Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have buff brahmas that are about 7 weeks old now. We kept them inside until about 4 weeks old then moved them out into the coop we built for them. we now let them out into the run in the mornings and put them back into the coop when the sun starts to set. when we put them in the coop they all huddle up against the wall in a big pile making all sorts of crazy noise. They stay in a pile through the night. they are fully feathered so I wouldn't think they are cold but that is sort of how they are acting, except different. I don't want them to be unhappy in the coop! Could this just be from them not being able to go in the coop by them selfs or because it is dark?

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Nah, my full grown chickens decided to roost in trees as opposed to using their coop. They all sat huddled on one branch. Twelve full grown Australorps. The branches kept breaking and they would choose another one and AGAIN, every single chicken would pile on. Poor tree ended up with like three branches. I think chickens are evidently very social and like to cuddle.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
You could try putting a heat lamp out there though since they're only seven weeks. If they huddle around it they're cold. If they huddle away from it They weren't. At least that would solve your cold worry. But til they get used to the coop being their specific night time home, they will prolly be upset you stuck them in there. Just takes time.

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
You could try putting a heat lamp out there though since they're only seven weeks. If they huddle around it they're cold. If they huddle away from it They weren't. At least that would solve your cold worry. But til they get used to the coop being their specific night time home, they will prolly be upset you stuck them in there. Just takes time.
give them a 60 watt light a few feet off the floor, sounds like they are cold to me. Mine are almost 3 months old and they like the light, they use it a good bit. As long as they have room to get away from the heat they are fine.

·
HOW do they DO that?
2,849 Posts
If they are not dong the loud distress cheeping, you've probably heard this at least several times in the past 7 weeks, they are probably fine.

You don't have a location so I don't know what kind of climate you live in...but if they are fully feathered and there's enough of them to make a 'big pile', they are probably plenty warm and I wouldn't want to acclimate them to a heat lamp if it's not absolutely necessary.

My chicks did this chatting(loves secuono's description) when settling into their pile for the night even in the brooder in the house. It was alarming at first, and annoying after awhile, until I realized they were OK and just winding down from a long day before nodding off.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Don't over think it too much....

Chickens have been living in far worse conditions than yours for eons. Unless you live on the attic circle the temp should be fine for them.

You changed their whole world when you moved them, it takes a little while for them to learn the coop is home.

Just keep doing what your doing and shut them in there every night for two of three weeks. You will start seeing then start going in toward dusk after a few days. Mine have only needed 3 or 4 days before I would go out and they would all be inside.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Our girls were twice as old ( ready to lay _ ha ha ) when they arrived.

It was hot enough we were concerned About them drinking enough as they were stressed from the "journey".

70 deg F night , full feathers and still huddled on the roosts!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Our girls were twice as old ( ready to lay _ ha ha ) when they arrived.

It was hot enough we were concerned About them drinking enough as they were stressed from the "journey".

70 deg F night , full feathers and still huddled on the roosts!

They are huddled because they are scared, not cold.

Chickens tend to freak out when you move them to a new home.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I had to TEACH my babies to roost, as the pole was there but they didn't know what to do with it. It's been very hot here and having them piled up in a corner concerned me that they'd smother each other. Once I got them up on the roost, they all went: "Hey...this is pretty cool!" and have roosted ever since.

I considered it like teaching my son to learn how to ride a bike...LOL.

·
Registered
9 Posts
In addition to what others are saying here, I think Brahmas are pretty sensitive in general. I have Brahmas right now and they are often timid of new things (it took them forever to get brave enough to come out of their coop to forage and longer to convince them it was safe to go back in). I'd just give them some time, sprinkle out some of their favorite treats and eventually they'll come around. Mine still are a little wary when I toss in some veggies for them to have - they have to circle and inspect, and then when one is brave enough to try it and deems them safe, they all swoop in happily.

They're good chickens though. I used to have Rhode Island Reds and some mystery breed I got from the elementary school several years back and they were very feisty and would often chase people around with no fear whatsoever. My Brahmas are very docile.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts