Are these does pregnant? Photos inside!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Hip_Shot_Hanna, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Hip_Shot_Hanna

Hip_Shot_Hanna Well-Known Member

This is Mary, a FF LaMancha (if, indeed she IS pregnant)
    [​IMG]
    Full view of Mary - she's not getting big just yet, approx due date Mar 05
    [​IMG]

This is Julianne, a third time Nubian, IF she is pregnant, she's like a beach ball on legs!
    [​IMG]

Side view of Julianne
    [​IMG]

Alpine doeling FF Heidi - was told she would be due in Feb. No udder development at all. Also has on again off again "dog poops" as you can probably tell, but seems healthy enough otherwise
    [​IMG]

Any input?

2. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

you will see on their due dates :rolleyes:
    seriously, you only can tell if you send in blood for testing or ultra sound. if they are further along their pregnancy you might feel the kids.
    bellies alone don't say anything :)

3. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

I think by the scope of the photos, she's looking for an expert in the "pooch test". That wouldn't be me, but I'd be curious to hear from someone who is as well.

Ruth

4. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

I would have to say yes to all of them. Good Luck.

5. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

Okay so explain to me how that works. I've looked and looked at the instructions, but maybe I'm just not seeing clearly. Can we do some comparison pics or something?

Ruth

6. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

ruth if you look at the top of the vulva it looks a little bit puffy. i don't believe this is very reliable :rolleyes:

7. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

Ruth, Ok I will try to explain it, but it would be better if I can get pictures of two of my does tonight and kind of explain it that way. Now I am not saying I am 100% , but I have only been wrong once. Is it luck?, Maybe.
    If you look at the whole rear. The Vulva is longer and the area around it is puffier. OK, it is really hard to explain. If they are NOT pregnant the vulva is only like a 1/8" or so long and looks really tight. It doesn't matter if the doe has kidded before or not. I have a doe that is going to be 15 and she has kidded every year but this year since she was one. Her vulva and her 1 year old daughters look the same, (neither are pregnant). If they are pregnant it is just looser looking and not tucked up so tight.
    Ok, does that help at all? I will try to get pictures tonight and post them tomorrow, so you can see what I am talking about.

8. Hip_Shot_Hanna

Hip_Shot_Hanna Well-Known Member

9. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

I just went and looked at my does.. and I have a question. Will a fat doe (OKAY, YEAH, SOME OF MY GIRLS ARE FAT) look pregnant (puffy vulva)? I have a 'chubby' who may or may not be pregnant - I scoped all my girls and she was questionable, going to try again in a week or so. The positives do have noticably more elongated "parts" but the fatty, er, the doe in question is sort of halfway between what the preggies look like and the unbred yearlings. BTW, I've tried and tried to slim her down, but she's built like a tank to begin with, and just seems to carry a bit more weight naturally. Don't ask me about heats, my lamanchas never act as if they're in heat. I have to parade the bucks by them daily during breeding season to see if they're interested.

10. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

I think that your middle one is for sure pregnent and the first one might be but I need a better picture of her butt. Not sure on the last one though. Have you felt for babys?

DocM I have never had a doe have a puffy vulva when not pregnent unless she is in heat and then she would be red and puffy. As far as your big doe I had a La Mancha cross doe who was a TANK before she was bred. She now looks like a dairy girl :) . But a have had people remark on how she is fat when she isn't. She is a older style La Mancha and so she has a big barrel on her. LOL...so maybe your gal isnt fat she is just bigger barreled? Or like me a easy keeper :p .

Tempo Katya is my doe's Grandmother and she is built body wise much like her. People think my gal is fat when in fact she just has a bigger barrel and is in a sense built like a tank :p
    http://adga.org/Spotlight_Sale/agousto-maternal-gdam.jpg

Has this doe every freshened before? If she hasn't I bet when she does freshenen she will slim down a lot.

MotherClucker

11. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

Well, you know what? Cookie's (fat girl) gramma is Tempo Katya too :) Okay, so I won't be buying any bucks from YOU, our goats are probably already too closely related.

