Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am guessing yes because they are $50 cheaper than the plastic ones.... I take it in for the winter, I know it definitely wouldn't survive the snow.
I am thinking that cutting corners here isn't a good choice...

Right now I have a big plastic one and I use buckets, but the buckets quickly get taken over by mosquito larvae. I am also coming to the conclusion I could put nets over the 5 gal buckets....

Do you catch water?

·
Registered
11,431 Posts
We used several types. We have the blue 55 gallon plastic barrels. Places like Rural King will sell them for $30 and then you have to clean out the industrial oils or gunk lining the inside. I find them from online ads, usually for about $15.
We also use the 275 gallon units that are inside metal caging.
A roll of storm door screen from the hardware store, cut to shape and attached on the outside stop a lot of the bug issues. My wife uses mosquito dunks in the barrels inside of her greenhouse.
Both will outlast the collapsible containers by a long way.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I used a plastic 30 gal garbage can as a source for garden water for awhile. I cut a hole in the plastic cover to snuggly fit a corrugated gutter down spout extension thru it.

If you're worried about mosquitos, just a drop or two of any oil will spread over the surface and form a barrier so they can check in but they can't check out. Unless you drain the water completely, the oil will remain on the surface and not reach a drain hole near the bottom...Even if you did drain it, that little bit of oil won't hurt anything.

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
We use a 30 gallon barrel we got of Craigslist for $15, it had been used for soap from a carwash place. We placed it under a section of gutter on the side of the garage. Cut a round hole in the top to accommodate a 4" plastic plant pot. Put a piece of fine mesh screen in this pot and place another pot on top of the screen. We had an old spigot that we fixed to the bottom side of the barrel. I believe we got the idea of Youtube, just do a search for rain barrel.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts