Are there any hardy tree fruits that do NOT need spraying?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Terri, May 31, 2005.

1. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I would like to raise tree fruits to sell, but if you do not spray the ones I have they will get worms. As a rule of thumb, I eat my fruit with a knife in one hand to pare out any bad spots it might have.

I do not expect any customers to be so accomodating, though. I already have-and sell- berries but I would like to expand. I have all of the berries that I can tend to, but tree fruits would be worked, harvested, and sold at a different time.

The trouble is, I truly hate to spray more than anything. And, when I spray upwards, some of the spray lands on me. EEEEWWWW!!!! :eek:

Now, I have raised apricots, cherries, apples, and pears for out own use. All of them will get worms, and some of them you cannot tell by looking at them that they HAVE them.

Are there any tree fruits that I have not tried that do NOT get wormy without spraying? I live in zone 5, so bananas just won't work.

2. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

We've had pretty good luck with plums. They aren't great huge pretty ones like the store sells, but they are sweeter. Problem is, I have no idea what variety ours are. Elderberries aren't exactly a tree fruit, but they are indestructible. Best of luck! I'm interested to see what suggestions you get.

3. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

If you spray with either neem oil or pyrethrin (permethrin is the synthetic version) you are completely safe from the insecticide. Doesn't matter a whit if it gets on you.

4. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

Where are you located? Zone 5 doesn't tell enough. You may be able to grow all kinds of fruit without spraying them with unpleasant chemicals, but you may need to do lots of work with orchard sanitation, trapping of pests, etc.

Jim

5. sue currin

sue currin Well-Known Member

In Ashville NC, COG has been spraying organic apple trees and pear trees with a water/ clay mixture with great results, the only draw back is you have to respray it every time it rains. you can get the imfo from COG which is carolina organic growers association. The study has been going on for 6 years and it works. the clay is ready available.

6. TrailDog

TrailDog Member

Some other organic spray options:

* Fixed copper for control of fire blight, rust, scab and other diseases;
    * Bordeaux mixture (copper sulfate + hydrated lime) for peach leaf curl;
    * sulfur for control of brown rot on peaches

7. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

"Damson" is a northern plum...they are narrow and hardy all the way to Atlantic Canada.

8. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Not a tree, a vine instead, but bears a great fruit is the muscadine. It is native to NC and has no known pest of any consequence. Great for eating and for making wine.