Are My Apples Ripe???

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by big rockpile, Aug 10, 2004.

1. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Don't really knowwhat they are but their nice and Red,softish,sweet taste.The Extension Office said that it should be another month.I don't want any Critters or Bugs getting into them.

Wife says she thinks they are ripe,says there is no Green tatse to them.

big rockpile

2. stuckinsd

stuckinsd Well-Known Member

My aunt taught me this one, she lived in Washington State and grew many types of apples, cherries, berries and all types of fruits. Take an apple and cut it across the middle, like at the equator if it were the globe, and then slice a very thin piece off of this through the whole apple (BTW, when you slice an apple in half this way you get to see the star that the core and seeds make), then hold it up to the light...there is a faint "sugar ring" that appears around the core of the apple, and it starts at the core, and as the apple gets riper the ring spreads out toward the peel...your apples are ripe when the ring is near the peel. Apples usually are sweeter after a light frost. Hope this helps, stuck...

3. GRHE

GRHE Mountain Ogre

First thing I would say is go by taste and texture, not what the extension agent says. Once it starts getting soft and apple is never going to get any firmer. As to when it should be ripe that depends on your location, the variety, and the weather pattern you have had this year. One rule of thumb is if the seeds are dark the apple is ripe. A problem with this rule though is that there are some apples that the seeds never get dark, and others that are simply not much good after they do get ripe. If you have a variety that will hold long enough, sugar ring apples are indeed amongst the best you will ever get, but usually that takes a freeze or heavy frost and a variety that is still firm enough at that time to hold up to the condition. BTW, if you want to store the apples for an extended time you want to also pick them a bit early to get them to hold up better. You usually need to sacrifice a little taste to get them to store for longer. I myself go by my own taste for ripeness. On a variety I don't know as well I will pick the bulk of them when they taste good, but leave a few to see if they improve so I know for the next year.

4. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Rocky, since it is cool out, and the skeeters have eased off, take a lawn chair out under the tree, and sit there enjoying the view. While you are sitting there eat at least 6 of the apples. If you can get to the bathroom without dropping the chair, they are ripe.

5. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Hehe Uncle Will :p

But yes, if they taste good, sounds like they're ripe to me! I didn't know there was any other way to tell ;)

6. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Well the Boss said their ready so I picked them.Been Canning and Drying them.

Oh I cooked Supper last night,cooked up Back Strap,with Hickory Smoke Flavor,Sliced up Apples over it.Had Greenbeans and Potatoes.And sliced Tomatos.

big rockpile