seeds bought. I'm sticking with corn as major for feed, and grians for feed and sell.

·
Registered
465 Posts
being a diabetic..I watch for 'corn syrup' in what I buy..and its getting so that much of our boughten items,,quick fix meals etc..contain it...I quit the fast foods in the kitchen some time ago..and make all that I can and put it up or freeze..we do eat our own beef..which is fed corn..its hard to get around some foods..also..we do need to get out and exercise more..I can tell if I've not walked or done my upper body stuff..just doing chores don't cut it for me...I need the EXERCISES!! maybe my metabolise is wierd I don't know..but it makes me feel so much better to get out and really work my body..up with sweat, pulse and breathing..I can finally now work up a fast walk, and talk in a normal way at the same time...rah for me!! :)

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
Each crop year farmers are polled as to their planting intentions. For 2009 the corn planting intentions have been show to way down over previous years.

With so many ethanol plants shutting down or construction of them halted due to lower per barrel oil prices that simply won't be the need for fuel corn.

Further, as farmers put the pencil to fertilizer cost, seed cost, herbicide and insecticides costs COMPARED to other crops it just isn't making sense to grow it. So many other crops have much less fertilizer cost and even though the yield isn't as great the farmer is ahead with alternative crops such as milo, soybeans, etc.

Here in Kansas alternative crops are tried all of the time and the cropping is diversified rather than being just wheat and milo. With Monsanto having a drought resistant corn in the works I expect corn production will probably increase once the seed is released and a few farmers give it a try--if it works as intended.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Wheat and soybeans around here (rotated - they plant wheat and when it's harvested, they plant soybeans.)

·
Registered
9,511 Posts
Corn, generally speaking, is easy to grow. There are readily available markets. It is relatively easy to store. It is easy to harvest, and easy to sell.

I cannot blame a farmer for not thinking anything other that the standard crops of beans, corn, and wheat.

It would cost a fortune to by the specialized equipment to plant, cultivate and harvest specialty crops.

Who wants to spend a mint on new equipment, without a promise of a good market?

Who wants to try a new specialty crop, which means new headaches, and a different approach to planting or harvesting?

I know that a person can argue all aspects of this topic, but these are some real world problems.

Clove

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
The land surrounding my place has been planted in corn for at least the last five years. The farmer used to rotate the fields between corn and soybeans. Other farms nearby still do. I have seen more winter wheat fields in the last couple of years, not too many oat fields like there used to be. Wish there was more hay nearby!

·
Registered
784 Posts
My neighbor at my old house planted corn this year (on the 80 acres around me)... it surprised me because he did corn last year ('08) and in '06. Aren't they supposed to rotate crops, or is that some sort of old-fashioned idea? (He usually rotates soybeans, wheat, and corn, but he's doing corn 2 years in a row).

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
The expected price of corn caused many farmers to give up their rotational standards.

There's also equipment to consider. A lot of farm machinery is specialized to one crop and a farmer may not have multiple pieces of equipment laying around to just switch off and try something else.

·
Registered
571 Posts
When we travel for the year we see a LOT of corn fields. Good deal of soy. But a LOT of corn.
I don't like corn products other than tortillas :) And oddly enough, I don't grow corn.

·
Registered
218 Posts
They are adding corn syrop to everything, I stop drinking soda because that, I think corn syrop is behind all metabolic problems like diabetes and hypothyrodism. One of my neighbors drinks tons of soda, and he was beffy before but now he is huge. I wonder why the big indurstries are doing this? we are getting fat and fatter as a nation and I am blaming the corn syrop.
May they are fattening us up like cattle! The link with diabetes and other weight related diseases seems accurate to me too. If your dependent on medications then the body who governs those meds rules over you too. (conspiracy side of me peaking out for a second)

I'd not heard of a link between corn syrup and hypothyroidism, interesting. My son was born with hypothyroidism and that leaves you dependent on meds too.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts