are my tomatoes going to be too big?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by crwilson, May 7, 2006.

1. crwilson

crwilson Well-Known Member

Hey everyone I have about 50 tomatoes i started in mid april, with a set out date after may 30th yes thats my supposed last frost free date but could even be later... anyways its may 7th and many of them are about a foot tall now and im scarred there going to start blooming inside or something or just as i put them out and that they wont have enough roots set to produce a nice big crop..... . last year i just bought several plants from a greenhouse in june and they were smaller than the ones i have now yet they started to blossom like two weeks after i set them out... but man did they produce...
    anyways thanks for the help...

2. DrBraeburn

DrBraeburn Well-Known Member

Pull off all the limbs and bury them up to the tops in another container any thing you can take them out of when you want to tansplant them you will have a good root base no problem

3. wvpeach1963

wvpeach1963 WVPEACH (Paula)

You can bury those plants about half way up the stalk. They will produce roots all along the buried stalk and you'll still get fabulous production along with a sturdier plant.

You do have them outside hardening off some where sheltered about now right?

4. akcowgirl

akcowgirl Member

Wow CRwilson you have the same frost free date as me. Are you in Alaska by chance?
    I wish my tomatoes would get a little bigger, they are about 5 to 7 inches tall but very thin stemmed(sp). everyone i have talked to said to plant them in a larger pot about half way up the stems like PP said. Do you have to plant in a greenhouse?

5. crwilson

crwilson Well-Known Member

hey everyone thanks for the info ill try it with half my plants and plant the other half as i did last year.. And I dont live in Alaska although sometimes i wish i did... I live in Nova Scotia in an area surrounded by small mountains and i guess it causes late frosts to occur in the bottom... the rest of my province is pretty much frost free by the 14th