12. SherrieC

SherrieC Well-Known Member

They all look pregnant to me, but looks can be decieving. She how Low the nubians stomach is getting on the side view. When you feed your girls some hay or grain stand in front of them viewing them head towards tail. Are they built like Pears? That also is an indicator. Poochy vulva, low hanging tummy, pear build. Blood test is the only sure way though

BioTracking
    1150 Alturas Drive, Ste. 105
    Moscow, ID 83843
    (208)-882-9736
    biotracking@turbonet.com

Blood tested pregnant for $7.50.

13. GoldenWood Farm

LOL She is the only girl I have who is a Katya daughter. My buck is Lucky*Star's QM Vert-Tinos. This is his pedgree http://www.adgagenetics.org/SireDetail.asp?RegNumber=L001325479

A lot of my other does are from either Tempo Boitano or Ober-D'Rainbow VNT Me Smerize (who has Rocksprings and Lucky-K's in him along with a bit of RedWood Hills and Me's Ranch). LOL....my mom owns my does neice who is also built like Katya. If you want a nice buck I would try Lucky*Star's if you haven't looked already.

Here is their page
    http://www.luckystarfarm.com/goats.html

DocM could you post a photo of Cookie? I am very curious to see what she looks like.

This is my girl Brandy (she is half La Mancha and half Oberhasli and in the photo she is 4 months heavily bred)
    [​IMG]

**added a photo*
    This is Brandy with her first daughter Willow tooken summer 2006 (I have noticed that either Tempo Kurt who is a Katya son or Katya herself tends to throw offspring that are either goldish red or strawberry blonde)
    [​IMG]

MotherClucker

14. Idahoe

Idahoe Menagerie More~on

SweetGoats, I'm looking forward to your pictures.

MotherClucker, I love the strawberry blond coloring in that girl!

Too bad it's dark, I have to wait to go look at my girl's back doors now. I realize blood tests are definitive, but there is something about the "old ways" that makes things so much more interesting.

15. GoldenWood Farm

Idahoe thanks :) . Willow is now much darker more like her momma. I also have a younger daughter out of brandy who is also a strawberry blonde but she is much lighter....we shall see if she darkens also.

Ok I found some photos of my girls from last year who where pregnent. The photos are not the best but they are ok (the gals don't look great in them though)

I can't remember exactly how far along these girls where in the photos but I can tell you what they ended up having :) .

First up is Rainy who is I THINK 3 1/2 months pregnent in this photo? She ended up having triplets.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then we have Tidbit who is only like 2 months pregnent. She had twins
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And then there is Ricoalette (DocM this is Brandy's niece...can you tell? LOL) who has only a single. She is I am thinking also 3 1/2 months pregnent in this photo...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. GoldenWood Farm

And then there is Trinket who had a single also and she is about 3 1/2 months along also I think. She is a FF in these photos...she might have been even farther along like 4 months I can't remember.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So those are some views of the does and their butts while pregnent. Oh I forgot Brandy!
    She is about 4 months pregnent in these?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And then the result of her big size (2 boys and a girl....in the second photo the girl has her butt to the camera and then the two boys are facing it)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ok I got a TINY bit photo happy I am sorry :help: .

MotherClucker

17. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

My My MY what beautiful babies you got there. :)

Oh my them gals was big. I showed my DH and he said one looked like would have 4 :)

Gosh you have some nice looking gals.

18. GoldenWood Farm

Yep this year all my girls are MUCH bigger LOL....I am afraid to see how big they get.

Hip_Shot_Hanna I have one doe who is a FF who isn't very big at all. She is pregnent as I feel a kid but she just isn't showing much. She looks a lot like your first doe as in she isn't showing. So don't be suprised. They can hide those kids real well.

MotherClucker

19. Idahoe

Idahoe Menagerie More~on

It looks like the rim of tissue around the vaginal opening is thicker, and farther out and around the vaginal opening is pushed out and puffier. Am I seeing the pooch sign or have I been staring at these pictures too long???

20. SherrieT

SherrieT State of Confusion

I don't even have my goats yet but from some of the questions that have been posted lately, do does secret the same type of hormone that pg humans do??? Is it possible to use an otc pregnancy kit for goats or is this even stupider than it sounds???