Are my nigerians are getting fat?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Oscar, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Oscar

Oscar Well-Known Member

How can I tell when my nigerian wethers are getting fat? They are busy all day beating up on each other and jumping atound their playset so their activity level is HIGH. Their winter coats are starting to grow in and I' like to make sure they aren't getting too fat or too thin. I know that with Pygmies, you feel along their spine, but they are much more barrel-shaped then my nigerians. They all weigh in around the 40-50lb mark, I think. Have to check my records.

2. trnubian

trnubian Twin-Reflection Nubians

You feel thei ribs. If you can see their ribs, they are too thin. if you have to push to fell for ribs, they are too fat. If you feel their ribs, and run your hand along them, they shouldn't be jutting out AT ALL, but you should still be able to feel them. Kind of like they have fat up to the sides of their ribs, a rib and then some more fat.

I personally like to have my goats a little chuby going into winter and throughout winter, it helps keep them warm.

3. Oscar

Oscar Well-Known Member

Based on the rub test, I now know EXACTLY who the food hogs (fast eaters) are. I think ONE is plenty fat now, but the others may have to be fed seperately to be sure they're getting their fair share.