Are rain barrels illegal where you live?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by dixon_yankee, Jun 10, 2009.

1. dixon_yankee

dixon_yankee Active Member

I was reading a blog ( http://www.bargaineering.com/articles/poor-mans-guide-to-rain-barrels.html ) about rain barrels as it is something we'd be interested in, and was shocked to learn that having rain barrels is illegal in some Western States...

2. holleegee

holleegee Well-Known Member

http://www.rainkc.com/

I live near Kansas City, Missouri and they have workshops all over town showing you how to make a rain barrel or a rain garden. Not illegal here luckily!

3. Tonya

Tonya Guest

I know there are a few countries in South America where the water company came in and basically bribed the politicians into making gathering rain water illegal. Then they swoop in get huge contracts for supplying water to the country. What really stinks is that in many of these countries the poor can't afford a faucet, let alone all the lines running from the treatment plant to their shack. But if they are caught gathering rain water they get to pay a fine.

4. WildernesFamily

WildernesFamily Milk Maid

5. chickenista

chickenista Original recipe! Supporter

I thought they changed the Colorado law this spring to make it ok to collect water etc.. with a permit and not within cerain urban areas...

6. WildernesFamily

WildernesFamily Milk Maid

I'd have to look into that, haven't heard anything about the law being changed that way. :shrug:

7. ||Downhome||

||Downhome|| Born in the wrong Century

If that where the case here I would start chargeing for use of my property or demand they keep thier water off my private property. the house the barn ect. seems though that thier would be precedents against those laws in a lot of places water is considered I dont know the term but no one can own it. also I dont know how it could be considered depriving someone of thier rights as it will eventually make its back to the system much like the house delays if from hitting ground. Im sure those laws could be challenged with some intelligent arguments and showing of precedents that Im sure exist. I suggest
    a class action lawsuit based on the illegal use of personel property for private gains. I can see driving wells and pumping all the water off but I cant see someone claiming rights to rain water. thats like saying you cant breathe the air because I own it.

8. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

Well, I'm gonna march right out to the back porch and arrest that barrell!

Maybe I can disguise it to look like a decorative garden addition or a fountain.

9. Danaus29

Danaus29 Well-Known Member Supporter

Rain barrels are legal here but cisterns for catching rain water are not. Go figure.

10. Chuck R.

Chuck R. Well-Known Member

Here in KS it’s OK, and so are cisterns.

In fact I just contracted to have a 3000 gallon collection system added to my new barn being built this month.

Chuck

11. countrysunshine

countrysunshine Well-Known Member Supporter

Is that everywhere in Ohio or just where you live?

My son lived in Ohio for a year and a half (and still owns a home there) and he had a cistern.

I am NOT disparaging anyone's state but he found Ohio to be a most unwelcoming and over regulated state in the area he moved. Of course, he came from a county that has no code requirements and doesn't even enforce the state's. Since there were so many oddball local laws I wondered if the cistern thing was regional as opposed to statewide.

Mary

12. pheasantplucker

pheasantplucker Well-Known Member Supporter

"You own the land but not the rain that falls from the sky and lands on the land..." point is, it doesn't land on the land, it lands on your roof, and never touches the land till you use it...For Pete's sake, you're simply "holding" it temporarily and then releasing it when it is of more benefit to you or your plants or your animals...ridiculous law

13. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

14. Kipper

Kipper Well-Known Member