Are my estimates reasonable for siding?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Jena, Nov 3, 2006.

1. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

My insurance is paying for new siding on my house due to storm damage.

The contractor gave me a price that is basically $400/square for vinyl siding. It is Royal Crest siding, .040 mils. This does not include the soffits.

His price for aluminum siding was $560/square.

I'll just get the vinyl, I think, but am not sure if I ought to insist on a better quality than the one he usually uses.

The insurance company's original estimate was at $356/square to replace the aluminum. That is a big difference, but then they accepted the contractor's estimate without complaint under my garauntee replacement coverage.

What do you all think?

Jena

2. CatsPaw

CatsPaw Who...me?

Well, I'm curious to see what eve'body else has to say about this.

I just paid $1200 for 14 sq.s of SmartSiding (engineered wood siding) that I'll be installing myself.

Wow....$300/sq. profit......I should get into siding.

3. CatsPaw

CatsPaw Who...me?

I guess that should be qualified by saying that would probably include tear-off.

4. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Had new siding put on one story 1450 sq. ft. house this summer. Canalex, which is a durable 50 yr. warranty siding. Just under $5000. For the same job using vinyl it would have been $1500 less. I'm not sure how many 'square' that is for a total.

5. 4sarge

4sarge Well-Known Member

Old info but I think about 20 years ago, I paid 100 a square for the vinyl installed :nerd: No wonder, everyone needs two incomes to survive :shrug:

6. texican

texican Well-Known Member

Jena, for that price, I could put up cedar or cypress, that'd last forever... whether that price is high or not depends on whether a storm came through your area, damaging a lot of homes,.....how busy the contractors are, etc... supply and demand issues....

I would want something besides vinyl, at that price, like say redwood :p !!!

...of course, if insurance is paying, it's not 'real money' anyway, right? Until the premiums come due next time....

good luck

7. hoofinitnorth

hoofinitnorth Well-Known Member

We just put vinyl siding on our place. We bought all the materials for about $4,000 (tools too) and the house is a 1.5-story 2,000sf building with dormers & soffits. Not sure how you guys are converting that to squares (just length by height??)... Our roof is peaked and has two levels - 18' high at one point and 22' high at the other. Building measures about 28' on the gable ends and 48' on the long ends (sides with dormers)... I did a couple of down and dirty calcs and didn't come up with anywhere near the OP's costs but I wasn't accounting totally for the peaked roof...

8. Selena

Selena proud to be pro-choice

Sounds high to me unless the vinyl is foam backed which gives additional insulation to your house. Foam backed siding costs at least $140 per square and if you double that for labor, you are at $280 - $300 per square. Tear off adds costs between labor and disposal BUT if you have aluminum siding on your house, YOU should recycle it. I'd bet a diet coke the contractor plans on cashing in on that so make sure to ask. Soffits and other items (wrapping doors and windows) should be bid on running feet. I hope you have breakdown of the charges. You can calculate your own material estimate too then make some calls to a big box or lumber yard. I will say that insurance repairs tend to cost more money as the contractor probably has factored some "surprise" dollars into the cost. You could minimize this by agreeing to a time and material cost for any outside the scope items the contractor finds (and you agree needs to be fixed/replaced). Are they putting tyvac on your house before they re-side? So many unknowns. I don't believe my spouse knows any trades in your area but if you can PM your # of squares and running feet for soffits, I can check out what we paid earlier this year for an investment house the spouse built. And I do know that a roof tear-off will run you at least $100 per square in case this is being done too.