Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i was just wondering if there are any other Newfoundlanders here. i know Newfiannie is here but are there just the 2 of us? come on folks lets here from y'all

dean

·
newfieannie
9,195 Posts
I don't think there is Dean. there was a lady on a while ago who's husband came from newfoundland many years ago. but other than that it's just us so far. they dont know what they're missing(smile)
by the way, I was talking to my real estate guy the other night and he has lots of friends in New harbour and Dildo and he knows of your family's Bakery.
Georgia.

I have just gotten the book" Two Outports" about both communities. it's a good read. I am not certain but I do believe your family name is in there.

·
Premium Member
2,595 Posts
I am an honorary citizen of Fleur de Lis on the Baie Verte Peninsula. Used to spend a lot of time there and still have some very good friends there.

Does that count?

·
newfieannie
9,195 Posts
Dutchie said:
I am an honorary citizen of Fleur de Lis on the Baie Verte Peninsula. Used to spend a lot of time there and still have some very good friends there.

Does that count?
Oh, absolutely! I forgot about you Dutchie! .....Georgia.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
WARNING.... THREAD DRIFT

newfieannie said:
by the way, I was talking to my real estate guy the other night and he has lots of friends in New harbour and Dildo and he knows of your family's Bakery.
Georgia.
Not that I doubted such a place.....but had to do a bit of research cause the only thing I know as a dildo is a B.O.B. and I dont mean the Bachelor or a "Bug Out Bag"!!!!!

Wikipedia is so nice to give some "See Also's"

along with Dildo
Conception Bay
Intercourse, Pennsylvania

sorry.....
*wanders off to find that deeply embarrassed smilie!*
Rachel

·
newfieannie
9,195 Posts
RachAnn in NW Okla said:
WARNING.... THREAD DRIFT

Not that I doubted such a place.....but had to do a bit of research cause the only thing I know as a dildo is a B.O.B. and I dont mean the Bachelor or a "Bug Out Bag"!!!!!

along with Dildo
Conception Bay

sorry.....

Rachel
Actually Rachael. there was a few people who wanted it changed some years ago but the older folks wanted it to remain. at least that is what i was told.
maybe Dean knows more about it. ...Georgia.

·
AppleJackCreek
3,717 Posts
I'm not a Newfie myself, but I lived in Fort McMurray for some time and have been mistaken for one - after spending all day with them I'd end up saying 'tree' instead of 'three' and everyone whose name I can't recall is "Buddy"!

My best friend is from Plum Point, and at one point I had a map of NL on my office wall, with pushpins for the home towns of my coworkers. We could've done a two week bus tour of the Rock and stayed with families in every town, never needing a hotel!

Can't wait to go "home to the place I've never been." It's way up there on my list of things to do!

·
newfieannie
9,195 Posts
That's us for sure! never need a hotel if you can find a newfie! as a matter of fact in a couple of months when i get settled i'll have a bit more room to welcome anyone.!
not sure when you left fort Mcmurrary but my son is still working there. you're right .lots of newfies there. ....Georgia.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I have a friend that did a hunting trip to Newfoundland a couple years ago. He was extremely impressed.
Great people and very nice country. I was a bit jealous looking at his pics. You guys have a little slice of heaven there.

·
Registered
522 Posts
frazzlehead said:
I'm not a Newfie myself, but I lived in Fort McMurray for some time and have been mistaken for one !
I hear the 1/2 the population of Fort McMurray is from Newfoundland and the other 1/2 wish they were [from there]. :)

·
Premium Member
15,516 Posts
RachAnn in NW Okla said:
WARNING.... THREAD DRIFT

along with Dildo
Conception Bay

sorry.....
Rachel
Oh I understand. My mind tends to wander too. I remember the first time I saw B.O.B here and almost fell out of my chair!

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
RachAnn in NW Okla said:
WARNING.... THREAD DRIFT

along with Dildo
Conception Bay

sorry.....
Rachel

try this link

http://www.baccalieutourism.com/baccalieu/photo7.htm

dean

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hugh thread drift.....

gather 'round me harties, whilst i spin a little yarn about how the little town of Dildo got its name.

waaaaaay back when a group of fisherman and their families went wandering from the town of Trinity one day they rounded a headland with cliffs 80 feet from landwash to peak. behind this impressive scarp was a tiny cove with deep water, and shelter from all but southerly winds, there was wood aplenty in the hills, and game in the forrest and fish in the arm and in the sounds and by the islands that dotted the bay in that area. and in the understated manner of their forfathers and in the manner of thier decendents they said "it'll do." and in the percular way of most Newfoundlanders and in the manner that our dialect evolved over the years "it'll do cove" became Dildo.

this is the story i heard as a kid but who knows.

dean

1 - 15 of 15 Posts