Are rabbit pellets the same as Guinea pig pellets

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by homemom, Apr 19, 2005.

1. homemom

homemom Well-Known Member

We have used rabbit pellets for our guinea pig for 8 years because the guy at the store told us they were the same thing as guinea pig pellets but recently we went to another store and we were told that they are totally different. Does anyone know if there is a difference?

2. Tiffann4k

Tiffann4k Well-Known Member

Check both labels to see if they both have the same ingrediants and the same amounts.

3. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

As far as I can tell the real difference is in the vitamin content. I don't think the rabbit pellets have as much vitamin C as the GP pellets do...and neither one has enough for our piggy...we just supplement with vitamin drops in his water and a chewable vitamin C in his dish every day! What I like is that rabbit pellets come in great big bags or bulk form (though I found the bags cheaper), and GP pellets come in tiny bags that don't last and are expensive...at least around here, anyway.

Sarah

4. posifour11

posifour11 Well-Known Member

sarah j- if you ask your feed store to order it, you can get 50# bags of GP food, it costs us about $15 for it, which is quite a bit cheaper than those small bags.

5. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

There isn't a feed store around here - just the Co op...haven't tried them yet...never even ocurred to me, even though that's where I get the rabbit feed! :rolleyes: Would the Gp feed keep as long as the 8 months required to get through the whole bag for just the one piggie?

Sarah

6. posifour11

posifour11 Well-Known Member

i honestly have no idea about how long it will last. we have 8 of them, so they go through it a bit faster than that.

7. Sherpadoo

Sherpadoo Well-Known Member

You can use rabbit pellets for guinea pigs but it's really important to supplement them with vitamin C. Rabbits require only a fraction of what guinea pigs do. We use oranges, kale, lemons and other veggies and fruits high in Vitamin C. Guinea pigs without enough won't do as well or live as long as they could if they had it. Rabbit pellets have vitamin C in them but it's really not enough for guinea pigs.

8. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

The reason most people buy GP pellets in small bags is because the Vit C degrades so quickly. GP's do have a high Vit C requirement, so make sure to supplement.

Meg

9. homemom

homemom Well-Known Member

Thank you. I give him vitamin c in his water everyday so this might be why he is doing so well on the rabbit pellets. Thank you again

10. okgoatgal2

okgoatgal2 Well-Known Member

we freeze the big bad in smaller bags...and resell some of it for what we pay to friends to give them a hand, too.