are there no saanens out there?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by allenslabs, Sep 5, 2005.

1. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

I have had no luck in my search for a saanen! Anybody? Thanks!

2. sheep tamer

sheep tamer former HT member

3. redcedarfarm

redcedarfarm Active Member

4. trnubian

trnubian Twin-Reflection Nubians

Did you get ahold of Cindy Eslava? I thought she told me the other day that she had one or two to sell. I'll have to ask her. There aren't a lot of saanens around here for some reason. I think they are beautiful, but I'll stick with my Nubes. :D Good luck!

You might try Tim Flickenger. He raises Sable saanens but he might have a purebred saanen for sale.
    His e-mail is sablegoats@aol.com

5. allenslabs

Well I found one! It's not reg or anything but she's a small little white goat just like my Nanny and looks all saanen. Snow white with those perky ears. I am bringing her home tomorrow. He's a backyard breeder and buys and sells and had mainly alpine or boer but he had 2 saanens. He said one was a reg secca? But I'm telling you it was a saanen. He said she came with papers as a sec(c)a? Not the one I'm getting but the other one. I'd never heard of it. Anyhow I'll let you all know how it turns out.
    I liked all the saanens I found but just couldn't spend $200 on a goat when I already have 6 and these are mainly a hobby. Hubby would freak I think! HAHA!!

6. Milk n' Honey

Milk n' Honey Well-Known Member

Where do you live in IN? I am West of Indy. I was looking for my first milking doe and was leaning towards a Sannen. Well, the lady around the corner about a mile from me was the first person I called to see about dairy goats and you wouldn't believe what she had to sell. A Sannen!! They are very difficult to find. Many are crosses if you don't get a registered one. Mine is full-blooded and was once a 4-H goat and even had papers at one time but she is older and papers have been lost. I don't know if you can trace that and get papers on them after the original is lost. She does have a tattoo in her ear. Oh well. I would love to breed her to a full Sannen but I think the nearest breeders to where I live would be Terre Haute and I don't have a truck or trailer!! That would be a long drive with a goat in the back of my van. I don't think I'll be attempting that one!! Anyway, good luck with your new baby!!

7. Milk n' Honey

Milk n' Honey Well-Known Member

Oh, BTW, did I mention that I was glad I chose a Sannen? Honey is my baby. They have a low tone sound, much different than the louder and higher pitched Nubians (which I love also). Honey is so calm and I think they have a lovely and noble look about them. She looks striking in the pasture. Good luck again. I hope your Sannen is as much joy as mine has been and continues to be. Also, if you plan on milking, they have awesome tasting milk and lots of it. Honey was producing about 1 gallon/day when I got her. Take care!!

8. allenslabs

Oh I love the saanen I have now. I hope this other one is just as fun. Glad you like yours.