Are my goons gonna freeze?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by SDjulieinSC, Dec 8, 2006.

1. SDjulieinSC

SDjulieinSC Well-Known Member

It was pretty cold and windy here last night (at least in my opnion), around 19 degrees this morining. When I went out last night around 11 PM to do my final "tuck everybody in" check my 2 goats were laying in the corner of their pen rather than in their dog house. I put a little extra fresh straw in yesterday afternoon as I knew the temps were going to drop, but nothing else is different about their lodgings. Wondering why they they decided to camp out in the open last night? I'm not sure if they ever got in last night because they were bouncing all over the place waiting for me to feed them this am. I'm sure that they are smart enough to get in their house if they need to right? They usually are in it all the time. Please tell me I'm being silly and to quit worring so much.

2. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

the only thing that comes into my mind is that maybe there is too much amoniak smell in the dog house or too much humidity?
    my does are not going out if windy and cold, well at least not free will :rolleyes:

3. SDjulieinSC

I do the climb in and smell thing ( I'm sure thats a cute sight with my rear end hanging out for the world to see) every day and remove any soiled bedding. The bedding is stripped completely (stinky or not) every Saturday, igloo cleaned and new straw added. I figure if I wouldn't want to sleep in it why would they? I honestly don't think it's 'cause it's icky. Is there something I am missing that they are not? I THOUGHT I was doing right. How can I do better?

4. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

Your worring way to much...6 degrees this morning here on the Cumberland Plateau. My goats sleep all over the place, their tougher than you think. No harm in worring, just don't worry to much.!!!

5. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Animals are much tougher than we are. They know when they are comfortable. My Coonhound has a nice straw "nest" in the barn, but I often find him in the morning sleeping in the yard

6. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

maybe i should have asked what breed you have? :)
    maybe the others are right and you worry way too much. if they are getting cold they will go in.

7. Sher

Sher Well-Known Member

I understand your concern..mine do the same darned thing..and its been really cold here too. Heck..Tues. late afternoon.right before dark..Ruthie a first timer..decided not to use the huts..not to use the shed and had two kids outside! Kids made it..glad we were here.

Great to know I'm not a mother hen all by myself!

8. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

I know, I shake looking at them outside, but I have to remember that mine have Cashmere sweaters on them already.

9. SDjulieinSC

Thank you for comforting me. They kept looking at me like I was an idiot last night as I was trying to coax them into their house!! Picture this.....me in my fancy work party dress and heels crawling into the house to show them how much better it is inside, all the while they are jumping on my back and head having a great time. I'm begining to wonder if they do these things to us just to get a little goat chuckle. Creeps!
    By the way they are "pig-mees" ( they have me convinced they are always STARVING).