Are the Christmas things being sold where you are yet?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by glwalker, Aug 29, 2005.

1. glwalker

glwalker Well-Known Member

Last Saturday I was in a grocery store and found a lot of baked goods that are only sold around Christmastime already on the shelves. We have almost a month to go before fall starts, and the Christmas things are already being sold.

2. SherryR

SherryR Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I lived in Bavaria in late 70s, and early 80s and remember being pleased that (where I lived anyway) they weren't so commercial about that kind of stuff . . .

I dont think I've seen any yet, but can't recall if walmart has those plastic green wreaths on the seasonal aisle or not . . . try to get in and out of there as fast as possible, when I must go. That would be the only place I may have noticed.
    SherryR

3. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

NO Christmas stuff on the shelves. But the wife has started her christmas shopping.

4. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

The giant inflatable Christmas lawn "decorations" just hit our local Walmart last week. I don't get it - what a nonsense use of money.

Our Christmas decorating consists of coating a pine cone with peanut butter and bird seed as a gift for the outdoor birds, and cutting a small pine to set up in the goat pen so they can have a festive holiday snack. I honestly don't understand the need to spend hundreds of dollars to by the latest manufactured Christmas "fashion".

Lynda

5. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

unfortunately yes. used to be only wal mart but now even locals are selling it sooner and sooner. I am waiting to start buying xmas stuff at the local fireworks vendor on the fourth of july

6. BeckyW

BeckyW Well-Known Member

I was shocked when I walked into a local store on Saturday and saw an entire aisle of Christmas decorations and Christmas wrapping paper already on the shelves. I'm showing my age when I say I remember when NOTHING Christmas ever hit the shelves until after Halloween.

Autumn is my favorite season and I refuse to overlook it! (We spotted our first bright yellow leaves on the aspen trees this weekend! I'm hanging my autumn wreaths on Friday!)

7. PonderosaQ

PonderosaQ Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes, I've been seeing them for 2-3 weeks now. I can see the craft stores getting supplies in early but decorated trees in the aisles is a bit much in Aug.
    By the time Christmas gets here we'll all be positively bored by the whole thing and not enjoy the season the way one once did.

PQ

8. RedneckWoman

RedneckWoman Well-Known Member

Yup, been on the shelves about a month now. Next year maybe I can get a new Christmas tree at the Easter sale. :rolleyes:

9. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

I was at Lowe's yesterday. Those big, ugly blow up things were already out. I asked a lady why they started so early. She said it takes them over a month just to get all the items out and on the shelves.

10. DW

DW plains of Colorado Supporter

I was in Hobby Lobby and christmas is here in Colorado!

11. Lil in md

Lil in md Well-Known Member

I saw some stuff out here last month last week I went school shopping and in one isle was Halloween in the next was Christmas Go figure I remember nothing showed up till after Thanksgiving Lillie

12. gardentalk

gardentalk Well-Known Member

I wish more people were like you, Becky. It's a dang shame that people of today's generation just don't seem to appreciate the "seasons" and "holidays" (put in double quotes, because I think of them both as products of commercialization). Over the years I have noticed holiday ads as being pushier and pushier and pushier, to the point of desperation. My prediction is this: it won't be long until there is either a global sort of commercialization (i.e., Christmas stuff being sold in stores year-round), or NO holiday stuff being sold at all in stores (i.e., either the stores get fed up with wasting all that money on marketing and advertising and importing 'junk' from other countries, or something like the ACLU puts an end to all this wonderful Christmas spirit in the name of 'freedom of speech'). :)

13. gardentalk

gardentalk Well-Known Member

And, to that I would have said "Bullsh*t. You're just desperate to sell your junk". And, then left in all-out laughter while pointing at the salesman and yelling "He wants to sell Christmas stuff in August!". :angel:

14. TNHermit

TNHermit Well-Known Member Supporter

To bad they have just forgot about THANKSGIVING. No bucks in that

15. Melissa

Melissa member

Those blow up lawn ornaments mystify me. Thinking of the money, resources and time devoted to these blow ups, it is unbelievable.

Yes, I have seen Christmas items in the stores already. I won't be buying any of them though...